“Hot hot hot... and so cool!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Whitely Street | Melrose Arch Precinct, Johannesburg 2076, South Africa   |
Ranked #23 of 71 hotels in Johannesburg
Oxfordshire, England
“Hot hot hot... and so cool!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a very stylish hotel in the Melrose Arch area of Johannesburg. It felt very safe and secure which was a godsend following some of the 'stories' we had heard about Jo'Burg.

The rooms are spacious and very clean and comfortable. Yes, the shower arrangements are unusual but there is a curtain to draw across, I just wouldn't recommend sharing with anyone you don;t know really well! It's all very stylish and there are some great features.

The staff were all amazingly friendly and willing to help - even if service could be a little on the slow side.

The bar area was lovely and it's definatley worth trying the milkshakes.... I'm normally not a fan but these were AMAZING!! Go for the pint....the half is hardly worth it!

The food is reasonable and tastes good with a good variety and the breakfast buffet has a huge range of options and is definately worth the cost if you're feeling hungry.

The area surroundi8ng the hotel seemed safe enough and I felt comfortable going about me business. There's a good range of shops, bars and restaurants too, so you aren't too tied to the hotel.

I would recommend staying here - it's a lovely hotel with a great atmosphere!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Travelozzy

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor and providing us with your outlook on both our physical features and services that are our product offers.

The TEAM we were most pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and more importantly that you felt safe within the Hotel and the Melrose Arch Precinct. It really is amazing to receive such positive feedback from our GUESTS and we would like to thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can continue delivering the service you so rightfully deserve.

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

No complaints at all with this hotel and we loved everything about it.

The design/decor was contemporary and edgy and we loved every bit of it.

It's within the gated environment of Melrose Arch and is very safe with access to real good restaurants.

The service was amazing as well.

Basically, no complaints at all and we got it for a good price (~ USD100/night)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Live_It_Ez

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We would just like to express our thanks for your words of appreciation. At The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, we take pride in delivering the best GUEST service and commit ourselves to getting the basics right consistently. Without your comments we will never know when we are doing right and more importantly when we are doing wrong.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to hosting you again in the not too distant future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I tried to be sooo positive about this place.If you have business in the area of Melrose Arch,
it's convenient and clean,I suppose acceptable,convenience of shops.I found it uninviting.
If you have a family,or just in relax mode,rather go to Sandton.The Southern Sun Hotels
are cheaper for similar rooms.Even the Protea Wanderers better choice.The pool is completely unacceptable for children.Hotel is modern,but cramped.This isn't Manhattan/London.
I'm a frequent guest at Protea.Late check-outs supposed to be standard.I was told to be out in 25 mins. from check-out time.I would not send my friends here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mattata1

Thank you for your valued feedback which you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We are disappointed to hear that you and your family did not enjoy a good experience with us and would like to apologise for not living up to your expectations. Although the hotel bedrooms were not designed to accommodate families with young children, many of the families we have accommodated in the past have always enjoyed a memorable stay and we are always happy to allow and welcome children of all ages.

If in the event you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please feel free to contact myself directly and I will gladly assist you with the best possible rate and ensure that you have a comfortable stay. If the occupancy allows, we would also be happy to extend a late departure to you at no additional cost.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and prove to you that we are an establishment that prides ourselves on the services and products that we provide.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Gabrielle Abrahams
Operations Manager
Polokwane, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel and wish we had stayed here longer. The rooms are quirky, and the open plan design suited us perfectly. The hotel is more hip than we are used to, but the atmosphere was great. The receptionist on check in really made us smile, and escorted us to our room when we got lost.

The milk shake bar wasn't anything to write home about, but sitting in the fashionable lounge was enough for us. This is a hotel that we will be coming back to!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms_Sadien

We were most pleased to hear that the atmosphere is great and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently, therefor I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This is a 4 Star Hotel.

The concept for this hotel is very nice. I would tweak a few thing like PRIVATE bathrooms. But, I love the concept and the hotel is beautiful.

This hotel is situated in a very good location. It is surrounded by many high end stores and a Woolworth store within walking distance.

