“Grand Stay at the Holiday Inn Rosebank Nov. 2012” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Grand Stay at the Holiday Inn Rosebank Nov. 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I enjoyed the location of this hotel. My family and I very safe. Security is on the ground floor. You have to take an elevator to another floor to reach the lobby and check in. The hotel is located in a suburb of Johannesburg and in The Zone outdoor shopping area, magnificent food at the restaurant and great bar staff. I obtained South African money with Mandela on it. It was recently released at the time. The front desk staff needs more training on check out procedures and were the least friendliest. Also, they need to recognize their gold Priority Club members. The rooms were clean, I particularly like the mini-fridge, ergonomic work desk and chair, bathroom and shower. I will post pictures soon.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Grateful thanks for your great review of our hotel. Your kind comments are much appreciated about our team and we will be striving to improve the areas where we had let you down. Our location and access to facilites, offices and shopping opportunities certaily makes us first choice for many corporate an leisure travellers. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Bill Frohlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I think it is hard to beat the location of the Holiday Inn at Rosebank. From the airport, it is easy to get there by the Gautrain. Once in the hotel, there are many options for eating out and doing shopping. The Gautrain Rosebank station is just next to the hotel and it is possible to get from there to Sandton, Pretoria and Park, where it is possible to take the hop on hop off bus.

The hotel was very clean and the rooms were very comfortable. The only downside was at the reception desk. Staff get stuff done, which is good. I never had any real problem with the service, but I think they should probably smile and be more friendly to guests. I felt that staff in this hotel gave the impression to be unhappy as opposed to staff in other Holiday Inn hotels around the world.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. I was pleased to read of your positive comments regarding location and convenience as well as access to The Gautrain and surrounds. Thank you also for the comments relating to our employee's efficiency and we note your comments on friendliness at our front desk.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here for four days on a business trip and am so glad I chose it over others in the area! As a woman arriving in Jo'burg alone at night I was a bit nervous to travel by myself from the airport but the train stops directly outside of the hotel and is in a busy area so I felt completely safe. The hotel is new, modern, and the rooms are very spacious. The restaurant is good but if you want different food you can head to the attached shopping mall which has a lot of options.

The staff were excellent, especially the man who was responsible for managing the business meeting I hosted one morning. Innocent had everything set up in the room more than 45 minutes before we were set to start (except the food, which he thoughtfully waited until right before the meeting to ensure it was fresh and the right temperature) and was accessible the entire morning. I always worry about technology glitches for these types of events but he took care of everything, including bringing an additional converter for a colleague's laptop. I would absolutely recommend this hotel for business meetings based on the professional and attentive service I received from Innocent and the rest of the staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: I would request a high floor to minimize any noise from people outside at the mall or passing by on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and conferenence facilites during your recent visit. It was pleasing to note that everyhting was to your satisfaction, especially in the conference centre where our excellent team is able to cater for all needs of conference attendees. It is especially pleasing to read that Innocent was able to reassure and provide the required IT support that was needed. We hope to be of service to you in the near future.
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was here for a work trip and really enjoyed being here. It is located next to a mall that you can basically get anything you need. Its safe and if you are suffering from jet lag its very comfortable. The food is good, the staff friendly, the small gym is good for early mornings...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Grateful thanks for your great review of our hotel and I was pleased that we were able to deliver service to your satisfaction. I shall be sharing your excellent comments with our team and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have just spent 2 weeks at this hotel. I was very pleased.

The room was large, modern and very comfortable with a perfect desk/work-station. The staff was always attentive & helpful.

Given the length of stay, my key criteria were a)Location (Perfectly met: next to Gautrain station; connected mall restaurant facilities; and more central than Sandton), b)On-site Gym (Yes, limited, but quite adequate), and c)Efficient, Complementary Internet (Very Good: all complaints in earlier posts to be discounted. The hotel now provides free 200Mb per day - as high as many telephone plans allow in a month; I never came close to the limit, even after 5 hours continuously online. In all 12 days there was only a single, temporary overnight interruption of service.)

