“Pleasant and well-appointed room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Eilat, Israel
“Pleasant and well-appointed room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'll start by saying that with free wi-fi I might have considered a 5-star rating. If I'm tired when I get to a hotel, I want to turn on my computer or stop paying roaming charges for my phone without having to negotiate some commercial transaction in order to use the internet. I also believe that it is becoming a standard feature for this class of business hotel and so I resent when it's not offered. It's inconvenient.

The room - not large, not small - was nicely appointed with pretty much everything I needed: a working table with desk chair, a comfy chair, and a mini-fridge. (Also a water kettle with a coffee-and-tea selection but all the coffee packets in my room were decaf.) The decor is euro-stylish. The large window opens but only a little. The A/C would be the other thing detracting from a 5-star experience. I had it on lowest temp and max blow, and it never cooled the room off. I'm guessing there's some central control somewhere overuling what I wanted.

The bathroom is also nicely set up, although I had 2 minor complaints: the temperature of the shower water takes too long to react to turning the temperature dial so getting it 'just right' is difficult if you don't have some extra time to kill. And the little plastic bottles of shampoo and shower soap are nearly too hard to squeeze out the contents. I know that this sounds like a really petty complaint but it added up to more time spent trying to take a shower.

A real plus: there were several electrical sockets in the room equipped to handle European and (I think) American plugs. I traveled without an adapter and thankfully didn't need one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Many thanks fro your review of our hotel during your recent stay. It was pleasing to note that most of your expectations were met and that you enjoyed your stay. My sincere apologies for the WIFI difficulties. We have recently increased our offering to 20MB per day and should this be insufficient, additional time or bandwidth can be purchased. From 1 January 2014 all WIFI will be free to all IHG Reawrds members.
We do hope to be of service to you in the future.
Bill Frohlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wendover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was disappointed that the Westcliff wasn't available (closed for renovations) and booked into this HI due to the location and proximity to my office. Location is great and hotel is connected to a mall with a number of good restaurants, so you can have a few nice meals and do some shopping without going outside, The rooms are typical HI and new so that was ok. When I arrived they only had a twin available and moved me after the first night to a double which I thought was nice (they reminded me rather than the other way around). The hotel has a mini gym with a very noisy cross trainer but its enough for a couple of nights stay. The hotel in itself is very good.

I have mixed reviews of the taxi service, Having stayed at the Westcliff where they arrange everything, this was different; there was no taxi to pick me up from the airport (had to wait over 30 minutes late at night) and one day it took them over an hour to collect me from work (less than 5 miles away), however when I was very clear on the requirements they got me and even issued an extra invoice/charge to take me to the airport to save me withdrawing cash. The taxi driver was courteous too; just be very clear on your requirements/times etc.

All in all I'd stay there again; good enough HI in a great location,

Room Tip: get there early as it fills up in the week
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay and I was pleased to note that our hotel exceeded your expectations. My sincere apologies for the difficulties you encountered with the Taxi Service and we will be making our approved transport supplier aware of these problems so that these issues can be rectified in the future.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels, I very seldom write reviews unless I find something unexpected. If you go to an Intercontinental or Ritz and have a bad experience, that is unexpected, let people know. If you have a good experience there, that is expected, what you are paying for. If you have an amazing experience at a Best Western, that is unexpected, let people know.

There are a lot of brands in the Holiday Inn chain, I typically look for at least a Crowne Plaza level. In Joburg, this Holiday Inn appeared to be in the best location, so I booked it. Didn’t expect much, Holiday Inns are run of mill, decent, clean, will have a bar, a mediocre restaurant, etc. This one surprised me. The location was better than it appeared; the airport train stop is right out front and it is attached to two malls/markets. The hotel wasn’t fancy, but had everything you would need. It was in good shape and kept up well. The staff were amazing, everyone from check-in, to breakfast, to the restaurant to the bar were sincere and attentive. The restaurant wasn’t mediocre, it was good…I had a great lamb dish and discovered a wonderful Pinotage.

