“Totally blown away!” 4 of 5 stars

House Higgo Boutique Guesthouse
Save Saved
You added House Higgo Boutique Guesthouse to your Saves list
House Higgo Boutique Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   192 Senior Drive | Northcliff Ext 2, Johannesburg 2092, South Africa   |
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
White River, Mpumalanga, South Africa
“Totally blown away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying over at House Higgo recently! I was simply blown away with their attention to detail. The staff were extremely friendly but not obtrusive. Our room was a delight. Extremely clean and neat with loads of extra throws if it got any colder at night! The service in the dining room was excellent and the meal superb. We only had one problem and that was we couldn't stay longer due to other commitments! Thanks to everyone for making our night special and we'll definitely recommend House Higgo to all our friends!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hermanus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Unfriendly on arrival.Room grubby, furniture not clean, lights were fused, not bath towels. Breakfast was a joke, as I only have fruit and yogert, the fruit consisted of cut up apple with juice and 1 strawberry, eggs for my husband hard, not soft as he requested. The lights on our stoep burnt all night, we did not know how and where to switch them off.I I find it difficult to sleep in a half light room, although they have blackout curtains, but it was to short, same for the door through to the entrance. Blanket on bed so grubby, really unpleasent. To be able to entrance the hotel the entrance bell does not work so you are asked to call them by phone to lock open the place for you,. very shabby we thought. As we were there 2 days nobody tried to fix the bell!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richards Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had to spend 3 nights in JHB for a work trip and brought my daughter and nanny along who spent much of the day at the GUEST house whilst I was away - they felt right at home! Jenny and Thembi were exceptional in the hospitality bestowed - thank you SO much! Rooms were clean, big and were accessible to a beautifully layered garden and pool area. I would certainly recommend your establishment to my friends and colleagues.

Regards
Cassandra

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Spent a night at House Higgo as a family. Our rooms were tastefully decorated, and opened out onto the stunning garden. The housekeeper/manager Simon went out of his way to please us. We had a fantastic 'homely' meal in the small library next to the fireplace, and breakfast outside on the patio (just outside of our rooms). We came home to a nice 'surprise' in the rooms. Small things could be added to the rooms and service, but overall it was an extremely pleasant stay, and I would definately like to go back there. The house has a very relaxed and homely feel to it.

Room Tip: I understand that the rooms are being upgraded, but the 'family cottage' certainly lacks the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed for over 10days with my girlfriend on a work trip.
Simon the house manager is very friendly and excellent!!
The gardens,pool and views are as good as you will get!
Rooms are large with access to pool and gardens. Great bathrooms too.
My girlfriend felt very safe and at home when I was working.
A subtle and stylish place. Plenty of parking!
Dan

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. The one by the jacuzzi is a little noisy due to the jacuzzi pump,if left on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at House Higgo early March- good value for money.
A few things could be a little bit better-
small bottles of still water in rooms
fans in the rooms as there in NO aircon
more variety for breakfast.

Room Tip: If more than 2 of you don't go the cottage unless you get on very well
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

OVERALL: All rooms are spacious but vary in standard. Beautiful guesthouse, gardens and stunning pool. Service is good but this guesthouse amenities lacks those small details expected from a 4 star rating.

ROOMS: I had the honeymoon suite which was large, clean had a very comfortable bed. I was however given only one large towel and the room did not have aircon. The satellite TV worked. Ample cupboard space but no hangers! My colleagues room at the same price had no view and was tucked at the back of the property, it got incredibly hot without aircon or even a fan. This surprised me for a 4 star guesthouse.

GROUNDS: The pool was stunning and large ans set amongst roiling lawns with plenty of greenery. There was no courtesy bar and on arriving back from dinner we were unable to have drinks as the cabinet was locked.

SERVICE: Service was friendly and overall good. On arrival they could not figure out which room I was in and could not find my booking. I also waited 10 minutes for the gate to be open for me on arrival. Location is in a suburban area and a bit far from restaurants and stuff to do.

BREAKFAST: They promptly prepared a breakfast of our choice. Eggs, bacon and tomatoe with toast. The breakfast spread was limited but sufficient. The fruit juice was not 100% which should be a given. The coffee was instant and when we asked for plunger coffee it wasn't prepared properly and had all the granules in it! I couldn't drink it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to House Higgo Boutique Guesthouse? Share your experiences!