“A total experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Residence Boutique Hotel

You added The Residence Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Residence Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 4th Avenue | Houghton, Johannesburg 1477, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Sydney, Australia
“A total experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Recommended by a colleague I was tentative - Johannesburg is not exactly short on good hotels. However this is an outstanding hotel - they don't miss an opportunity to impress. The reasonableness of free soft drinks in the mini bar compared with like hotels charging ridiculous amounts, the outstanding breakfast which must meet all tastes, outstanding dinner menu at very reasonable prices and the very best turn down service. The rooms are outstanding - the ultimate in comfort. Staff could not be any better, not one of them. All at a very reasonable price. I spend many nights in Johannesburg each year and many of my colleagues do also. We now have a new base in Jozi. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a lovely review. We really do appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.
The Residence team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel deserves to be the nr1 in Joburg. It's an oases with all the comfort that you can wish for at a reasonable price and located just minutes from the central Joburg highway.
Here you will receive more than you wished for. When seating myself at the pool a complimentary fresh fruit platter was brought. Entering my room a soft music in the background. Outdoor shower and bath were placed in the patio of my room, but I understood that all rooms have their own extra's. Do not forget to visit the spa and to take a massage....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. All the very best for 2013 and hope to be of service to you again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and myself spent two nights at The Residence in early January 2013, and were enormously delighted to find that the hotel lived up to, and sometimes surpassed, the numerous 5 star ratings found on the TripAdvisor and other such travel sights.

The experience, and that's what it is, an experience not a stay, is something out of Hollywood. From the moment you drive in, you are treated exqusitely - as if you are the hotels sole guest! Upon arrival, you are greeted by the doorman in his bowler hat, the concierge and a waiter with a refreshing array of welcome drinks.

You are efficiently taken on a brief tour of the establishment (useful), and escorted by the concierge to your room, where your luggage is already awaiting you. The room we stayed in had a handsome view of both the pool and the greenery that Houghton is famous for. The room lacks nothing, and the decor is exquisite, even when compared to other more expensive boutiques in Johannesburg, with Chandeliers; Persian carpets; walk-in closets and a luxurious bathroom...

The hotels restaurant is one of its hidden secrets, a true gem even when compared amongst the world class restaurants a stones throw away in Melrose and Sandton. Do yourselves a favor and try the hotel restaurant at least once whilst you stay here.

What impressed us most however was the staffs' attention to detail. My girlfriend felt a little under the weather on the Saturday night, and the staff genuinely made efforts to assist. More impressively, the day manager on the Sunday made genuine inquiries as to how my girlfriend was feeling, even though she was not there the night before! Truly left a great impression on us!

All in all, one of the best hotel visits we have ever had, and we can wholeheartedly recommend The Residence for any visit to Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for providing us with such a lovely review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to do so. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be of serve to you again in the near future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My team and I stayed here because we are a small team of 6. I took the time to research them and by the time we went we had even done a safety and security onsite assessment as per company requirements. Edgar ,one of the directors was such about all the scrutiny we were subjecting his presitigious facility to. From Sanet to Warren making the arrangements was so superbly and professionally handled.
We got there and : the pics had not done justice to the splendour and hospitality we experienced here. Even my admin staff got the best of rooms because that's just the way it is here.
Highlights for me:
1.Room variety ,bedding comfort + bathroom size
2. Music is all over - it follows you to the bathroom too(you can bring own CD's to compliment theirs.
3. The Skybar is where I want o have my next birthday with a few friends. This is where I had my Spa treatments - devine with music here as well to lull you to a peaceful snore
4.Lamps on the dinner menu!! ambience nice and dimmed but you see your menu very well. Awesome food too.
5. They sell beautiful lady items & jewellery in their small shop . We all took a piece of something lovely even though Sanet told us the best had already gone
6.The small Gym was much needed to work out the brain sweat we were there for
7. The tall guys in balck n white are the best - nowhere in thsi country of mine have I experienced such sterling professionalism and care - the trining is awesome.Martin,Daniel and the gut at the gate stand out for me
8.Fridges and high standard coffee machines in rooms
9. Outside showers [and baths in some suites]

The only things slightly negative I can ever say abt this perfect place :
-Charity needs to oversee that all rooms have had a turndown service by her ladies- my 1st night just did not have and she shrivelled poor lady when she learnt of that. Nite 2 I was v pleased to see how well they do this
-Irons in rooms is becoming a standard feuture in 5* establisment and it's not a huge cost
-I missed any Magazines/books in Room 5
-Food delivery to the tables could be faster
I am taking my family for a restful time and just so they feel how hospitality should be in our country.

