“A golden stay...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avondhu Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Avondhu Guest House
Save Saved
You added Avondhu Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   8 Bristol Road | Saxonwold, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #30 of 234 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“A golden stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at Avondhu Guest House for three nights and this was certainly my best stay at a Guest House. With a warm welcoming from Steffi I felt home straight away. The rooms are luxurious and extremely neat. After my warm rest I was overwhelmed the next morning being served with a wonderful breakfast . I was treated like an golden piece in the city of gold and certainly can not wait for my next visit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I recently booked into avondhu on the spur of the moment.I had a business meeting the following day.i was promptly picked up at the airport in avondhu's fab new luxury bus and deposited in what can only be described as a magnificent mansion in a well established leafy suburb. I immediately noticed that the security inside and outside the place was top notch. 24/7 CAP patrols as well as other security personel and dedicated guards. Breakfast was great service and attention to detail perfect.All in all a great stay in a homely atmosphere.HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet room no 2 was great
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I've just stayed at Avondhu for a total of three nights with my husband and children during a wonderful holiday to South Africa. It really was a home from home and we were made to feel so welcome. The rooms were very comfortable, the breakfasts delicious and the kids enjoyed the facilities - tennis and, to everyone's great amusement, the swimming pool despite the freezing water temperature. Apparently no one swims in the winter, except the English of course! Stephanie could not have been more helpful, even chauffeuring us around Johannesburg when we were without a car. It was the perfect pit-stop before heading off to the Kruger and an excellent base when we returned to JB for a friends' party a week later. If we are lucky enough to be in the area again, we will certainly return to Avondhu.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have used Avondhu as a base for number of visits to South Africa and can with great happiness and comfort say that Stephanie and team has maintained the superb service provided by Dea and Paddy. The location, rooms, breakfast and service all excellent. Still the best spot in Jhb for a late afternoon braai! Will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
StephatAvondhu, Manager at Avondhu Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear MaBa694,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. I am glad to say that you have given us the "braai fever".

We hope to see you very soon and that the animals are doing great.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I am a busy man doing business in jhb from time to time.I don't have time to write reviews,but I feel that Steffi and her team deserve it big time. I was stranded at OR TAMBO due to a logistical error.I got hold of Avondhu by chance on my internet search. What a joy when I was picked up outside arrivals whithin an hour.Considdering the late hour distance and short notice I was astounded.It just got better and better from then on.Great room excellent food and homely atmosphere. A HUGE THUMBS UP.!!!

Room Tip: All rooms looked great from what I saw
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Karrtiger,

It is always a pleasure and thank you for your wonderful review.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I attended a training course for work at the nearby Glenhove Conference centre. From the minute i was collected from the airport to the time i left i have no complaints. In fact this was a really pleasant experience. I felt truly comfortable and enjoyed the easygoing friendly, caring atmosphere. A lot of it was down to Steffi the manager who was just the best!!! Not sure when i'll be back in Jhb but if i am looking for a B+B i will certainly try and get into Avondhu. Thanks. Liz H

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Heunisliz,

It was wonderful to have you here. I can however say that I miss your company. I do hope that you come to visit us soon again.
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I am an entrepreneur from Dbn that came up to Jhb for some business meetings and Avondhu Guest House was so perfectly and conveniently situated! This owner-run establishment was very comfortable and homely. Avondhu Guest House was clean and well maintained. Breakfast included a wide variety of cereal, muffins, eggs, bacon, jams, cheeses, fruits, coffees, etc. I enjoyed great service and really great quality food. I definitely will be staying here again :)

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and comfortable :)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear MR_CRUNK,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was great of you to give everyone Crunk on a Friday morning and have the dining room in a buzz with conversation.

Everyone at Avondhu wishes you well with your business ventures.

Been to Avondhu Guest House? Share your experiences!