“service par excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Jan Smuts Avenue | Westcliff, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa (Formerly The Westcliff)   |
Ranked #11 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Kroonstad
“service par excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

After experiencing some diificulty with our initial requests when doing the reservation, all our expectations were satisfied. At arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite, the room was spasious and well equipped, lovely bathroom, good linen etc. We received a complimentary bottle of champagne and that was the standard of service set for the remainder of the weekend. Afternoon cocktails and tapas at The Polo Bar was a highlight, beautiful view over the zoo and rimflow pool. Dinner at the restaurant, La belle Terrace did not meet our expectations. Saterday afternoon "high Tea" was a delight, one can surely plan a whole day around the "high tea". Gardens in the hotel area are immaculate. The buildings are probably due for a revamp/maintenance. It was a very relaxing weekend I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and for the kind words about our staff, and the hotel, specifically the Polo Bar; I will be sure to pass along your kind words.

We are in fact planning a full refurbishment in 2013, which will address the need to modernize our guest rooms. Be sure to visit us again in late 2013 to see all the changes.

I was saddened to read of your LaBelle Terrasse disappointment. I am sure our new Executive Chef Klaus Beckmann would also be disappointed and I wonder if you could drop me a line to share in more detail your experience, so we could be sure to improve for future guests? My email address is ian.jones at westcliff dot co dot za.

Warm regards,

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Built on a cliff side. Staff is amazing from the minute you arrive. Couldn't be more helpful if they tried. Amazing views. Restaurant, bar and pool very relaxing, excellent oid and drink. Can't beat the infinity pool. Well located by zoo lake and overlooking the zoo. Also close to shopping malls. Best place (of 2) I've stayed at in jo'burg. Will gladly go back every time. Bathrooms nice and new. Bedroom could use a modernization

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback and for the kind words about our staff, and the hotel. We are in fact planning a full refurbishment in 2013, which will address the need to modernize our guest rooms. This refurbishment will also include our two Restaurants, Spa and our extensive Conference Centre; an exciting time indeed.

Be sure to visit us again in late 2013 to see all the changes.

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Decided to splurge in Johannesburg and not take any chances with safety. The service was impeccable, beautiful marble washrooms. They have a shuttle that will take you to any shopping mall the area for free (we went to the Sandton, about 20 minutes away).

Be careful with the hotel phone... completely forgot about the ridiculous charges 5 star hotels have on room phones.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your feedback and for the kind words about our staff, and the hotel. I am very lucky to be the new General Manager of the Westcliff, the team here are very passionate about their jobs and care a great deal about the hotel and our guests, a nice treat for a GM.

I am sorry you found our phone charges too high, I will be sure to review them to ensure we are competitive with other 5 star hotels in the market.

I hope you had a safe trip home.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The view from our balcony was exceptionally beautiful taking in the jacaranda blooms set amongst the crisp green of the trees towards the north of Jo'burg.
My partner and I spent two days here on the way home from our holiday in Namibia and found the experience very relaxing after a fairly hectic two weeks touring.
The traditionally styled room was spotlessly presented and spacious and had everything we needed to ensure we had a comfortable stay. The dressing room combined with the luxurious bathroom was well designed and meant that the bedroom with sitting area had the feel of a suite rather than a standard room.
I was most impressed with the attention to detail in the appointment of the rooms and from the staff members who made every effort to provide the highest level of service.
Should we return to Jo'burg I would look no further than the Westcliff for our accommodation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and for the kind words about our staff, especially the Housekeeping team; I will be sure to pass along all your kind words.

I am very lucky to be the new General Manager of the Westcliff, the team here are very passionate about their jobs and care a great deal about our guests, a nice treat for a GM.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Great hotel for sure. It is basically a group of villas in a cliff, pretty much in front of the Johannesburg Zoo. These were supposed to be private villas in a gated community but the developer sold it and it became a hotel.
Rooms are a little dated BUT the bathrooms are amazing. Lots of space, separate showers, nice comfy tubs and lots of marble everywhere.
The views are indeed amazing and having breakfast at the terrace where the pool is, is a must.
Great staff and food as well.
Pricey for local standards but definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important for our continued success in Johannesburg.

I am very lucky to be the new General Manager of the Westcliff, and being a fellow Canadian myself, it is nice to see someone all the way from Ottawa was able to enjoy our spectacular views.

Thank you as well for your kind comments about our staff, I will be sure to pass them along to my team.

I hope you had a safe trip home, warm regards.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

After a decade, still my first choice for sundowners overlooking the Joburg Northern suburbs. I adore the pool area and the Polo Lounge serves excellent cocktails in a cool colonial surrounding. The rooms and reception areas are tastefully appointed and I especially love the gardens with their charming fountains and alcoves. I have been treating myself to visits here for years and am always made to feel like family the moment I arrive. Birthdays are especially marvelous with an extra effort made with personalised desserts for the person celebrating their big day and much merriment from the super staff. Great staff and a stunning venue overall! I will be enjoying cocktails there this evening in fact! A must for anyone wanting a classy experience.

• Stayed November 2012
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important to our continued success in the local Johannesburg food & beverage scene.

As the GM it may not be fair of me to say, but I do agree with you about the Polo Lounge, what superb spot. Mark and his team offer a wonderful dining & drinking experience, and you’re right, we do great birthday parties, please come by and visit us again very soon.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Westcliff In Johannesburg is visually a very pleasant hotel. It's about 45minutes from the airport on the other side of the city and is basically like a little Mediterranean village of separate pink buildings all connected by a winding roadway on which the hotel staff will shuttle you around in golf carts. The trees are neatly trimmed (into spheres in some cases) and the views from the balconies are of one of the nicest, and greenest, parts of the city. I shunned the shuttle service in favour of the walking paths between the various levels. If you take that you pass "secret" gardens and odd little court yards with paths that go nowhere but it's a lot more fun. You get issued a (not very helpful) map when you first arrive and you can spot newbies from your balcony standing below turning the map round and round trying to make sense of it. So we've established it's all very nice to look at. Service during my visit was friendly if not particularly efficient but the staff smile a lot which is difficult not to like. At the top of the "hill" you've got a very clubby Polo themed bar with a fairly informal restaurant and a much smarter looking affair for posher food. Also up there is the pool which again is quite impressive although you can find yourself lying by it while a corporate drinks reception surrounds your lounger. The gym's small due to lack of space but with a couple of machine and free weights and if you walk up to it from reception you'll have burned more than enough calories already.

The bedrooms (and particularly the bathrooms) are large and comfortable. Interestingly this is the first hotel I've stayed in for a while with no secondary locking method on the door. No chain or catch for example although there is an in room safe. As other people have mentioned having an "old style" TV that rises from a mirrored cube at the foot of the bed is a bit tacky but would cost an awful lot to replace. It's also worth noting that the room service menu offered a selection of items from the Polo bar with a mandatory tray charge & gratuity (which is fair enough to cover the cost of delivery). However the cost of the food was already significantly increased from the restaurant menu which given the tray charge seemed excessive.

Finally although the hotel offers a fairly limited shuttle to shopping centres and some restaurants for free you cant really walk anywhere. I mentioned I was going to walk to the nearby zoo to one member of staff who looked at me in horror and said it would be much better to take a (paid) taxi or hotel car.

Still overall it's a nice hotel because it's unusual but you probably wouldn't want to be based here for too long.

Room Tip: Rooms are in separate buildings but in each case rooms above the ground floor offer better views.