“Just Superb” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Residence Boutique Hotel

You added The Residence Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Residence Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 4th Avenue | Houghton, Johannesburg 1477, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Just Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A colleague of mine at work recommended the Residence as fantastic value for money and not far from our Johannesburg office. I have stayed in several hotels in the Johannesburg area from Fourways to Sandton, to Rosebank and Melrose Arch, all of which were chain hotels. I have to say that whenever in Johannesburg in future for either business or pleasure I will make a point of staying here. The welcome when you arrive is fantastic, and you are given a welcoming drink. Whenever meeting staff you are always greeted with your name. The food is superb value and well cooked, I could think of no better place to have a business dinner on my first night than here and it exceeded my expectations. Two swimming pools, a small gym, spa area mean that everything you need is there. Staff out number guests!! The only drawbackis that you need a car to get anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to meet you and look forward to being of serve to you again in the near future.

The Residence team would like to wish you all the very best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I only had one night here but wow what an experience.

The service was amazingly good without being obsequious. Everything i needed was done. My room was just stunning. Gorgeous room, fire place, bed. Amazing terrace, hot tub...

I cannot say enough good about this place. Even when internet was down for some reason they gave me a dongle to use.

I have stayed in 1000's of hotels in my job and this is right up there in the top 5. Easily. I have to come back.

Don't stay anywhere else in Jo'Burg. This place cannot be missed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such an amazing review. We really appreciate it. It was an absolute pleasure being of service to you and hope to see you again soon.
From the team at The Residence we wish you all the best.
Rainham, Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Well done to the owners, management and wonderful staff for a remarkable stay at your hotel.

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, your staff were outstanding in everything they did.

Rooms: spacious, luxurious, relaxed and extremely well equipped. The Amarula by the bedside, the sofa, the open fire, the desk and the table, the bed, the bathroom with its own sofa... outdoor shower and bath, private... brilliant.

Wifi is good. TV selections are good but missing some channels... but who goes to this place for the TV?! Music system, DVD player... all very good.

Your room service and restaurant food we equally excellent with wonderful home made dishes and generous proportions. The open fire... the endless orangeries around the hotel, the mini ponds... its a shame that I did not have time to use your heated pool and the covered outdoor beds!

Breakfast: a full tray of fruit, cold cheese and meats, cereals, wonderful fresh fruit and great coffee - followed by a cooked breakfast.... leave 45 mins minimum for breakfast!!

I loved this place and will be returning. I recommended a colleague who was arriving in Joburg the next day - it was that good. I came for business but would bring my family here without reservation.

Location: perfect for travel in to central Joburg and to locations outside too. 30 minutes to the airport.

Drivers: excellent. Normally pick you up in their Rolls Royce... need I say more?

Room Tip: Any room!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was an absolute pleasure being of service to you and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your referral we really appreciate it.
From The Residence team we wish you and your family all the best and look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Kindest regards
The Residence Boutique Hotel
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for a night before embarking on a safari trip. All the razor wire in the area takes a bit of getting used to but that's a Jo'burg thing. The area is upscale bit a little out of town and security is obviously an issue. The hotel is very nice, and they are adding a few new rooms. The staff is helpful and excellent without being overwhelming. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. History unfortunately has left its mark (ie presence of high walls and security) but we glad it’s a thing of the past. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Residence.
Wishing you all the best.

Kindest regards,
The Residence team
Gaborone, Botswana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Residence is a magnificent hotel. Period. This is a unique, expansive, wonderful place with any and all amenities you might require. Honestly, they haven't missed anything in designing and planning the hotel's operations, from the layout of my room (a unit on the top floor with a private entrance, a jacuzzi, an outdoor shower, opulent decor, and a nice deck on which to sit and read a book) to the small details, like the in-room Nespresso makers and turn-down service at night. (I was surprised to return from dinner to find a fresh rose and a nightcap.) Excellence.

The service was impeccable, perfect, and lacked nothing. In fact, I'm not always a stickler about service and am generally low-maintenance, but in a region where service is often severely below-average, at The Residence it's performed with a smile and "what-else-do-you-need" attitude. The hotel is to be commended for this.

Other items of note: Breakfast was served on my deck, and it was large, varied, and fresh. The hotel also provides a refrigerator full of complimentary soft drinks, and I would recommend the hotel for its coffee selection alone: Nespresso makers *and* French presses in the rooms. Really? Yes. Thank you, Residence. Also, I don't normally watch TV, but I noticed that the room had full digital satellite service, not a scaled-down menu like you would find at most hotels.

Finally, I toured almost all of the rooms before checking out, and every room is unique and special. There is one with a *massive* outdoor deck from which you could hold a large dinner party. There are a few, like mine, with outdoor showers. I saw one with an outdoor shower that was connected to the indoor bathroom. There is a "family wing", with a private entrance and two rooms. All of the bathrooms are unique. I don't know if I've ever visited a hotel, such as this, where every room is different. Upon reflection, this makes the hotel even more special.

[Travel writers take note: visit this hotel and review it for your respective publications. It is quite a place.]

Overall, this is a superb, marvelous hotel. Please don't miss it when visiting Johannesburg.

Room Tip: I toured all of the rooms in the hotel, and they are all unique. Truly, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such an amazing review. We are so glad that we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one and look forward to being of service to you once again.

Kindest regards from The Residence team
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a romantic getaway for our 1st year anniversary, and we certainly did find this at the Residence Boutique Hotel in Houghton. From the moment we drove onto the property we were treated like royalty. Robert welcomed us at the gate and the full Residence team was waiting for us with warm refresher towels and Sherry at the Reception area. The remainder of the stay was filled with pure opulence, relaxation, delicacies and 5 star treatment. Not a single detail was missed, from the silver and crystal, to decor to presentation. We especially loved the Jacuzzi on our private patio and the turndowns in the evening. We would go down for dinner and when we came back our room was filled with a beautiful scent, a rose and slippers which were laid out, as well as a nightcap and some treats as a spoil before we went to sleep.

We felt very much at home and The Residence Boutique Hotel will certainly be seeing us again.
Thank you Sanet, Joseph, Charity, Emmanuel, Jabulani, Robert, Martin and everyone we did not get to formally meet but who were all part of the entire experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a Jacuzzi and private patio.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate it and are so glad we were able to make your stay a memorable one. From the team at The Residence, Johannesburg we wish you both all the very best and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife together with myself and my daughter were lucky enough to be guests at The Residence, previously the Chinese consulate, in the prestigious suburb of Houghton. The experience was similar to staying at a fine country house on the weekend after being invited by people we didn't know well but really liked. The genuine nature of the staff, their pride in the hotel and work is readily apparent. The owners are charming and the attention to detail amazing. I see the Residence as an experiment delving back into a past era of personalized service and charm , far removed from the modern hotel experience. It is well worth the stay for that reason alone but the rooms restaurants pools and ambiance are there in spades as well

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with this fantastic review. We really appreciate it and glad we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one.
We wish you and your family all the best and look forward to welcoming you back to The Residence.

Been to The Residence Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!