“Perfect for Price & Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
New York, NY
“Perfect for Price & Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have just spent 2 weeks at this hotel. I was very pleased.

The room was large, modern and very comfortable with a perfect desk/work-station. The staff was always attentive & helpful.

Given the length of stay, my key criteria were a)Location (Perfectly met: next to Gautrain station; connected mall restaurant facilities; and more central than Sandton), b)On-site Gym (Yes, limited, but quite adequate), and c)Efficient, Complementary Internet (Very Good: all complaints in earlier posts to be discounted. The hotel now provides free 200Mb per day - as high as many telephone plans allow in a month; I never came close to the limit, even after 5 hours continuously online. In all 12 days there was only a single, temporary overnight interruption of service.)

Re Crown Plaza vs. HolidayInn, both in Rosebank?: Bottom line, if you like the hustle-and-bustle of a large hotel with drive-in entrance, and a lot of staff & busboy interaction, the Crown Plaza might be for you. But if you like to be left alone, in a quieter, more genteel (yes, defying stereotype) atmosphere, the HolidayInn may be better. It has a slick, somewhat boutique-like feel, having half the number of rooms of the CP. The HolidayInn location is superior in being 3 blocks closer to the Gautrain, and immediately leading into a shopping mall with a multitude of restaurants and facilities (CP is a block's street walk). The low-key street entrance (that might seem less impressive to guests),with elevator to elegant 2nd floor reception) is made up for by higher ceilings in corridors & rooms.

The breakfasts are everything you could wish for. The do-it-yourself 'Business-Center' (they supply the computers and printer, you just plug in your own USB) was perfect for my purposes (leave me alone to get my work done). The on-site, basement-parking is safe & convenient. The views (even from the floor right above reception) over Jakaranda'd JHB are lovely. The services are efficient (iron & board delivered promptly, laundry well-handled). The meeting-room facilities seem good for larger groups; but note that if you need a small (2-6) meeting space, the Hyatt right next door rents a very elegant one by the hour.

My only gripes would be: the room-safe cannot accomodate a standard 15.5" laptop. There is no reason a 2nd Vector station & barbell-set could not be accommodated in the gym (although I fortunately never ran into a conflict).

Overall, I'd give this hotel a 5, highest marks for its price/caliber category. I give it a 4 only to leave room for hotels with swankier ambitions (even though I might still choose this one over those).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Many thanks for your comprehensive review of our hotel and for the many compliments and positive aspects of your two week stay. I was delighted to learn of your positive experience and I shall be passing your good wishes on to our team. We do hope to be of service to you when you are next in Johannesburg and once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in detail.

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosebank in Johannesburg many times, to the extent that i am now a Platinum member. I have written many favourable reviews on this site and on the iHG site.
Unfortunately I have to say that the hotel has gone backwards at a fast rate in the last 6 weeks. Some things can be overlooked as "one-offs" but there have just been to many "one-offs" to ignore. From broken doors, to broken window latches, to no towel in room to no tea in room to no soap in room...etc, in consecutive stays. Last night I checked in , only to find that the aircon doesn't work and when I open the window I get traffic noise all night ! No sleep. I reported the problem at 06h15 this morning but arrive back at 16h30 to be told that " Im sure it has been fixed". ...It had not been fixed followed by various utterances that "maintenance" is dealing with it until I got confirmation from a maintenance guy that it was a problem throughout all rooms and that the shopping centre was denying responsibility. Eventually they offered me another room with no aircon and more noisy ! as it is on a lower floor and near the central zircon...which makes noise but doesnt work!
iSo I now sit again with no aircon and a noisy street. No communication from anyone in management, even to their frequent guests...just denials from reception. I even tried to leave a comment on the IHG website that asks for a review after each stay. It wont accept a comment because their site wont accept a comment in advance of check out! I'm a Platinum Member. God help the rest !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review recentlyand at the outset I would like to offer our sincere apologies for the problem that you encountered with our hotel during your stay at our hotel.
Our aim is to provide all our guests with a seamless and memorable experience and regrettably this was not the case during your stay.
All of your comments, especially regarding housekeeping service have been noted and the appropriate action will be taken to remedy the areas requiring improvement. Our air conditioning did experience a major malfunction as a result of being in a mixed use development where services are shared with The Zone Shopping Centre and regrettably, the inappropriate action was taken by The Zone Management to rectify the issue timeously. Our sincere apologies that you were not informed of updates on the repair to air conditioning.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights while on a business trip. It was generally good, in a good location, right next to shops and restaurants. It is also walking distance to the African Craft Market, so those who are looking for souvenirs won't need to walk far. Hotel itself is comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable with selection of soft or firm pillows available. Breakfast selection was good, with changing selection of type of porridge, and also an egg station. Only downside to the hotel is the gym with not much equipment available and the machines there were quite noisy. Otherwise, I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your great review of our hotel during your recent stay. It was pleasing to note that you found our hotel comfortable and well located. Your comment regarding Gym equipment is noted for future rectification. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Alice Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