From the moment we arrived, the front desk staff was extremely pleasant and friendly. The room was very nice. We ordered room service on our first night but we didn't receive our order for approximately a hour and a half. But, they were very sorry so it was no big deal.

The decor of the hotel is very beautiful. My only negative was the shower being in the room. My bed was next to the shower. That fact provided fodder for many jokes LOL.

A big plus for this hotel was the available plug, in the room, for US electronics.

Overall, we had a very good stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Mangoes112006

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with an in depth outline as to what transpired during your recent stay with us.

We at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch thrive on receiving GUEST feedback, as it is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. We would also like to apologise for the delayed room service delivery and I can confirm that your concern has been addressed and that corrective action is being taken to rectify the shortcomings.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Luanda, Angola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011 via mobile

Nice and stylish hotel. Good location with a variety of key stores just around the corner (at walking distance). Good decoration within the rooms.
Staff at the restaurant are friendly and very helpful, but the rest of the staff seems a bit slow.
Disappointed with the cleanliness part, as in my 3 days stay I had 2 observation, being 1) in one of the days my room was not clean until around 1PM and 2) in my last night I realized that the bed sheets that they changed in my bed was used and not clean...
Internet is complementary and the speed is good.

• Stayed November 2011
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Helder K

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently.

We would just like to express our gratitude that you took the time to convey your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS’ experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can prove to you that we are very proud and passionate of both our service and product.

Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I think at this point it's important to give you background about why I am such a firm and passionate fan of the Protea Hotels Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch: About 6 months ago I hosted my first event at this Hollywood style hotel for one of my clients - Yogi Sip. This was the start of a very pleasant – and fruitful relationship with one of the most professional and service orientated hotels I possibly know about.

So when the Protea Hotels Head Office contact me to inform me that I am the new ambassador for their Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch – I had all the reason in the world to celebrate with an adult milkshake or two!

I also found it fit to stay at the hotel during a recent visit by my mom – a girls weekend away of note.

Now, at this point, I'd already frequented the hotel but my mom had never seen it since she lives in Bloemfontein. She was highly impressed by the friendly staff at reception and even more so when we were greeted and welcomed by the owner of the hotel Anton Gillis upon arrival!

Up on the fifth floor, I discovered an incredible view from our room – facing the lovely pool area of the hotel. It was literally a view to die for!

The rooms are inviting and spacious, with twin beds and an open plan en-suite bathroom.
When it comes to design, you cannot help but notice the old school Hollywood theme throughout the hotel. From the hotel wallpaper, to the furniture to the décor in the restaurant and upstairs bar area – it’s all shouting fame and fortune.

Whether we were staying in or stepping out, the Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch offered a wide array of amenities and services. Each provided to help transform our stay into something truly extraordinary.

The Business Centre on the 1st floor at Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch provides guests with access to all the latest office technology, including my personal favorite the 150mb Free Wi-Fi to all guests every day.

The upstairs bar and pool lounge area is famous for their upbeat music, combined with intimately-spaced lounge chairs and daybeds. This area creates a communal atmosphere and is a magnetic social scene featuring original hotel-inspired cocktails. Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch is also home to the best Adult Milkshakes in the country – definitely a must have!

The hotel is in a great location as well - very accessible to restaurants and shopping in Melrose Arch – which left us with very little driving the weekend.

Our entire stay was a great experience from the moment we arrived we were given a warm and helpful welcome.

This hotel is and will always be my number 1 choice of hotels in Johannesburg and possibly on my top 5 lists in international hotels I have stayed at before.

A warm thanks to the entire Protea Hotel group for the experience, but mostly a special thanks to Anton Gillis and his wonderful team

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Allegra C

Thank you for your words of appreciation posted on Trip Advisor. We welcome the fact that you have taken the time to provide the hotel with a detailed overview as to what transpired during your stay. We were ecstatic to receive your compliments and without doubt, we have commended the STAFF for their exemplary service

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations, therefore your comments are much appreciated and truly invaluable to us.
It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to it’s best.
The Fire & Ice! TEAM

Been to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch? Share your experiences!