“Cube - incredible....again......” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cube - incredible....again......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My second visit to Cube - I won't go into as much detail as I did in my first review....suffice to say that my second experience was even better than the first, if that is possible.

I read a review previously where someone from overseas said that it wasn't up to international standards. I'd just like to say that I disagree. I have travelled all over the world and eaten in a variety of restaurants - Cube is CERTAINLY up to international standards, and surpasses many of the restaurants I've visited abroad.

Once again, the service was efficient and very friendly.
The menu had changed since my first visit, making it all the more exciting for us. The combinations are just sublime and every mouthful is a treat.
We were slightly fuller this time than the last, but with 12 courses, that is to be expected. :)
Menu items included
- Salmon. Slight perfume of smoke Flavours and textures of Artichoke. Lemon pudding. Sesame gremolata. Fennel tuille.
- Summer seafood 'ravioli'. Red seaweed scent Scallop. Crab mayo. Lobster butter. Squid ink essence. Asparagus. Prawn fritters.
- Pepper beef. Lifted with the creaminess of corn,Raddish. Truffle. Mustard. Green onion marshmallow
- Peanut butter brownie. Popped amaranth. Caramel popcorn. Honeycomb. Tonka bean ice cream

To name just a few of my many favourites....

Dario and his team are culinary geniuses and I plan on making a trip to Cube with every new menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago, Illinois
“Not just a meal, an experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to Cube twice now and both times have had an amazing experince. The food you will taste is unlike anything you have had before - the imagination, thought and effort that goes into every dish is remarkable - you will taste things like apple paper, berry leather, and tomato jelly. The chef is outstanding. My only complaint was that they were short staffed the last time I went, so one of the waiters had to introduce each dish rather than the chef who normally does it. It makes a huge difference having the chef talk you through each dish you're about to eat as it is so intricate.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
uk
“Style over sunstance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Supposed to be the best culinary experience in the city, but I'm afraid to say I just found it a bit pretentious and lacking in real flavour. All our courses came covered in a sprinkling of pea shoots. Service was very pleasant .Maybe it wasn't their night in the kitchen. An international diner would not be impressed.

Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Very unusual restuarant, small and simple decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took a guest from New York after she had read an article in the New York Times called "36 hours in Johannesburg". This was also my first visit there. There is no signage outside, (not that i could see). Intimate, the service is excellent, and courses are very creative. My guest told me that this type of eclectic meal originated in Spain, and is now offered at select places. I found the many courses a little too much. However, my guest downed 2 bottles of wine, and loved every minute of it! A very different experience. Safe parking with car attendant nearby.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johannesburg, South Africa
“An extraordinary gourmet experience in a casual setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

When I made the reservation, I didn't know what to expect but I had gone on the recommendation of a friend who delights in a good meal. Well this is not your ordinary Johannesburg restaurant and it is not just a good restaurant. It is Johannesburg's answer to those who think only Cape Town can serve up a gourmet meal.

In three and a half hours you find yourself on a gourmet tasting journey that keeps delighting and surprising with just enough to satisfy but not too much to feel over-indulged. The experience starts with an email which gives detailed instructions on when to arrive, what to expect, the actual menu of 12 courses which changes monthly, and what kind of wine to bring with you, since the restaurant does not have a liquor license.

Reading the menu, you might think the atmosphere be very formal and control. However, to my surprise and delight I was able to enjoy fantastic food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere but not very spacious. The chef, Dario, presents each dish patiently and clearly. The price per person was R500 which by Johannesburg standards is not cheap, but by world standards extremely reasonable and certainly great value for this quality of food, presentation, and taste.

I can't wait for another occasion to return. Don't go to this restaurant on a business dinner. Go to this restaurant with foodie friends and enjoy the experience.

• Visited October 2012