“Now our second home!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Residence Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Residence Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Residence Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 4th Avenue | Houghton, Johannesburg 1477, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 71 hotels in Johannesburg
Ballitoville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Now our second home!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been back to the Residence about 4 times since my last review and it just keeps getting better.

I would highly recommend the Madiba suite if you are a couple looking to breakaway completely during your trip and the Penthouse if you fancy the outdoors more. The Residence really has surpassed many of the great hotels we have stayed at, including some of London's best!

Sanet and Charity make a great team, but single just them out when all the staff are so friendly, professional and courteous would be unfair, currently on my way back for a stay after a great trip on the Rovos.

Room Tip: View what I said above, I have included tips for 2 rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Manager at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you both so much for your kind words. We are so glad that you enjoy staying with us. Its always a pleasure to welcome you both back.
All the best

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have just come back from a 9 day trip to Johannesburg and although I use Trip Advisor for reccomendations I have never bothered to write a review before. However having now returned from my stay at The Residence I feel compelled to write a review.
The Residence is a beautiful hotel, it is discreet, peacefull, the food is superb and the rooms are delightful, however it is the staff that truly make this place special. Each and every member of staff here at The Residence are absolutly delghtful, nothing was ever any trouble and daily they went over and above what was needed in order to make our stay perfect.
Lucky, Warren, Charity and all the employees we met were so proud to work for this family run business and were never short of reccomendations of where to go and what to see in the local area.
We will definatley be returning and reccomend The Residence highly.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are fabulous, we were shown several, however the suite is extra special.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with a review. We are honoured to be your first review. It was lovely meeting you and so glad we were able to make your stay a memorable one. All the best and hope to see you again soon.
Kindest regards
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

After a 17 hour trip from the states we landed in Johannesburg. Exhausted, we were quite surprised to be met by Lucky and his Rolls Royce. This should have been a hint of what was to come. On the way to The Residence Lucky drove us by Nelson Mandela's home, clearly proud of the statesman and his city. We were whisked to our rooms and all I can say is wow! This place clearly deserves to be ranked the #1 hotel in Joburg. The rooms were lavish and as comfortable as could be. Every amenity was supplied. The staff was as polished as I have ever seen, attentive and always asking what they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. (How about can I stay a few more days?) One of the staff, sorry but I forgot his name, gave us a tour of the hotel. Absolutely beautiful, from the bar to the pools to the master suites. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has been overlooked. This is a crown jewel of a property, managed as expertly as they come. Read the other reviews and they concur. Bottom line - if you don't stay here you will miss the best hotel in the city and all its attending attributes. I will make another trip back, not to see Joburg, but just to luxuriate in The Residence.

Room Tip: They are all magnificent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really appreciate it and are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We glad you got home safely and hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Kindest regards,
chiselton, uk.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here in October- to be honest the room needed a bit of a touch up, the chair had a huge mark on it and it was a little off white rather than white, the outside furniture was also in need of some attention. On the plus side the staff were very nice and helpful, but that didn't make up for the disappointment I felt about the room for a 5* hotel, stayed in better for a lot less money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
We thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the mark on the beige chair in your suite. We are pleased to advise that this piece of furniture was reported by housekeeping to management shortly after your stay and immediately replaced (October 2012). We sincerely apologies that this mark on the chair was not noted and replace before you check in.
Kind regards
waltham ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

What an amazing hotel experience! You are greeted upon arrival with a decanter of sherry and given a tour of the property by the manager. Senet, Warren and Charity were incredibly helpful and went far above and beyond. One regret is that I did not arrange transport to the hotel from the airport through the hotel. They pick up guests in a beautiful vintage rolls royce. I can go on and on about the beautiful hotel rooms, luxury facilities or fantastic service. The food was highest quality. The free minibar was a delight as well. Some difficult decisions we encountered were choosing which hot tub to relax in and whether we wanted to swim in the heated or un-heated pool. The fact that the majority of staff lives on site made it seem like you were staying with a large family.

Two quick stories:

When I asked where an ATM was located, instead of giving directions, they drove my wife and I to the ATM.

My wife had a last minute business meeting come up at the very end of our trip after our checkout time. The residence boutique staff arranged to allow us to use another room free of charge so that we could shower before the flight.

This kind of service guarantees that this is the only place we will ever stay in Johannesburg

Room Tip: Every room has an exterior space with at least 1 deck and outdoor hot tub. The stairway to the pent...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We really do appreciate. It was lovely meeting you and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You will just have to return so that we can pick you up in our old lady.
All the very best for 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this amazing little gem in November 2012. I was blown away by the actual property, elegant yet understated. Each guest room has a different layout and feel to it but all are incredibly well appointed and stocked full of treats and even a Nespresso machine!
While the property is spectacular, my experience was only elevated by the staff at The Residence. Lucky, the driver, is in full command of the vintage Rolls Royce and very engaging. Sanet, the proprietress was amazing in every way, accommodating each of my requests with a smile and each of my thank yous with "Only a Pleasure" (my favorite new saying).
The meals in the intimate little restaurant were incredible, the menu very broad and each dish prepared with care and presented by an impeccably trained staff. The breakfast served each morning was for for a king.
I cannot recommend this property enough and look forward to the day I return.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms has some outdoor space, the ones towards the back of the property look out across...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
The Residence T, Manager at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. It was lovely meeting you and we wish you all the best for 2013. We hope to welcome you back in the near future and yes it was only a pleasure
Kindest regards
The Residence Team
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The most excellent vibe/service. Relaxed and very first class.

I particularly loved the fact to have a kind of open area with bath and showers, but also a bathroom (bigger then my flat in London) with another few other showers and baths... or all the SIMPLE things that some hotels manage to go wrong like; easy/good internet wifi, ar con, IPod/Iphone dock, TV with DVD, EXPRESSO MACHINE etc etc... We don't necessarily need to use all of them, but it is the most comfortable feeling to have easy/good things around. I like that.

It is a MUST in Jburg.

Room Tip: Jburgh is difficult to drive around. 2 iPhones and 1 GPS were not enough to get us straight there. B...
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you both so much for your kind review. We really do appreciate it. We would all like to wish you the best for 2013 and hope to be of service to you again in the near future.
Kind regards
The Residence team

Been to The Residence Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!