“What an experiance” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“What an experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is an evening to remember. Two very small venues, seating maybe 30 each. No signs on the door and a start time of 7.30. Make sure you don't come late. They don't sell alcohol, so everyone brought their own. Quite funny.

The range of dishes brought out one taste sensation after another. 10 dishes in all with an extra 3 pallet cleansers take nearly 4 hours to get through, so this is not for a quick bite. Loved the seaside arrangement. That lobster in harrisa was out of this world. Some other dishes not my favorites (the duck was so so), but then this is about trying different things. Time just flew.

Did think the staff were a little too attentive. Don't need to be asked every 2 minutes if my wine needs refilling and I really would have loved a coffee with the deserts, but that is nagging on a very high level. Great evening, great food, fantastic concept.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Great experience with some suggested changes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time at Cube. The 10 course menu is really well done, overall experience is outstanding, service great, and I will definitely go again. A cured duck dish was memorably good among some other highlights. However, found courses bigger in quantity than the first time and was full by the dessert dishes and my pork belly was very overcooked. I remain a fan of the concept and the execution!

Visited December 2013
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was so looking forward to this evening shared with my friends, but alas I walked away disappointed. I'll start with the positive: I experienced some dishes and taste sensation I would normally never have ordered. Some of the dishes were really tasty, exotic and creative.
The negatives: the location sucks and there is no branding to help you find the place. The two facilities are small, the one we were in seated about 26 people, but due to the location of the kitchen it is uncomfortably hot. Every dish is overdone. A bit of simplicity goes a long way. 10 Dishes are too much, I reached my utility half way through and our whole table groaned when more dishes came. They serve no drinks other than water. No sodas, no juice, nothing. Also there is no ice and our cooldrink bottles were just left on the table to become hot. Nice. We had to keep protecting our last sips of Shiraz from the waiter who wanted to poor a newly opened Red Blend into those same glasses. That's just incomprehensible from a restaurant rated so highly! But worst of all: I cannot eat 3 deserts. One is enough. But COFFEE IS AN IMPERATIVE. Never in my life have I heard of a restaurant that does not offer coffee. All of this for an astronomical price tag? No thank you. I will not recommend Cube.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Shame it has no licence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Interesting concept - a 10 course tasting menu, served to all patrons simultaneously, although for Europeans, a 7pm start feels quite early.
There is a veggie and an omnivore version and each course is explained by one of the chefs.
While not Michelin standard, it is good value (by British standards especially) at R 550.

We started off with flavours of lime with a white chocolate and truffle served with a nitro meringue, sponge and jelly - the theatre of the presentation gave us an insight into what might follow.
This ras followed by a lovely rice pudding. with asparagus. Chevin goats cheese and tomato
One of the tastiest courses was the corn with warm ginger mayonnaise and harissa and the chinese dumplings were also interesting

The onky disapppointing thing is that hte menu has wine recommendations - but if there are only two of you, you are unlikely to take in 10 different bottles. It is difficult to anticipate which one bottle is worth taking with, so I would have preferred the option to partake of the wine and food pairings as advertised .

Visited October 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Experience in Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Recently took my fiancee to Cube, as she's decided to enroll in culinary school and we both enjoy cooking and great food.

The evening was perfect from start to finish. While my fiancee and I disagreed on our favorite dishes from the evening, we both left very impressed and full!

I believe 12 dishes were served on the night we were there, and each was a unique and artistic work of art. The entire meal took about 3.5 hours, and we enjoyed every minute of it.
If you don't appreciate presentation and intricate food preparation (re: if you're not a foodie) this might not be the place for you, but we loved it and will be going back at some point soon!

• Visited June 2013