“Good riddance!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef Hotel

You added The Reef Hotel to your Saves list
The Reef Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   58 Anderson St | Marshalltown, Johannesburg 2001, South Africa   |
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“Good riddance!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I had booked to stay at this hotel between 26-29th Feb. 2012 but later cancelled because it was far away from the venue of my conference. But it was good riddance i didn't stay with them because they ended up coning me R750 through my debit card. As if that is not enough, when i went in person to complain the lady at the reception- NOORIA kept on saying she doesnt know how to refund the money although she agrees they wrongly charged me. When i insisted she 'faked refund' by swipping my debit card!!!!!!!! and i guess she thought- good riddance!! but am not done with them because i feel cheated especially because they kept me for close to two hours waiting!!!

SO DONT BE CONNED! I plan to go back with cops in two weeks time to reclaim my money!

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This hotel was ok. There was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't great either. It's very clean and modern, and although the rooms are comfortable, they are a bit dark. The bathroom and the bedroom are not two separate rooms - they are merely separated by a wall, so don't share a room with someone you're not comfortable with hearing you go to the bathroom.

The hotel only gives you 100MB of free internet which goes quickly, and because it requires log-in it can only be used by one person at a time, meaning if you're sharing a room you can't both use the internet simultaneously. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

While it's fine to go out of the hotel during daylight hours, the business area it's situated in empties out after 6pm and becomes very unsafe. The hotel does have its own drivers and are helpful in arranging transportation for you.

The other annoying thing that happened was that the power went out twice, although only in my room and not anyone else's. The first time they came and fixed it quickly but the second time it took them a long time to respond. It is a bit unsettling sitting in a dark room at night without any lights, waiting for someone to come fix it.

Room Tip: Don't share a room with someone you aren't super comfortable around - the bedroom and bathro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I travelled to Johannesburg for business but decided to book an extra night in this hotel so that I could also take in a bit of the city. Unfortunately I regretted my decision to book a room at the Reef hotel and, although I will be travelling back to the city again, I will not be staying at this hotel.

The hotel is trying to pitch towards the business guest but I found it did not meet my needs. Firstly, when I met my colleagues in the lounge I was very surprised that the hotel would not allow the drinks to be charged to my room. This meant I had to dash up to my room to get cash to cover the entertainment, not a classy business move..... I also booked the deluxe room as it offered free wifi internet. Be warned, this internet service is limited to 100mb, needs to be constantly logged back in (making file downloads difficult) and your access to it will be terminated early on the morning of your departure. You are also meant to get an espresso machine in the deluxe room. Mine was broken, spilled water all over the floor and when I asked them to fix/replace it, I returned to the room to find a small kettle and received no apology for the lack of this facility. Also missing was the 'well stocked minibar', I had a fridge under the desk which was completely bare and is tied into the energy saving 'card system' which turns all electricity off in the room if you do not have your room card in the appropriate slot. This means any drinks you do decide to keep in the fridge (maybe some milk for the coffee you now have to make because the espresso machine is broken and they haven't supplied you with any milk) will be warm by the time you return. I received an unbooked wakeup call at 6:30am when the receptionist wanted to know if an iron and ironing board was in my room as another guest required it (no was the answer, did they really have to wake me?). The website also says there is 'video on demand', this means you can access a limited number of channels on the wall mounted TV, but for a business hotel there is a lack of any international channels such as CNN or BBC. When you select the option for movies the TV explains that the selected service has been locked by reception (on demand?).

I also found the bottled water was not replenished after the maid had serviced the room. When I questioned this at reception I was told that the water is complimentary and only offered when you arrive. It may seem like a small point, but its lots of things like this that turn you off a hotel fast. After all, I paid just as much for the second night as I did the first!

Although initially the staff appeared keen to help, they did not deliver on any of my requests (such as replacing the espresso machine). When I finally asked to speak to the manager I was told that she had gone to help another guest and would phone me in my room. I never received a call and left shortly there after.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Baarn, Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is rennovated for the world cup. In the rooms you can see the old building and the new style they have used. The rooms where very clean and comfortable. I can recomment this hotel if you want to have a nice hotel for a good price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Knysna, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Reef Hotel Gold,and was pleasantly surprised,and the good serviceand friendliness of the staff at the hotel. Everyone from the receptionist to the cleaners were very helpfull,and treated me like a queen. I love the modern decor in the rooms,and are really impressed by the energy saving measures they have in place. Its well located ,and although the coceirge service where short staffed they made a plan so that I can have ashuttle service in time. Please keep up the good work,I will definitely recommend this hotel to any business traveller.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

You can't go wrong with this hotel. It's 1 year old and it shows. Very modern rooms and nice bathroom, huge HDTV. In case you are not black and feel a bit edgy about being in a 99%-black neighbourhood, you might opt for a hotel in the Sandton area. However, as a white guy I didn'experience any problems on the street whatsoever, not during daytime nor at night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
The Plains, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

The food is good, the rooms modern, the baths smartly attired, and even my standard room had six nice pillows. The free internet is OK, but the facility must certainly improve the bandwidth during peak times. A desk with three varieties of plug (UK, EU and SoAfrica). Breakfast buffet is as good as anyplace I've eaten: Custom eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatos, potatos, cereal, yogurt, fruit and fresh juices (not bottled or canned). And you can rely upon them for efficient airport transfers at a fair price, or even a ride anywhere else you might need. Location is urban OK, neither dangerous nor especially impressive, but on the edge of the city center.

Room Tip: I would not know.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!