“One night at the Holiday Inn rosebank” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Tel Aviv, Israel
“One night at the Holiday Inn rosebank”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I wanted to redeem my Points and decided to stay my last day in Joburg at the Holiday Inn Rosebank
Well located , on top of the Zone shopping mall and few steps away from the Rosebank mall
No club floor and no suits but the rooms are nice and well decorated
Nice breakfast
overall experiences - very good

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing the rewiew on our hotel and that your stay with us was satisfactory. We do hope that when you are visiting Johannesburg again that we can be of service to you and your family.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here for the first time in a while, since I usually stay at the HI in Sandown. Expecting a similar if not better experience, I was let down. Very little recognition of Priority status upon check in and during stay, so don't expect much. The hotel is attached to the Zone shopping centre, which is good for bars and amenities, however the room I had was overlooking the main street of the Zone and was very noisy, especially as it was Heritage Day. Rooms are quite small and this was supposed to have been one of the better rooms. I had to reset TV and search for channels every day, which was quite annoying as the TV would stick on one channel.

Amenities: Don't think you are going to have a swim in the pool - it is more decorative than functional. Service at poolside was non existing and I had to constantly walk in to the bar. Breakfast was ok, but quite limited. Nice Omelette making station and personnel friendly. Hotel bar very small and the hotel can seem quite claustrophobic after a couple of days. Wifi - quite good that it is free to all, but only 30MB per day and only other option is to buy, no conventions or benefits for priority members........... unlike all other HI hotels in SA and generally worldwide.

All in all, ok, but for a 7 day stay, it just didn't meet my expectations. Which is a pity as I travel often to SA and I like the Rosebank area. My suggestion would be to check out the Sandton HI, which for similar pricing is much more modern, better equipped, with much better breakfast and pool/services well in advance of this HI.

I did speak with the duty manager on a couple of occasions to try and resolve some of my disappointments, answer - I will inform the manager, who never contacted me or was any feedback provided.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the Zone street if you dont want noise. Also lower level rooms better...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Many thanks for your review of our hotel during your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and would like to offer my sincere aplogies for the areas that we have let you down. All the points that you have mentioned will be actioned immediately and where possible rectified.
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosebank quite a few times now when I'm in Johannesburg on business.

The room rates are good compared to nearby hotels and the location is convenient for both the local mall with a good selection of restaurants and of course the Guatrain to and from the airport.

Breakfast is also a treat, with the restaurant staff doing a great job.

What let my stay down this time was a lack of hot water. I informed the front desk when I left for dinner, staggered into bed after a very long day at work later that night and then found that there was still no hot water the next morning.

I'm not a pampered traveller, but hot water is pretty high on my scale of must haves..

Room Tip: Try getting one with hot water!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay and that overall you found everything to your satisfaction, especially access to the Gautrain and surrounding areas. Thank you also for your comment regarding our breakfast. My sincere apologies for the problem that you encountered with hot water. This has been investigated and and in line heater was found to be faulty, which has since been rectified.
We do hope we can be of service to you in the future and looke forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Although quit modest compare to Hyatt next door or crown plaza, butbgoog rooms, excellent location ( on the mall at train station) , helpfull staff
The room facing the road are noisy, I insisted and got a rear room but it was on noisy hvac equipment
There is no spa in the hotel and a very small gym room

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing the road and far away from the noisy hvac equipment on top of the mall roof
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Many thanks for your comprehensive review of our hotel during your recent stay. I was
pleased to note your satisfaction with our location and most of our services offered. My sincere apologies for the problems you encountered with your room and from the feedback received from yourself, these will be dealt with immediately. In particular I was perturbed to learn that there was an smell of cigarettes in the room and this issue has already been dealt with and the particular room deep cleaned and deodoroised.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Pluses:
- price was right - used Priority Club award!
- great location 50m from Gautrain, which takes you to/from airport
- adjacent to hugh shopping mall with lots of restaurants
- new - built for 2010 soccer world cup
- free breakfast, at least with our rate
Minuses:
- small guest rooms
- some things don't work (two lights were out, drain in shower was slow, sylilsh shower fixture was difficult to figure out and sprayed cold water on both me and my traveling companion
- for some reason they put the hair drier by the small desk in the bedroom, so that became the vanity, precluding other uses
- bed was hard
- nonsmoking room had been smoked in bathroom

Room Tip: Check that room doesn't smell smoky before settling in. Change room if it does.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your succinct review of our hotel during your recent stay. It is pleasing to note that you found our location to the surrounding area to be convenient and helpful with access to the Gautrain and the adjoining shopping centre. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the maintenance issues that you experienced which have all been rectified since reading your review. The particular room has also been deep cleaned and the smell of smoke has been removed.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Well-placed for Gautrein and Zone shopping centre (and do yourself a favour, go for a steak at the Grill House).

Rooms are very well furnished - modern, but not quirky, just quality.

Great views out of both sides of hotel - its on a hill so you'd expect that but its lovely to watch the sunrise in the morning at breakfast and sunset from your bedroom in the evening (if you're on the West side as I was).

Parking is a bit weird - you are told you have to pay forty rand once and then get your parking tickets authorised at reception. There seems to be plenty of parking though.

