“Great hotel choice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Jan Smuts Avenue | Westcliff, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa (Formerly The Westcliff)   |
Ranked #12 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great hotel choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay here frequently, the staff is very kind and give a great service to the visitors. The rooms are very nice and the beds are amazing. The restaurant and bar are of proper quality and the staff is very kind. The breakfast is very nice and is a real pleasure to start the day there overlooking the valley of Jo-burg zoo.

Room Tip: Normal rooms are already great, I had an upgrade once and this was a real treat with ever more outst...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor, I am thrilled to read of your enjoyment of the Westcliff, I too have enjoyed my first 3 weeks.

I am very lucky to be the new General Manager of the Westcliff, the staff are wonderful, they make all of our guests feel special, as well our new Executive Chef has sure made an impact on the local dining community.

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to see you again.

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This review should be seen in the context of the Westcliff being the hotel where I proposed to my wife, where we had our wedding reception and our first anniversary. My wife and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary at the end of September and spent a night at the Westcliff.

Overall the hotel is fundamentally great. It's in a great location with a view over the northern suburbs and the JHB zoo. From the Westcliff it's easy to see why JHB is called an urban forest. The decor is opulent and fairly traditional so on the plus side it doesn't date easily. The food at the restaurant is great even though it's very pricey. Also the gentleman who served us at breakfast was really friendly and nothing was too much of a bother. We also had an upgrade to a suite which was really nice too. So in short if you can afford it and you are looking for a bit of a break or a quiet spot in a busy city it's a good choice.

Now for my gripes, the head board in our room squeaked. We reported it when one of the staff came by to ask if everything was fine with our room. We asked that it be fixed while we were at supper but unfortunately it wasn't. Fortunately I was able to fix it by stuffing a pillow behind the head board. We stayed on a romsntic package which includes dinner and a rose petal turn-down but the turn-down was done at around 18:30 and when we asked if it couldn't be done while we were at supper, we were told that it's done at that time. So we waited patiently while it was done which took about 15 mins, took some photos of it when it was done and promptly undid it. A bit better scheduling could have made our stay exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important to our continued success in Johannesburg.

I am very lucky to be the new General Manager of the Westcliff, the staff is wonderful, although clearly you did point out a slight deficiency, we need to listen to our guests more and adapt to their schedules. I am very sorry we didn’t accommodate a later turn down service. I have actually shared your feedback with my entire team, as we need to hear what our guests are saying.

I hope you had a nice anniversary despite this slight inconvenience; we look forward to celebrating many more with you and your wife.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a big family lunch on the pool patio last year and it was one of the highlights of our visit to Johannesburg. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding, and the view was lovely. We will be back this year. It was one of the first things on our list. We can't wait to enjoy another wonderful afternoon in your beautiful property and in your warm attention! We think you are unique and splendid. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor, I am thrilled you enjoyed yourself last year and I am sure this year will be even better, especially as we have a new Executive Chef and a new extensive menu, which has been very well received.

This hotel is truly unique in Johannesburg and I am lucky to be the new General Manager, the staff are wonderful, they make our guests feel special, after-all isn’t that what hospitality is all about.

See you soon.

seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights before a safari and for the most part enjoyed it. The room was lovely, although the television was dated. Breakfast buffet in the AM was good but not great, as it lacked diversity. Service was generally good at the hotel with a few hiccups. On one occasion we were offered a ride in a van from the reception area to our room. After getting into the van we were kicked out to make room for a staff member who needed to be dropped off further up the hill. Could not understand this at all. We also tried to buy the same products from the spa that were in our bathroom but they did not have them! Overall, we liked the hotel and its lovely old European type atmosphere, but the hotel needs to address the issues I have raised to be a real five star experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Having just started here as the General Manager, I am quite disappointed to read of your disappointing stay. Reading through the “non-attentive” service issues you experienced is completely, and utterly unacceptable.

