“Superb Corporate lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Superb Corporate lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Despite being a fairly large lunchtime table, with professionals who arrived sporadically throughout the afternoon, the service was slick and professional and attentive and we didn't wait long at all for our food. The food was superb. For starters I had a melon and goats cheese salad. For mains, the lamb shoulder which was soft succulent and perfectly complemented by triple cooked chips! I did have a bit of menu envy when one of my colleagues had his starter, but with a butternut creme brûlée as a choice, you cannot blame me. I skipped dessert, I am afraid to day, but the chocolate tart looked spectacular.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Superior restaurant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I visited DW 11-13 this evening for our 4 year anniversary.

It is difficult to get a booking - so we were pleased when we finally managed to get one.
On arrival, the Maitre D greeted us warmly and showed us to our table.

I found the atmosphere to be lacking, however the decor is understated yet elegant and very nice. I felt the music could have been a) nicer and b) slightly more prominent - almost couldn't tell that there was music.

The menu is lovely - we were hard pressed to pick one starter and one main. We each loved our meals - beautifully presented, incredibly tasty, well seasoned.
Start of the show was my dessert, Strawberry Eton Mess - perfect way to end the meal.

The service was not perfect, but it wasn't bad either. I thought our waitress was a little "unpolished" for the establishment.
It is not cheap - on average R120 for starters and R140 for mains. Looking at about R60 on average for a dessert.

All in all, our meal came to R1300 for 3 courses, 2 white wine spritzers, 3 glasses of red wine and tip.
Will definitely go back, for a special occasion.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Food is very good. Presentation is outstanding. Staff are a bit slow but all in all a pleasant evening out.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johannesburg, South Africa
“a delightful gastronomic experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It took me two months to get a dinner booking confirmed with this restaurant and have often wondered what could be the reason considering this is not even a Michelin Star restaurant. The ambience was slightly a dampner though it was very elegant, understated, without much of a view. It was my husband's birthday and i wished them to add a special touch to the evening, a little surprise of either wishing him or organsing some flowers..something small yet a meaningful gesture. The food was delightful to say the least. We are not large eaters and the mains of grass fed beef fillet and terrine of braised lamb shoulder was perfect including the attention to smallest details of artful presentation. The meat was so tender and flavouful that it left us feeling exhuberant. We shared a dessert of peanut butter parfait, cherry sorbet, warm cherry sauce, red wine poached cherries, hazelnut tuille that again was presented more like a Monet's artwork. The restaurant had a good selection of wine and we ordered some Giorgio Dalla Cia 2007 to pair with the food ordered. Everything was perfect except that the restaurant surely forgot that it was my husband's birthday and they did not go that extra mile to wish him or add a special touch. I started my career in the hospitality industry and have always known that these are the small details that guests remember for many months and years to come. However this also means that service has to go that extra mile and the person taking the order needs to make note.A good restaurant is definitely about food, however people also pay for the ambience, service, and above all the experience. The food though excellent,left a little bit of something to be desired from DW.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
VANDERBIJLPARK
“EXCELLENT EVERY TIME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I eat here often at least twice a month and I never get disappointed. The tasting menu is a wow! My favourite is the foie gra starter, but it is an acquired taste. It must be Johannesburg's best restaurant at the moment.

• Visited November 2012