“Amazing Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Jan Smuts Avenue | Westcliff, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa (Formerly The Westcliff)   |
Ranked #11 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
South Africa
“Amazing Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had booked a birthday breakfast for my husband at the lovely Westcliff Hotel.
From the time we stepped out the car, we were met with the most friendly, courteous people.
The restaurant had arranged a secluded area for us to dine - a lovely birthday card with a breakfast voucher that I paid in advance for was placed at the table courtesy of the Westcliff.
The buffet was laid out well and everything was yummy.
At the end of breakfast the waiters came out with a slice of cake and sand Happy Birthday. Me and my husband were surprised as I did not arrange it - they thought of everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our courteous staff and our quality food, we are just thrilled you enjoyed the birthday celebration and glad our singing wasn’t too bad !

I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our entire team, it’s nice to receive such heartfelt comments.

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is definitely a luxury resort.

The views are amazing! We didn't get a room with a view, so we could only enjoy it at the main hotel/restaurant. There's nothing like having breakfast with all of Johannesburg to take in!

Everyone is certainly friendly, but after backpacking across South Africa for the last two weeks and coming in from the bush, my husband and I definitely didn't fit into their typical clientele. It was a little bit awkward, but the front desk and all of the employees were very friendly and didn't seem to mind that we were dusty from our trek.

It is a bit of a pain to have to wait for transportation to get to your room. I like to go where I want to go, when I want to go. So having to wait for the transportation was a waste of time, and we ended up walking around the property (which is very large).

I enjoyed my experience, but I don't think I'd go back. I just wasn't the most comfortable there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience at the Westcliff on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to share your kind words to the Front Desk for their “friendly welcome”, they truly deserve every bit of praise.

The hotel is unique, being built on the side of a small cliff, which does present some transport issues, I am sorry the shuttle vans were not acceptable, we will be adding an elevator for the restaurants, along the side of the building, which may assist a little, but ultimately, there will always be a lot of walking around this hotel.

We hope you had a safe trip home; thanks again for your feedback.

London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The location is stunning, with some of the best views in Johannesburg, but it is not particularly convenient if one is there on business. The rooms were comfortable and attractive, but need upgrading and, in particular, need more sound protection from the traffic noise of the nearby main road. The restaurant was a delightful place to have breakfast in the sun, but the service there at dinner the previous night was terribly slow. The leisure facilities, in particular the pool and the tennis court, are very good and unlike what is available in other Johannesburg hotels. My conclusion: I would return there if I was in Johannesburg on leisure, but not on business where the sub-optimal location and slow service count against it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you very kindly for sharing your feedback with me, we actually take all guest feedback very seriously, and in fact I have already posted your comments to our team and will speak further regarding the service levels during dinner.

The hotel is starting to show shines of being tired, and in fact this is why we are thrilled to be slated for a full refurbishment starting early July. This will include all guest rooms, restaurants and banquets, as well all new uniforms for the team; we are giving this old gem a real polish.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We slept 1 night in one of the standard rooms with a balcony. The hotel is located just off the highway and easy to find. As it was a really special occasion, we thought it might help to mention this in the reservation, but apparantly it only happens to other tripadvisor travellers that they get surprise upgrades or something special in their room because of special occasions! We had the Higher Tea on Sunday and it was a lavinsh spread. Everything was beautifully displayed and tasted great. The Le Terasse overlooks the city and is a very special and elegant dining area. We also had great service in there. We were less impressed with the salmon that we ordered for room service, it just was'nt as good as expected. The room was a good size and a lavish a spacious bathroom. Unfortunately the soap rack above the bath was missing it's glass base so was good for nothing (see photo). While one of us was in the bath the room service arrived and we realised that the bathroom door could not close properly. As we tried one more time we heard a big bang and one of the panels from the bath fell off (see photo). Later when my hubby was in the bath I tried one more time to close the bathroom door and I kid you not, another panel from the bath came off! This did not feel like 5 star. Breakfast was adequate but not like what I have seen at other 5 star hotels. This hotel is by no means cheap, especially for locals! The grounds around the hotel are stunning and very well kept. There is also a convenient shuttle that goes up and down the hill every few minutes so you don't have to walk everywhere - it is quite a big property. Although it was an enjoyable stay, I would next time stay elsewhere when looking for a 5 star property as there are a number of top notch establishments in and around Jhb.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience at the Westcliff on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to read of so many missed opportunities to impress. You are right, we take great pride in offering up surprises to our guests with special occasions happening, sorry we failed to provide this for you, really I am.