Room Tip: Room 5 with a jacuzzi(have to walk outside though and if rainy a bit of a schlep but they have umbre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your fantastic review. We really do appreciate your kind words as well as your valuable comments. We continually strive to provide the best and look forward to welcoming you back to The Residence.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We chose the Residence in preference to a business hotel, because we wanted a relaxing experience rather than a 'busy' place.
The Residence surpassed our expectations in every respect, except for the food.
The staff were wonderful - very friendly and professional and eager to help, without being over-attentive. The rooms - both the bedrooms and the public rooms - are well-designed and beautifully decorated, and the gardens and water features give the hotel a lovely relaxing atmosphere.
The driver will take you wherever you want to go in the 1991 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, and pick you up again when you're done!
The dining rooms are elegantly decked out and the food is well-presented and served, but the cuisine is not always of the highest standard - shame.
That apart, I defy anyone to find a better way of spending a week in Johannesburg. This is a real gem of a hotel. We will certainly be going back

Room Tip: All the rooms are stunning - it doesn't matter which you choose
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Good day and thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really do appreciate it. As mentioned in the personal email we sent to you, we have noted your comment about the food and have been updating as well as training our staff so as to provide a higher standard of food to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back and gaining your input.

The Residence team.
Pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights in room one, which is above the swimming pool shown in the trip advisor picture. We stayed here because of its's number one ranking on the trip advisor web site. From start to finish there's a high level of quality and service excellence in this establishment and I think the management know they have created something rather special here. The door man in his boler hat who would not look out of place outside Claridges Hotel in London, took such pride in his work and in the hotel's car, a vintage rolls royce. The waiting staff in the restuarant were excellent and the way they serve the breakfast again reminded me of my experience in Claridges. The management have motivated the staff here very well. Our room and the property as a whole was very spacious and very well laid out with a choice of two very well maintained swimming pools, tennis court and gym. I won't repeat what other reviewers have already said about the rooms, needless to say I agree with them. The night before our arrival I requested roses to be placed in the room and on arrival I was very impressed with the extremely large and very well presented flowers that greeted us. In summary, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to you, it would certainly be my first choice if staying in johannesburg again.

Room Tip: My only experience is of room number one, which in my opinion is one of the best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We really do appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and would like to wish you both all the very best for 2013.

Kroonstad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

One of the many lasting impressions is the almost absence of noise, we were not aware of any noise from outside the hotel premises and once inside the high walls surrounding the hotel you have a serene sense of tranquility. We were very sorry that we only slept over for one night and thus could not fully utilize the very relaxing atmosphere the surrounds of the hotel has.
We could find very little to fault: my eggs benedict at breakfast was not soft as ordered, there was a slight hiccup with the invoice but for the rest, absolute exemplary quality in furnishings and service. We stayed in suite 5, I enjoyed the jacuzzi while reading a book and sipping an ice cold chardonnay, my wife was in the adjacent spa for a fascial treatment. The linen, pillows and bed is of the highest quility and after a sumptuous dinner we could retire to a very inviting suite 5. The table setting and general ambiance in the restaurant must be commended. The pools are immaculate, such are the areas surrounding the pools, there are many and varied secluded and inviting areas both inside and outside beckoning one to while an hour or two.
We will surely make a point to return to this amazing haven in a otherwise hectic Johannesburg.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really do appreciate it and are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologies regarding your egg and the billing issue. We will be sure to address these matters.
From The Residence team, we would like to wish you all the very best for 2013 and look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

The Residence

Been to The Residence Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!