ok, location is great, lots of restaurants etc nearby, and the gautrain is right next door.
The hotel is new and clean.
Staff very friendly and helpfull,
Breakfast for me good, egg station, nice selection of fruit etc, happy staff.
Stayed here 4 nights and will be more than happy to stay again.
Thanks guys

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn of your great experience at our hotel, especially the comment realting to our team. Our location in Rosebank is a unique selling point with access to the Gautrain and several shoppingh malls and restaurants. We look forward to being of service to you in the future and again thank you for your patronage and great comments.
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is my place when I visit J'burg on business trip, never had an issue, room are comfortable, service is very good, breakfast is g.r.e.a.t. could not find a criticism worth to be mentioned. Only once I had to wait the afternoon to get to the room (EU flights often lands in SA early morning), but nothing really major. A very good hotel.

Room Tip: Use the Gautrain as it stops right in front!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for your great review of our hotel. It is gratifying to see that during many stays at our hotel you found us to be consistent and able to cater to your expectations. The Gautrain is well located for access to our hotel and many of our guests are using this method of transport from O R Tambo International Airport. once again thank you and we hope to be of service to you in the future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

MUCH better than other HI's. I was hesitant and looked at the Crowne Plaze but boy am I glad I stayed here. Easy access to the mall (and food), the Gautrain is out front and the people are super friendly. The internet is a bit dodgy and make sure you log out if you purchase a voucher, but all in all a great hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the main road
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your great and succinct review of our hotel. I was pleased to read of your great experience and that you found our hotel convenient and well located.
We look forward to welcoming you back to uor hotel in the future.
Eilat, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'll start by saying that with free wi-fi I might have considered a 5-star rating. If I'm tired when I get to a hotel, I want to turn on my computer or stop paying roaming charges for my phone without having to negotiate some commercial transaction in order to use the internet. I also believe that it is becoming a standard feature for this class of business hotel and so I resent when it's not offered. It's inconvenient.

The room - not large, not small - was nicely appointed with pretty much everything I needed: a working table with desk chair, a comfy chair, and a mini-fridge. (Also a water kettle with a coffee-and-tea selection but all the coffee packets in my room were decaf.) The decor is euro-stylish. The large window opens but only a little. The A/C would be the other thing detracting from a 5-star experience. I had it on lowest temp and max blow, and it never cooled the room off. I'm guessing there's some central control somewhere overuling what I wanted.

The bathroom is also nicely set up, although I had 2 minor complaints: the temperature of the shower water takes too long to react to turning the temperature dial so getting it 'just right' is difficult if you don't have some extra time to kill. And the little plastic bottles of shampoo and shower soap are nearly too hard to squeeze out the contents. I know that this sounds like a really petty complaint but it added up to more time spent trying to take a shower.

A real plus: there were several electrical sockets in the room equipped to handle European and (I think) American plugs. I traveled without an adapter and thankfully didn't need one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks fro your review of our hotel during your recent stay. It was pleasing to note that most of your expectations were met and that you enjoyed your stay. My sincere apologies for the WIFI difficulties. We have recently increased our offering to 20MB per day and should this be insufficient, additional time or bandwidth can be purchased. From 1 January 2014 all WIFI will be free to all IHG Reawrds members.
We do hope to be of service to you in the future.
Bill Frohlich

Been to Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank? Share your experiences!