“Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars
Review of il Tartufo

il Tartufo
Hutton Court, 1 Summit Road | Cnr. Jan Smuts Avenue, Hyde Park 2196, Johannesburg, South Africa
011 7888948
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 728 restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Just around the corner from Backpackers Ritz Youth Hostel. Fantastic real Italian food, some of the best I have tasted, including in Italy! Reasonably priced and excellent value for money!
Pretoria, South Africa
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is the best Italian restaurant that I have been to in Joburg. It is set in a shopping centre which is a bit of a pity but, once you get inside the décor and atmosphere is great. Zoran, the manager and the Italian chef whose name I did not get, really look after you.
The salmon tagliatelle pasta that I had was devine. Loved the wine that Zoran recommended and it went well with my pasta dish.
I loved the fact that everything is freshly homemade - it is all delicious.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg
“Massive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

It was on a Wednesday evening at 7. Since its a midweek day, I and my wife thought it would be best to go to Tartufo for tha very first time. As we parked our car tha security was already next to tha drivers door, knowing our property is in safe hands; tha manager Zoran was already by tha door side with one of tha waiters David to welcome us. Tha welcome was super fine. As my husband tried to mention reservation for two; Zoran spit my husband's name out, giving us way to our table as if we have known each other for a longh time. As we sat down two glasses of Prossecco. In no time at all tha waiter Knowledge was running us through tha menu, wonderful service it was. For starters we had Creme brulee asparagus that tested like nothing on earth. It was tha best dish I have tested. We had Ravioli basil for mains followed by Tiramisu for desert. That's a ten out ten to chef Omar. Then a Limoncello and Amaro Montenigro as tha original Italian tradition. I'm definitely going back again. Thanks to all your great food and service. *****

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best Italian Flavor in Jhb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The truffle pasta is the most memorable I have had! The stuff makes you feel at home, every dish is full of flavour and taste! One of the best Italian spots I have come across!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rosebank, South Africa
“Very good food - Austere setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This has got to be some of the best Italian food that I have ever tasted - divine! The homemade pasta & veal, that amazing asparagus crème brulee - it is all very, very good.

The wine was also good but there were not so many Italian choices.

The restaurant itself just seemed a bit 'cold' - probably as it was not very busy - which is really a shame as this place is well worth supporting. The music could be a bit louder and better so you don't have to whisper over the quietness.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sandton
“Italian Excellance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

What fantastic food. From the asparagus crème brulee through to the home made pastas - it is a treat. Lovely, friendly service and the cutest Italian chef. Quite sublime.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere