“Very good property surronded by green and nature!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thaba Eco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Thaba Eco Hotel to your Saves list
Thaba Eco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Impala Road | Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve, Johannesburg 2053, South Africa (Formerly Thaba Ya Batswana)   |
Special Offer
Romantic Package
Ranked #8 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Montecatini
“Very good property surronded by green and nature!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Nice property, almost within a natural park.
The system was set to the residence-apartment model, with several blocks made of 4 (big) rooms located in rather large area surrounded by greenery.
The rooms were really big, well equipped and furnished. The huge bathroom. Very good indeed!
There was also a central unit where there was a restaurant (not bad breakfast).
I have not had the opportunity to try the SPA, while certainly represents a flaw the absence of a gym.
Reasonable price for a nice property for those looking for a quiet and relaxing staying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

It was the most exciting experience for the 3 days.The place is fantastic and the staff has so much care for their clients.It was a business trip, but I felt like I was on a holiday vacation. The atmosphere is so peaceful and the staff is consistently accommodating.The gifts are awesome and the foods is brilliant and it is served to invite you for more.I would definetely want to come back to Thaba Ya Batswana.The services is of a highest standards.I would recommend this place to everyone that needs a break.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had our wedding at TYB on 26 October at the Lobola Kraal and they really made our day much more than what we could ever dreamt of. Our day was perfect in every single way possible. The venue speaks for itself, the food was amazing (compliments from all of our guests) the services was of the highest stardards. I could have my wedding day again again...but only if its at TYB!!! You made us part of your family & we love it!
We cannot thank you guys enough for everything you have done & meant to us on our wedding day!
You guys are a great team!!!

Highly recommended for all bridal couples! No stress, just fun and laughter all the way!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The most beautiful place to have a retreat, or just spoil yourself. If you want to have a conference with your workers? This the place.the food is good and served to invite you for more.

This is also the right venue close to Johannesburg where you can have a wedding. The big marque tent venue on top of the hill is the best.

Room Tip: The rooms are beautiful and have a veranda where you can have a view over the nature reserve and see...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed one night at the Thaba Ya Batswana in transit while in South Africa. I was booked there by my company and thought it was a standard style hotel. The hotel is a lodge style arrangement with individual hut-like buildings for the rooms. This could be fun but not what I was looking for in a business hotel. The hotel is in a isolated porting of Johannesburg. The Sunday night that I stayed there, I think I was one of two guest in the entire property. I only saw one other person at the restaurant. It was raining that night and I had to go to the hotel restaurant which was a 10 minute walk from the room. Normally, I could have taken the hotel cart, but the phones were not working that night so I had no way to contact the front desk for any assistance (a safety concern). I just was not comfortable and don't think I would recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Taryn H, Reservations Manager at Thaba Eco Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
05 November 2013

Dear Kenneth Clarke

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for raising your concerns and bringing important areas for improvement to our attention. It is very important for us at Thaba Ya Batswana to be aware of such feedback and to ensure that our valued customers are always our first and foremost priority.

We would like to respond to your feedback as follows:

We are disappointed that you felt that our hotel is isolated and too far from the city. We think the rainy night added to your feeling of discomfort. In fact we are only 11km from the Johannesburg city centre! The evening you stayed over at the Thaba Ya Batswana was one of our rare quiet evenings and this could have affected your opinion of the hotel.

We apologize unreservedly for the in-room telephone that was not working. Unfortunately the rain caused our service to be interrupted.

The design of our hotel rooms was inspired by the historical and environmental elements of two groups of Tswana people who lived here 300 and 500 years ago. We have used stone work and domes throughout our venue to continue their style of building. Our website has more information on the unique aspects of Thaba Ya Batswana.

We believe in creating lifelong friendships and this is what we hope to establish with you, your friends and family over time. We trust that you will have time to enjoy the unsurpassed setting and service that Thaba Ya Batswana offers when you next visit South Africa, as our aim to offer our clients an unforgettable experience and look forward to having them back for all special occasions.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Kind regards
STOEP CATERING CC

TARYN HEGGIE
RESERVATIONS MANAGER
Ebene, Mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here while I delivered a training at the hotel and I was highly pleased with my stay - both my stay and as someone who used the conference facilities.

I stayed in what they call Bushveld suit - room was clean, spacious, and had lots of facilities. But more important that the room was the amazing service of the personal - almost all without exception were friendly and professional.

I do have some feedback for manager:

a) The information card in the room says restaurant opens at 6:30am for breakfast. That's not correct - the restaurant staff told me it's always been 7am. I was there 6:30am on my last day since I had an early flight and they were still setting up. The staff did try and accommodate me at that early hour. Thanks to Thobile (she does awesome omelettes) and when the cooker in the restaurant was slow to heat up, she went into the kitchen to make my omelette.

b) For the classrooms where training occurs, please do look at getting bold markers with THICKER heads - the ones supplies are tiny and inadequate for anything but a small meeting where everyone is around a table.

c) At least during conferences, do make sure Internet access is better. It was slow and often went out completely.

Room Tip: In the evening and morning, if you look hard in the grass you'd see some cute little rodent-like...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Taryn H, Reservations Manager at Thaba Eco Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
20th September 2013

Dear Sir

We would like to respond to your feedback as follows:

We apologize unreservedly that our in room card stated the incorrect breakfast time - this has now been corrected. We are also busy with new in room folders. We have passed your thanks on to Thobekile for her awesome omelets.

We have requested larger markers for bigger groups at our operations department.

Thanks to your feedback on the internet access, we are sourcing a new supplier for the internet. As our internet supply is affected by the weather this has also now been taken into account.

We believe in creating lifelong friendships and this is what we hope to establish with you, your friends and family over time. It is the first time that we have had this feedback and we trust that the measures that we have put in place will ensure that it will not happen again.

Our aim at Thaba Ya Batswana is to offer our clients an unforgettable experience and look forward to having them back for all special occasions.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Kind regards
STOEP CATERING CC
TARYN HEGGIE
RESERVATIONS MANAGER
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Recently we had the opportunity to bring together a large group of family and friends from South Africa, USA and UK to celebrate our wedding and a very special birthday. Thaba Ya Batswana turned out to be the perfect venue. The venue is close to Johannesburg and very convenient for air and road travellers. It was close enough for day guests, and onsite accommodation for those travelling further. Our aim was to have our guests interacting and mingling with each other. The restaurant provided a superb buffet within a country style setting. The added opportunity for our friends to spend time with the lion cubs and to enjoy the nature reserve and other facilities provided more opportunity to catch up with the latest family news and meet old friends. This exceptional weekend will not easily be forgotten.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Thaba Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!