Can I ask you to email me directly what items you wished to purchase from the rooms, and I can organize those to be sent to you? My email address is my first and last name “ian jones” with a dot between the names at westcliff dot co dot za.

Once again, I do apologize for the service challenges and trust me when I say; they are all being addressed “one by one”, so our team can remember what 5 star service standards truly are.

I do hope to see you again one day, warm regards.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived after a long flight from Sydney. Airport pickup was perfect and the driver was very friendly and helpful. Email confirmations for transport ahead of arrival were efficient (as this was a concern after reading other TripAdvisor reviews). Our major issue was the fact that one of our interconnecting rooms stank of cigarette smoke - despite being officially "non-smoking" After being told repeatedly that there were no other interconnecting rooms, they managed to find us some. We did not have the great view but at least we could breathe easily. Having to fight for what we had booked and paid for was not a good start to the trip after a 40 hour day and being told no repeatedly before they found us something was tiresome. After this ricky start, we enjoyed the amenities of this pretty hotel. It is made up of converted townhouses - built up a hill - so feels different from your traditional hotel. The breakfast buffet was great with good choices and super friendly service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Having just started here as the General Manager, I am quite disappointed to read of your challenges at check-in. I understand normally they do not have problems with non-smoking rooms smelling, however a guest must have just checked out and broke the rules by smoking in our non-smoking rooms, maybe we should implement a fine for guests who don’t follow the rules, as other hotels do.

The hotel is truly unique and I am lucky because the staff are truly wonderful as well, they make all our guests feel special, after-all isn’t that what hospitality is all about.

I’m glad you enjoyed yourself, even after the check-in disappointment, I will be sure to discuss this with our Front Office Manager; thank you for your feedback.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

On a recent trip to SA I was taken here by a friend. There is a complimentary bus that takes you up to the Polo bar, which is a very nice touch. The views from the pool deck are amazing over what looked like an old established area of JHB. We enjoyed a couple of hours soaking up the sun and sipping on a couple of cocktails. Although we didn't see any rooms I would be very suprised if they were not to a very high standard considering the level of service we received and the apparent attention to detail in other areas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Having just started here as the General Manager, I can and must totally agree with your comments regarding the staff, the Polo Bar and the views from the pool deck, we are truly blessed to have such a property.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the Polo Bar hospitality, please do come back and try our rooms, they are quite spectacular.

Thanks again for your kind words, I will be sure to pass them along to our team, they always love hearing from our guests.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

As a regular business visitor to Johannesburg, I've grown accustomed to the Melrose Arch hotel and the Intercontinental Towers at Sandton. However, this time around all my regular hotels were full and I managed to get in at the Westcliff. I was quit sceptical and was not quite sure what to expect. However, my fears were unfounded and I found the Westcliff to be a delightful retreat from the chaos of Johannesburg and yet not too far from the city centre.
The Westcliff is like a holiday resort, made up of villas and apartment blocks - dotted over the hillside and hanging just over Jozy zoo. It has earned it's sobriquet, the Pink Lady as it stands out from the thick green foliage. The rooms are larger than any comparable hotel with a walk in closet, a balcony and a bathroom the size of a field.
I did not have any meals at the hotel, but breakfast was decent and this place has a reputation for the 'high tea' it serves.
The staff were amazing - nothing was too much trouble and it was always 'service with a smile'. The staff went out of their way to remember your name, which felt a bit like 'Cheers', but was a nice touch.
Highly recommend!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WestcliffGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, I sincerely value all feedback, especially from our satisfied “new customers”. Having just started here as the General Manager, I can and must totally agree with your comments regarding the staff, they are superb, very smiley and all know my name faster than I can learn theirs, truly spectacular.

You are right, the hotel offers a wonderful High Tea, on your next visit, try to find time to enjoy the afternoon in LaBelle Restaurant, over-looking the zoo and all those wonderful Jacaranda trees.

I hope you had a safe trip home, thanks again.

Ian Jones

Been to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg? Share your experiences!