“Perhaps getting left behind” 3 of 5 stars

7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   22 - 7th Street, Johannesburg 2092, South Africa   |
Ranked #54 of 260 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Perhaps getting left behind”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was at a loose end in Johannesburg & needed a final stay-over before my flight out.
I got the receptionist at my JHB office to check hotels & B&B's in Melville. The one I wanted to book in at via Booking.com was full (a technical error, I had booked & booking.com confirmed but later the hotel had emailed to apologise, there was no room).

So off I went to 7th Street.

From the outside it looks like a fairly modern extended house. The interior is a very specific taste. I don't want to bad-mouth a guest-houses' decor but it's not to my taste & let me feeling very unnerved. To me it's lost in the 70's or 80's. Very rococo / transylvanian, however not in a good way, again, for my tastes.

The room that I was placed in had no windows. It felt very suffocating. There was a strong overpowering smell of perfumed cleaner / pesticide. I got used to it but had a mild headache in the morning.

The B&B confirms it has 4 stars. I am unaware of the grading system but I would not have reached that number.

My stay was fairly inexpensive @ 55 Euro's & breakfast was included, which I didn't partake in. I got what I paid for, it seems.

The guest house manager is a lovely lady & 7th street may have had it's hey-day, but I'm unsure how it's going to compete with the new boys on the block.

I would shop around before choosing this B&B again.

Room Tip: Look around at other B&B's
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)

Been to 7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about 7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue

Address: 22 - 7th Street, Johannesburg 2092, South Africa
Location: South Africa > Gauteng > Greater Johannesburg > Johannesburg
Ranked #54 of 260 B&Bs / Inns in Johannesburg
Hotel Class:4 star — 7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your 7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage 7th Street Guest House and Conference Venue, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.