“Terrible service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Whitely Street | Melrose Arch Precinct, Johannesburg 2076, South Africa   |
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
New York City, New York
“Terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

The hotel was new & in a desirable location. The room was very modern & clean.
There was a lovely pool area but.......
Problem with this place. Customer Service, non existent. For example, there were 3 laptops for guest use. The lamp near the laptop I was trying to use, was out. I spoke with at least three different employees & they all smiled & walked away & did nothing.
One of the laptops was locked. We tried to get assistance from an employee. Once again, a smile & no one even tries to help or get help.
They also have a lounge & bar area with music that is very nice & popular.
Also, watch your luggage. A couple that was on the tour with us did not have their luggage delivered to their room. It took a few hours but it was located in an empty room.
The staff needs training in customer service. Protea is a chain hotel & they should know better.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not on the first floor. Otherwise, you will hear the music from the lounge.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
We are in receipt of your Comment on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, thus assisting us in continually improving our standards.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointment you experienced due to our lack of Customer Service. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our hotel TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

We appreciate your bringing the shortcomings and problems you experienced to our attention and the constructive way in which this was done. We can assure you that your comments have been taken to heart and addressed with the people concerned, and that corrective action has been taken.
We continually strive to deliver excellent GUEST service and ongoing training will be done with all of our STAFF to address these matters.

Regards,
Fire & Ice! TEAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Very unique hotel.
It shows it is a 3* hotel but actually it can be rated 4*.
Very clean and very very unique in his style from 70/80's movies !
All black white and silver interiors, the particular forniture and interior design makes you feel spaced out !
The hotel is very cleen, staff is very friendly and helpfull.
Nice location, right next to lots of shops and caffees.
Free wifi everywhere.
Nice bar and lovely food.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thank you for your words of appreciation on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch and to hearing from you again!

Best regards,
gatorRN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

The hotel is beautiful. Located inside a gated community. It's nice but the people at the front desk are to lazy to help. I asked for a map and they gave me one for inside the gated community. I asked for one for outside and they gave me a book to look through a find the map I wanted and they would photo copy it for me. I couldn't leave the desk with the book. The book was huge so I asked someone to help me find the map of where I was and they said they didn't know. No one would help. They gave me the name of the travel manager who would be in at 0800 the next day. I found her and she was of little help. I could have figured everything out myself if I had had internet but it is not free. I asked is they could help me figure out how far away a restaurant was and they told me that it was too difficult. I was so frustrated so I just asked for a taxi to dinner. They wanted me to use their car company (Lux Express) and wanted to charge 160 rand for a 5 kilometer ride. I asked them to call a metered taxi and they wouldn't. We ended up using their car service to the restaurant and then returned with a metered taxi that charged 93 rand. We saved that persons business card and called him the rest of our trip. On top of being rude, refusing to call a taxi, our sheets were stained. I rarely write a negative review but this hotel and its staff were the worst part of our 3 week vacation. They acted like they were better than everyone else. They discouraged any activity we wanted beyond the gates. They told us SOWETO was an hour away. It was 25 minutes. They wanted to charge 550 rand each way to get there. (We paid 300). Find a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear Valued GUEST,

With reference to your recent comment on Trip Advisor. On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, we would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback. Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us.

We can assure you that this matter has been investigated and that our TEAM has taken the appropriate action to rectify the shortcomings in our service.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service. Your comments have reached the attention of all involved and have assisted us in creating a commitment to ensure that situations such as these do not arise in the future.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was most impressed with this stunning hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful and management are seriously incerdible. The hotel is in the most prefect location with shops and restaurants at your door-step. There is a great vibe in the hotel and the decor adds to all of this. The breakfast was delicious with a wide variety of choices and the waiters and waitresses are very attentive. You can tell that the hotel is run by a fantastic manager as this infiltrates from the top down! Well done Protea Hotels! Did i mention the MOST delicious milkshakes?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Adviosorand for sharing your additional positive feedback after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We are delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of the Food & Beverage TEAM in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch again soon.

Regards,
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

First....the people working at the front desk are not that bright. Don't try and work-out at their gym, because it doesn't exist. However, they'll tell you they parter with the Virgin gym down the block. What they don't tell you is that they charge R 150 per person, per day to work out. Also, the front desk told us they have "something special for us to celebrate our honeymoon." Yeah....that gift or service never presented itself.

On the service topic, the people working in the bar area either don't speak English or just don't care. I'm still waiting for my voucher for the Internet (not free for guests), and never did get the football game I asked for on tv.

Overall, there is a pretentious attitude that I'd expect from some swank hotel in Los Angeles, but not in South Africa. Maybe I'm just getting old and club-type hotels have passed me by. Either way, this hotel is for the Ed Hardy crowd.

Dean

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
We refer to the GUEST comment that you posted on Trip Advisor, after your stay with us. We wish to assure you that your feedback about your service experience at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch is viewed in a serious light.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay. Your experience of the service delivery overall most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your concerns have been addressed and that corrective action is being taken to rectify the shortcomings.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us.

Yours sincerely,
Washington, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by the boutique feel of this hotel when we arrived as part of a tour package. Everything, from the lobby to the restaurant to the room, appeared ultramodern in its black and white theme. Some of the Hollywood photos can be a bit tacky but it certainly didn't detract from our experience. In terms of the restaurant/bar, the Aero milkshake we got from the bar was probably the best milkshake we've ever had; but the breakfast buffet food wasn't quite up to the par with everything else at the hotel. Overall, an excellent stay and we would definitely come back next time we're in Johannesburg/Sandton.

Room Tip: Get something above the 1st floor as rooms on that floor are next to the lounge (can be loud) and th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Myself and 2 other colleagues stayed here for business for a week. The first thing you notice is the very cool decor, great colours, fireplaces, unique furniture pieces. Checking in, we were given a cup of hot chocolate on arrival - perfect for a cold morning and more original than juice!

The rooms were fine and again, the decor was fantastic. Spotlessly clean, if a little small. Not a fan of the shower being so open in the room, but OK.

We had a few meals and drinks in the restaurant which were very good. Milkshake Bar - what a brilliant concept!!

The only issue I had was that on checking in, they gave me the key to someone else's room! Needless to say, he was not happy to see me. I also had to really slam the door shut behind me for it to lock.

Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for your words of appreciation regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the Food & Beverage Department for their excellent service

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities

Please accept our sincere apologies for the embarrasment that was caused to you upon walking into an occupied room. Your experience of the service delivery overall most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch is usually proud to offer. I can confirm that this matter has been addressed and that corrective action has been taken prevent it from re-occuring.

Kind Regards,
Fire & Ice TEAM.

Been to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch? Share your experiences!