It is not a matter of would I stay there again, when I go back to Joburg, I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel during your recent stay. It was great to read your positive experience especially from an experienced and seasoned traveller. Sincere thank you for your glowing comments regarding our team. It is our aim to ensure a seamless and memorable experience for of our guests and I was pleased to read that this has been achieved during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Hartsville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at your hotel in July, 2013 for 2 nights before travelling on to Namibia. Had a very nice time and particularly liked the view from the bar. Met some lovely people who specifically go there for the view. The rooms were very comfortable, ventilation was fine and the bathroom was very clean. Accessibility to the mall areas was creative and I felt very safe, even when I went out alone in search of a liquor store after 8 PM, in preparation for our safari. One staff member on the ground floor particularly tried to give me directions to find that. Breakfast was very good. Staff were helpful and professional. I did get stuck in the elevator on the right for nearly two hours, but the ground attendant was on it immediately, and the desk staff, before shift change, communicated throughout, even locating my husband The elevator is mirrored and I spent my time looking at myself, exercising a little and finally taking a nap until the elevator man arrived and secured my release. (There was someone stuck in another elevator at the Hyatt, I believe). A nice female security guard walked upstairs with me, where I found my husband, happily chatting and drinking free beer with a new friend...at midnight. When I asked for some water, the night clerk at the desk did not give me any, saying the bar was closed. That was the only negative I can think of about the entire stay. I would stay here again.

Warner R.

Room Tip: 532 was fine.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Many thanks fro your very positive review of our hotel during your July stay. I was delighted to note that you found our facilities, location and team at the hotel to your satisfaction and thank you for your kind words relating to our team members. My sincere apologies for the elevator malfunction and the time it took to release you from the elevator. Thank you for finding the positive and amusing side to this experience. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our two night stay at Holiday Inn Rosebank - just a short stay enroute Victoria Falls to Mauritius - its proximity to the Gautrain made access so easy and safe to and from the airport - the train & the stations appear brand new & not many people were using it. Just walk out of the station and straight into the Holiday Inn. (Mind you, you do have to change trains at Sandton but this was not a problem!) The hotel has private access to the Rosebank Mall which has loads of good shopping and heaps of good restaurants - the Mall area is massive and has security all over so no problems walking alone anywhere there.
Our room was very contemporary and clean - the only problem we had was with the air conditioning - it kept getting really hot and really cold during both nights.
Front desk staff were helpful and we booked a private tour to Soweto through them and was pleased with the driver they selected.
Breakfast was good with plenty of fresh food along with a good selection.
Yes I would stay there again & do recommend it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Grateful thanks for your recent review of our hotel and please accept my sincere apology for the intermittent fault on the air conditioning system, which will be rectified immediately. I was pleased to note that all other aspects of your stay exceeded your expectations and thank you for your kind comments realting to our team. Our location and proximity to the Gautrain and private direct access to the Zone Shopping Centre are unique features which many of our guests find appealing. We do hope to be of service to you in the future.
Dakar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I grew up in Memphis where Holiday Inn originated. Over the years have seen them steadily decline but have to say I was very pleased with my stay at the Holiday Inn at Rosebank in Johannesburg. Would stay there again, and would be a good place to leave the wife while working.

Warren is an excellent bartender as well!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel relating to your recent stay. I was pleased that we were able to provide great service and that you had a memorable stay. Warren is one of our team members who excels at his job aand is a true ambassador for our brand. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Grahamstown, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been staying in a lot of Holiday Inns recently and this was a reward night. Staff were excellent, room was exactly what you would expect and the venue ideal for Gautrain, shopping and accessing the city. Underground secure parking was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. I was delighted to learn that everything was to your satisfaction and that you found the location and access to Gautrain, Shops and offices to be convenient. We hope to be of service to you soon.
Bill Frohlich

Been to Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank? Share your experiences!