“Delightful taste sensations” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Delightful taste sensations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had a wonderful quiet evening. Wonderful unobtrusive and qualified service. The chefs also visited the table to explain ,VERY UNOBTRUSIVELY, each course. The courses were many and small, and absolutely divine without being chemical experiments!! we will definitely go back for a special occasion.

Visited September 2012

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cube - incredible....again......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My second visit to Cube - I won't go into as much detail as I did in my first review....suffice to say that my second experience was even better than the first, if that is possible.

I read a review previously where someone from overseas said that it wasn't up to international standards. I'd just like to say that I disagree. I have travelled all over the world and eaten in a variety of restaurants - Cube is CERTAINLY up to international standards, and surpasses many of the restaurants I've visited abroad.

Once again, the service was efficient and very friendly.
The menu had changed since my first visit, making it all the more exciting for us. The combinations are just sublime and every mouthful is a treat.
We were slightly fuller this time than the last, but with 12 courses, that is to be expected. :)
Menu items included
- Salmon. Slight perfume of smoke Flavours and textures of Artichoke. Lemon pudding. Sesame gremolata. Fennel tuille.
- Summer seafood 'ravioli'. Red seaweed scent Scallop. Crab mayo. Lobster butter. Squid ink essence. Asparagus. Prawn fritters.
- Pepper beef. Lifted with the creaminess of corn,Raddish. Truffle. Mustard. Green onion marshmallow
- Peanut butter brownie. Popped amaranth. Caramel popcorn. Honeycomb. Tonka bean ice cream

To name just a few of my many favourites....

Dario and his team are culinary geniuses and I plan on making a trip to Cube with every new menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Not just a meal, an experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to Cube twice now and both times have had an amazing experince. The food you will taste is unlike anything you have had before - the imagination, thought and effort that goes into every dish is remarkable - you will taste things like apple paper, berry leather, and tomato jelly. The chef is outstanding. My only complaint was that they were short staffed the last time I went, so one of the waiters had to introduce each dish rather than the chef who normally does it. It makes a huge difference having the chef talk you through each dish you're about to eat as it is so intricate.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
uk
“Style over sunstance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Supposed to be the best culinary experience in the city, but I'm afraid to say I just found it a bit pretentious and lacking in real flavour. All our courses came covered in a sprinkling of pea shoots. Service was very pleasant .Maybe it wasn't their night in the kitchen. An international diner would not be impressed.

Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Very unusual restuarant, small and simple decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took a guest from New York after she had read an article in the New York Times called "36 hours in Johannesburg". This was also my first visit there. There is no signage outside, (not that i could see). Intimate, the service is excellent, and courses are very creative. My guest told me that this type of eclectic meal originated in Spain, and is now offered at select places. I found the many courses a little too much. However, my guest downed 2 bottles of wine, and loved every minute of it! A very different experience. Safe parking with car attendant nearby.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere