“Simply Exquisite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uxolo Guesthouse Johannesburg

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Uxolo Guesthouse Johannesburg
Save Saved
You added Uxolo Guesthouse Johannesburg to your Saves list
22 Nursery rd | Gardens, Johannesburg 2090, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 234 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Simply Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is most definitely the one of the best guest house I have ever stayed in. The service was fantastic. All the staff were always on hand if needed, and made me feel at home. Great location, close to nice restaurants and shopping mall. Exquisite is the only word to describe this guest house and the wonderful staff. I highly recommend Uxolo guesthouse.

Kudos to Karen and your team!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I strongly recommend Uxolo to everyone who is traveling to Johannesburg. We stayed here from 22 - 24 sep 2012, I hope we could have stayed longer. Karen was very warm, helpful and kind to us. She gave me a lot of good advices before our trip. Before we got there, Karen was so helpful and she arranged almost everything for us such as transportation and tour guide. When we reached her lovely place, our room and the entire place were so clean, neat and comfortable. The area was very safe and convenient. There was a wide variety of choices for our breakfast and it was delicious. Rabson, the house keeper, he volunteered to help us to get the SA electrical plug as we had no time to get it. People who worked in this place were very friendly and helpful.

On the day we checked out, Karen packed some food for our long drive to make sure we won't get hungry on the road. Even after we left the place, Karen and Rabson were still showing concerns for the rest of our trip by texting us. I wish I have a better word to describe their hospitality. I give a double thumbs up for the overall experience!

Room Tip: We stayed at the room called "The Marriage of Precious and Richard" and it was spacious an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just returned to the States from my very first trip to South Africa. What an amazing place! I am so grateful for all of the beautiful and inspirational places I’ve seen and the wonderful people I’ve met along my journey. I owe the biggest “THANK YOU” and many hugs to my new friends at Uxolo Guest House! Uxolo in Johannesburg was the first stop on our journey throughout South Africa. Karen Morgan and her staff- Thando, Rabeson, Bonnie & Ella went over and beyond to make us feel like family. We had an incredible, full breakfast every morning, our rooms were picture perfect, filled with all we needed to relax and get comfy. We received many suggestions on how to get around the city and must see places to visit-including shopping, dining & typical tourist sites. Each and every one of these guys fussed over us and made sure we were having an enjoyable and memorable time AND after each adventure, they were waiting to hear all about it. I can’t thank Karen, Thando, Rabeson and Bonnie enough for all they did to contribute to us having the best trip ever. Can’t wait to get back to JoBurg- will definitely be staying with these guys again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here in late September and early October with family & friends and had an amazing time! From the warm greeting at the door from Thando, Bonnie & Rabeson- the staff that helped with the smallest of requests to Karen the owner who went above and beyond to make our stay a comfortable and memorable one:-) The guesthouse is very peaceful, which belies the name and is close to the mall, Rosebank a nearby area with great restaurants and a fantastic African flea mart. The guesthouse has an interesting history as a former safehouse and the architecture and decor is amazing, plus it is nearby to anything you need. Karen & her staff made our first trip to South Africa a memorable one and I would highly recommend it for families, couples or solo travellers as we found all we encountered to be extremely friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back to revel in this serene and warm guesthouse!

Room Tip: All of the warms were nice, we stayed in the Marula room which had its own private courtyard, sitti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had the privilege of staying at Uxolo for two nights following a family vacation/business trip to South Africa. The warm, cozy, welcoming atmosphere was just what we needed as we settled in to explore Johannesburg and surrounding areas. Uxolo is a delightful, charming retreat with stylish, tasteful furnishings. The guesthouse has several cozy spaces to curl up and read (great selection of books) as well as gardens and courtyards to explore. The staff go out of their way to provide small personal touches throughout the stay. We especially appreciated Karen's help in finding guided tours as well as offering directions and guidance as we made our way about the area and surrounding cities. Breakfast is fabulous and served in a protected courtyard adjacent to the pool and BBQ area - a fabulous way to start each day. Our only regret was not being able to stay for two additional days as the guesthouse was fully booked.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was a fantastic little guesthouse. We stayed here for the first two nights of a two-week trip across South Africa. It's a small establishment but the staff is super friendly and we were very happy with the service.
The building itself was tastefully designed and our room was very comfortable. The common areas, including a breakfast terrace and a billiards room, were beautiful (though our schedule didn't allow us much time to enjoy these facilities). Breakfast was delicious and made-to-order... it made getting out of the warm comfortable bed just a little bit easier.
However, best part of the stay was Karen, the owner. She was so friendly and went far out of her way to help us. She gave us planning tips for things to see in Joburg, bought us a SIM card for our mobile phone, dropped us off at the Gautrain station when we needed a ride, showed us around the neighborhood (including Nelson Mandela's residence), and even took my friend and I out to dinner with her husband on our last night in town. I have stayed in many B+Bs and small hotels across the world, but have never had this level of personalized service.
Location was good. It's in a residential neighborhood about a 5-minute drive from the Rosbank Gautrain Station, which gets you to the airport and also into Downtown Joburg. We had a car most of the time, which allowed us to get around easily to the central city and suburbs, but you would be fine here with just a cab.
Cannot recommend this place highly enough. If I ever return to Joburg, I would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Each room is unique - the hotel's website gives info on each and can help you to choose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip for a few days. It was really a wonderful stay. Essentially the staff, lead by Karen, provide a level of personalized service that is extremely rare. To the degree to which you want to be alone, they let you be. But anything that you might want they will do their best to help you attain. The guesthouse ittself is lovely. There is a level of artistic expression throughout the house that makes it elegant yet inviting.

I stayed in the room with the small courtyard attached. I would say that it is the nicest room, from my experience.

Room Tip: I would go for the one with the fountain and courtyard - it is really a unique little spot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Uxolo Guesthouse Johannesburg? Share your experiences!