“Quiet property close to everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Genesis Suites and Conferencing

Save Saved
You added Genesis Suites and Conferencing to your Saves list
Genesis Suites and Conferencing
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Sandler Road | Fairmount, Johannesburg, South Africa   |
Special Rate
Plated Breakfast Included
Ranked #13 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
San Francisco, California
“Quiet property close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I visited this property in early September. The hotel is situated about twenty minutes by car/taxi from OR Tambo IAP. It is in a quiet residential area with a Woolworth's grocery store and gas station nearby. The rooms are quite spacious and offer all the modern comforts of a suite. The downside being only one television. I found the staff to be friendly and ready to help at all times. The property offers laundry service and it was quick, though I wish they had had self service coin operated machines as the service is only operated Monday-Friday. Additionally, the property has multiple ATM's which came in handy in paying for expenses. The staff also set up tours of Johannesburg and Pilanesberg National Park, these were reasonably priced and the guides were very knowledgeable. I visited the restaurant a number of times and found the cuisine to be fresh and good but not great. I am very happy I found this property, I enjoyed staying here! If you are visiting Johannesburg for business, this is probably not the property for you. This is an excellent "escape" type property for those looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown life. It is clean, quiet, and comfortable. Highly recommended and I would definitely stay at this property again! Thank you GSC.

Room Tip: Stay away from the corner/end units as the rooms get a bit warmer than the inner ones!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the Trip Advisor Questionnaire following your recent stay, here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing.

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and what the area has got to offer. It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My daughter had to go into hospital for surgery so we were looking for something reasonably priced yet clean and comfortable and close to Linksfield Hospital .
Genesis Suites and Conference Centre proved to be the perfect spot.
We had a modern two bedroom unit with two bathrooms, perfect little kitchen, and lounge dinning room area.
The beds were nicely made up with crisp clean linen. The bathrooms were spotless.
I have to thank Hlophe the gentleman in reception who went out of his way to sort out a little problem that arose, he went out of his way to get the matter rectified and came up to the room personally to let me know that the problem was sorted out. Thank you Hlophe you were a star.
We stayed there for eight days and when we left it felt like we were leaving home. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be particularly helpful. It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed for a week at the end of August / beginning of September for work and visiting friends and was reasonably impressed by the facility initially. Having lived in Jo`burg previously for 18 months you tend to know what`s what, so food, drinks and taxi`s all reasonably priced if you know what you are looking for. A lot of staff cleanining floors and railings, but not really doing anything?!?! Bar / restaurant shuts by 9pm latest so that `s not the best. Noisy due to building work from very early in the morning. Main issue was money was stolen from my room on my third day. My fault as i didn `t have the money in the safe at the time as it was on the breakfast counter, but you don `t expect one of the 3 staff cleaning my room to take the money (when I`m sat on the sofa) - pounds sterling, but never the less quite a large amount!!! Spoke to reception regarding this and the guy looked bemused and not helpful at all and in the end i got fed up waiting for a more senior person. Didn `t eat or drink again in the hotel, was very wary when people were in my rooom. Also, used the safe from then on (should have in the first place!!!) No staff followed up my complaint.....enough said.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were most concerned to receive your comments from Trip Advisor advising us of the disappointment that you experienced during your recent stay, here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing.

I have personally addressed your comments to our Housekeeping & Front Office Departments in order that the issues you have raised can be addressed immediately.

In the meantime, I would, of course, like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only by receiving such information from valued Guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to address and rectify any problems that we may have.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Genesis Suites & Conferencing in the not too distant future.

Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Genesis Suites are very nice, lots of space and the staff are wonderful. The food in the cafe is very good with large portions and since you have a kitchen in your room you can take leftovers up and reheat the next day. The downside to this hotel is that it is far, far away from everything. That is ok if you have plenty of money for cabs because that is the way you have to get around. Cab fare is expensive though, and you have to arrange to be picked back up because cabs don't just hang around. J'Burg is so spread out that this might be typical of any hotel, I am not sure. I was using this as a two day rest and time adjustment and because it was so expensive to get to I would have been better staying at a more expensive hotel near the airport

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

It's a clean safe environment, clean; with fresh linens and towels every day...
what an amazing place to stay if you have business in the area..
It is a place to stay that gives me peace of mind for my safety, and a home-away-from-home....
modern clean and safe!! What more could one want!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, August 18, 2012

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I arranged a transfer from the airport to Genesis, gave them my flight details. Much to my disappointment when I landed at 7am, after travelling from Greece, there was no one waiting to pick me up. I called to ask what had happened, and they said that they were sending someone, only after I called to say I was waiting. After a 2 hour wait (note Genesis is 15minutes away from the airport), I was called to say the driver was outside at pick-up zone, and i had to go to him because he could not find a parking. Walking around in 7 degree weather was an added frustration. I didnt find the driver, so I went back to the terminal to wait, after serveral calls, I was told the driver was outside again, so I went back out and finally found him. He apologised but honestly it was very unprofessional. For R350, do yourself a favour and rather just get a taxi/cab from the airport there are many available on arrival and charge the same price. On arriving at Genesis, there were other guests who seemed to be waiting for a transfer to the airport, and the lady was literally shouting at the driver to hurry up as they were getting extremely late, so it seems that transfers are a general shortcoming of this place.

Even though the staff at reception were polite and professional, they weren't very apologetic about their obvious mistake. I was not even given a discount on the messed up transfer. And honestly I was to tired and frustrated at that point to argue so I just paid the amount due.

The apartment itself is great value for money. I would highly recommend the place. It is spacious and modern, with all the facilities and comfort of home. The building is secure and there seems to be safe parking for guests.

I was alittle disappointed as the Spar seemed to be under renovation. However there are restaurants in the building, I did not get a chance to try them though so can not comment on the quality of food. Genesis is located in a nice area, peaceful, not busy with traffic.

I would definitely stay here again, as you definitely get more than what you pay for in terms of the actual accommodation....however, I will definitely not arrange a tranfer with them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis Suites and Conferencing, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We very much appreciate reading your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have.

It will give us a great pleasure to welcome you back to Genesis Suites & Conferencing . Indeed, perhaps when planning your next visit to Johannesburg, you would be kind enough to contact my office directly in order that I can make the necessary arrangements for an airport pick-up and also to make sure that you will have an enjoyable stay with us.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Rooms were good. Breakfast was brilliant....we Live in Australia and needed a place to stay for a family Barmitzvah.
Tis hotel was recommended and we are glad it was. All worked out well and we had no complaints .

Room Tip: Family needs a two bedder. 1st floor . It was winter - no heters in the rooms however we had no issu...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

Nico Steenkamp

Been to Genesis Suites and Conferencing? Share your experiences!