Noise - on the East side you have Oxford Road which can get a bit busy. Quite quiet on the Western side although there is a noisy airconditioning plant.

'Free Wifi' - or at least 30MB a day - is a total ripoff. I have my own 3G dongle that I used at work during the day. Even with some pretty extensive use I only managed to get through about 40 MB during the day. The '30 MB 'free' allowance' at the hotel was gone in about 10 minutes of very light use. This seems - as with the 'damage' to rental cars that requires you to check every last scratch on a car with 40000 km on it - to be a South African wheeze to get more dosh out of tourists and businessmen. Rather get your own dongle or be prepared to pay some very expensive rates for wifi!

Minor point - while the desk and chair in my room were absolutely brilliant to work at, the universal plug didn't allow me to fit my UK plug as it was only slightly above the desktop and the cable wouldn't bend. However, the South African plug was upside down and allowed me to fit my SA-UK converter plug - and then my laptop's plug - upside down as well.

Only free newspapers for Priority Club members? Very irritating although the staff were kind and helped me the first couple of days. I don't particularly like buying one from my car on the way to work but that might be the only option (or go to the garage on Oxford Road).

Beware that there is apparently no recirculation system for hot water in the hotel (which are designed to constantly circulate hot water so it comes hot out of the tap pretty soon after you turn it on) so if you're the first person on your floor to have a shower, it might take up to five minutes for the hot water to come through. In this time - if you're in a shower-only bedroom with the ridiculous wet-room approach where there is no shower door or curtain - the bathroom will be swimming in freezing cold water. I just don't know where some of these architects get their stupid ideas from! I understand the architect for Holiday Inn is a certain Louis Karol from Cape Town. Well the similarly-named Lewis Carroll (fair enough it was a pseudonym but don't bore me with detail) wrote 'Alice in Wonderland' which sort of sums up my feelings about pseudo-architects that can't restrain themselves from designing rubbish hotel rooms! It seems to be a disease in South Africa. Perhaps we should say 'Alles verlore in Wonderland' - I know I did on the second morning when I got all excited at the hot water coming out of the sink tap, got into the shower, lathered myself up with shampoo and soap (I'll leave that mental picture without any more detail) only for the hot water (which presumably was the end of the last person's shower on my floor) to abruptly stop and the water to turn cold. Can you imagine it. At that stage I would have loved to throttle the architect(s) or maybe arranged a public hanging. On enquiry at reception I was told they stay at this hotel on trips to Johannesburg. Well I hope - if it hasn't happened yet - that they have the same experiences as me and might finally understand what those discredited Western-style architectural tomes they probably dismissed as naff were trying to tell them about R.E.C.I.R.C.U.L.A.T.I.O.N M.A.I.N.S in hotels!!!

You may be asking why I've still given this hotel a good mark. Well - compared to others - its actually very good. The staff are unfailingly pleasant and patient (they obviously have to be with me) and the main bedrooms are very nice. The TV is good with four Supersport channels as well (although they should stop kowtowing to Asian visitors who want Hong Kong racing and leave them set to Supersport 1,2,3 and 4 as listed in the hotel guide). The malls in which the hotel is located have all the major shops and some very nice restaurants. If you don't go to the Grill House at least once on your visit you'll live to regret it - but watch out for the halaal Mike's Kitchen (at least the halaal Spur waitresses tell you you won't get pork or booze before you sit down!).

And could those pseudo-architects please tell me the reason for the ghostly green light under the handbasin? Totally weird and a waste of a good light switch that could have been used - with a light of course - to better illuminate the strangely-placed wardrobe (which is very difficult to put your clothes in as its squeezed in right next to the bathroom door). Oh yes, and that bathroom door. Which part of 'privacy' didn't they understand? While I admittedly was alone in Johannesburg on business, even then I felt exposed doing my toilet, because the frosted glass on the almost all glass door isn't all frosted and you can see out from (and of course, into!) the toilet and shower. Imagine if my wife was with me?! Doesn't bear thinking about......

Room Tip: Go for the West side but to the South of the lifts then you should avoid the noise of the aircon pla...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Many thanks for your comprehensive review of our hotel during your recent stay. It is not often that we get detailed feedback and we will certainly take note of the points that you have mentioned. Thank you for the positive comments realting to our team, whicyh are greatly appreciated from a discerning traveller.
We do hope to be of service to you in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I spent around 2 weeks in Holiday Inn Rosebank. Generally the hotel is average. Location is excellent as it is attached to Rosebank Mall so you do not need to go out if you want to have dinner - go to cinema - shop... etc. Staff are average, they are not those smiling staff but still they help you if needed. The big disavantage there is rooms- while I had a room with very good view but the room is small and its ceiling is low which annoys tall people like me. I did't feel happy in the room. Their breakfast is fine.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel during your November stay. I was pleased to note that overall you found everything to be in order and that you found the convenience of the hotel an advantage. Thank you also for the comments relating to our team, which will be adressed with the team and my sincere apologies that we let you down. Cognisance is also taken of the comments regarding room size and ceiling height.
Bill Frohlich

Been to Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank? Share your experiences!