Re Crown Plaza vs. HolidayInn, both in Rosebank?: Bottom line, if you like the hustle-and-bustle of a large hotel with drive-in entrance, and a lot of staff & busboy interaction, the Crown Plaza might be for you. But if you like to be left alone, in a quieter, more genteel (yes, defying stereotype) atmosphere, the HolidayInn may be better. It has a slick, somewhat boutique-like feel, having half the number of rooms of the CP. The HolidayInn location is superior in being 3 blocks closer to the Gautrain, and immediately leading into a shopping mall with a multitude of restaurants and facilities (CP is a block's street walk). The low-key street entrance (that might seem less impressive to guests),with elevator to elegant 2nd floor reception) is made up for by higher ceilings in corridors & rooms.

The breakfasts are everything you could wish for. The do-it-yourself 'Business-Center' (they supply the computers and printer, you just plug in your own USB) was perfect for my purposes (leave me alone to get my work done). The on-site, basement-parking is safe & convenient. The views (even from the floor right above reception) over Jakaranda'd JHB are lovely. The services are efficient (iron & board delivered promptly, laundry well-handled). The meeting-room facilities seem good for larger groups; but note that if you need a small (2-6) meeting space, the Hyatt right next door rents a very elegant one by the hour.

My only gripes would be: the room-safe cannot accomodate a standard 15.5" laptop. There is no reason a 2nd Vector station & barbell-set could not be accommodated in the gym (although I fortunately never ran into a conflict).

Overall, I'd give this hotel a 5, highest marks for its price/caliber category. I give it a 4 only to leave room for hotels with swankier ambitions (even though I might still choose this one over those).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your comprehensive review of our hotel and for the many compliments and positive aspects of your two week stay. I was delighted to learn of your positive experience and I shall be passing your good wishes on to our team. We do hope to be of service to you when you are next in Johannesburg and once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in detail.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosebank in Johannesburg many times, to the extent that i am now a Platinum member. I have written many favourable reviews on this site and on the iHG site.
Unfortunately I have to say that the hotel has gone backwards at a fast rate in the last 6 weeks. Some things can be overlooked as "one-offs" but there have just been to many "one-offs" to ignore. From broken doors, to broken window latches, to no towel in room to no tea in room to no soap in room...etc, in consecutive stays. Last night I checked in , only to find that the aircon doesn't work and when I open the window I get traffic noise all night ! No sleep. I reported the problem at 06h15 this morning but arrive back at 16h30 to be told that " Im sure it has been fixed". ...It had not been fixed followed by various utterances that "maintenance" is dealing with it until I got confirmation from a maintenance guy that it was a problem throughout all rooms and that the shopping centre was denying responsibility. Eventually they offered me another room with no aircon and more noisy ! as it is on a lower floor and near the central zircon...which makes noise but doesnt work!
iSo I now sit again with no aircon and a noisy street. No communication from anyone in management, even to their frequent guests...just denials from reception. I even tried to leave a comment on the IHG website that asks for a review after each stay. It wont accept a comment because their site wont accept a comment in advance of check out! I'm a Platinum Member. God help the rest !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review recentlyand at the outset I would like to offer our sincere apologies for the problem that you encountered with our hotel during your stay at our hotel.
Our aim is to provide all our guests with a seamless and memorable experience and regrettably this was not the case during your stay.
All of your comments, especially regarding housekeeping service have been noted and the appropriate action will be taken to remedy the areas requiring improvement. Our air conditioning did experience a major malfunction as a result of being in a mixed use development where services are shared with The Zone Shopping Centre and regrettably, the inappropriate action was taken by The Zone Management to rectify the issue timeously. Our sincere apologies that you were not informed of updates on the repair to air conditioning.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights while on a business trip. It was generally good, in a good location, right next to shops and restaurants. It is also walking distance to the African Craft Market, so those who are looking for souvenirs won't need to walk far. Hotel itself is comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable with selection of soft or firm pillows available. Breakfast selection was good, with changing selection of type of porridge, and also an egg station. Only downside to the hotel is the gym with not much equipment available and the machines there were quite noisy. Otherwise, I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your great review of our hotel during your recent stay. It was pleasing to note that you found our hotel comfortable and well located. Your comment regarding Gym equipment is noted for future rectification. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Bill Frohlich

Been to Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank? Share your experiences!