The hotel has served us very well, but as you noticed, it is getting very tired and ready for a face-lift, this is why I am thrilled to announce a full refurbishment starting very soon. This will include all guest rooms, restaurants and banquets, as well all new uniforms for the team; we are giving this old gem a real polish.

I was sorry to read of the salmon issues, normally our food gets rave reviews, hopefully this was just a once off.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely. The beds are comfortable and the service is good. The favial i had with their sugnature products was goid as well. I really enjoyed my tomato soup at the polo lounge.

There were a few little things that surprised me though that they need to work on:

1) The phones at both this hotel and the mount Nelson (where I stayed in CapeTown) are terrible. They are out dated and didn't work well at either hotel. They had to remove one of the phones in my room because it would randomly ring once or twice and hour for no reason.

2) the scale provided was outdated as well and not functional.

In general, it looks like the hotel put a lot of money into their bathrooms and such, but for some reason the little things were all out dated.

Once they get the little things fixed it will be a better hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience at the Westcliff on TripAdvisor. You are right; the hotel does look a little outdated, this is why I am thrilled to announce a full refurbishment starting very soon. This will include all guest rooms, restaurants and banquets, as well all new uniforms for the team; we are giving this old gem a real polish.

new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed overnight enroute to Livingstone as part of a packaged excursion off the Queen Mary 2.
The hotel was stunning and there was little reason for wanting to leave the property and venture into Johannesburg as apparently the only safe places were purported to be shopping malls which I had little interest in. The polo bar was in particular a great place for relaxing, the pool had a great view and the setting amongst the gardens and shrubbery of the rooms was a credit to the gardeners.
The rooms are a little "laura ashley" for my taste but did not detract from the overall experience, the large bath and the accompanying accroutrement with it particulary appreciated.
Fantastic dinner and breakfast. Would have no hesitation about staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hil closer to the restaurant had bettere access to the facilities and were l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our staff and the hotel, I will be sure to pass your kind comments to the entire team. The grounds are stunning, our crew of 8 dedicated men do a wonderful job tending to our gardens.

There is a lot to see in Jo’burg, and one must not be too worried to venture out, if you visit the many tourist destinations, you will be safe, one must always have their wits about them in any big, cosmopolitan city, Jo’burg is no different.

We definitely hope to see you back again soon.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a beautiful property with stunning views from the restaurant. The food in the restaurant and in the more casual dining area is excellent. Breakfast is more than generous. The rooms are huge and the bathrooms are palatial.

On the minus side, the hotel’s cars and tours are ridiculously expensive and the free shuttle does not go to the mall frequently enough – as a result one feels somewhat stuck at the hotel. I eventually got the name of a private taxi service from a local contact so that improved things.

Also, some of the hotels rooms need a little bit of sprucing up. I had to move rooms in the middle so I saw several rooms.

I was there for an event that took place at the hotel so I did not have to go out each morning for business or for tourism. I am not sure how the hotel would rate in terms of convenience in Johannesburg.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience at the Westcliff on TripAdvisor. You are right; the hotel does need “sprucing up”, this is why I am thrilled to announce a full refurbishment starting very soon. This will include all guest rooms, restaurants and banquets, as well all new uniforms for the team; we are giving this old gem a real polish.

I was sorry to read of the shuttle issues, as this van is available to go to mall whenever requested. There is no schedule, when requested, we send the van to either Rosebank or Sandton; I am very sorry this was not clearly conveyed.

Ian Jones

Been to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg? Share your experiences!