“Very friendly Owners” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Lakeview Backpackers to your Saves list
Lakeview Backpackers
Lakeview Backpackers
39 Porto Amelia Road | Bonaero Park 1622, Kempton Park, Johannesburg, South Africa   |
London, United Kingdom
“Very friendly Owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here on my way over to Mozambique as a solo traveller. I met a very welcoming couple who had just taken over the place. They were informative, helpful and friendly. Even ended up enjoying beers and a meal with them and two others who were staying at the hostel in the evening.
It is also possible for them to help you with airport pickups and bus station drop offs.
Finally it is close to the shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

The owner, Romel is a character and there is no doubt that she makes you feel extremely welcomed into her home and to SA.

The property itself is average and a little jaded, though I believe they are in the midst of doing works to the property. The amenities however are good; the kitchen has ample space for people staying to cook and all the basic equipment needed for self caterers. The sitting room area has a large TV, plenty of movies, board games and books and feels very relaxed and the pool is set in a lovely back garden.

The wifi wasn't working when I stayed so I was informed I was able to use a laptop, however I wasn't particularly happy that I was charged for this when leaving. I wouldn't have minded so much if I was made aware of this beforehand but to spring it on me via the bill wasn't particularly welcomed. This unfortunately also happened with the pick up from the airport. When arriving I phoned as instructed and was told someone would collect me but no fee was mentioned and when booking it had stated that it was included. I illustrated my frustrations with this and Ronel agreed to only charge a one way fee rather than return but it nonetheless left me with an unpleasant feeling.

All in all a lovely stay, it was just such a shame about the ending as until that point I had thoroughly enjoyed it and had felt extremely well looked after.

• Stayed December 2012
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed at many different types of lodging in my world travels and I can say without reservation that this place is the most memorable. I had not planned to stay in Jo'berg but was traveling with a standby ticket for a flight to Atlanta leaving once a day...I ended up staying there 4 nights. Ronel and Cornelius were so helpful and patient, it was truly amazing be the beneficiary of such generosity. I felt like I was visiting old friends in their warm and friendly home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Close to the airport, friendly and very helpful, and close to shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This place is definitely in my top 5 Hostels in the last 11 month of traveling. Ronel runs that place in such a nice way, that you feel immediatley at home when she starts to show you arround and talk to you! Her place is very close to the airport and when i needed a lift to somewhere, she took me there or found another way to help me. When i´m coming back to Jo´burg, that will be the one and only pick i would make! Clean rooms, nice common area and everything you need!
Furthermore it´s close to a to a casino and a shoppingmall, where you can spend some time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stay at Lakeview backpackers for two days of my stay in Jo'burg before and after my safari started. When I arrived at the train station, Ronel and her mother picked me up in the car and took me to the hostel. They have a very large house just outside Jo'burg that they have converted into a beautiful backpacker home. They have five dogs that were lovely and inviting. As I settled in, we ordered pizzas and had a fab time. Next morning Ronel booked me into a day tour of Jo'burg and I went to the few most important landmarks of the city. Next morning I was off to Kruger with Nomad tours and Ronel graciously drove me to the pick up point. Coming back from Kruger, she also arranged a pick up from our drop off point and took another people on my trip into the backpackers as well. She was amazing through and through. Thanks for everything Ronel! Felt completely at home! All the best from UK, Tee :-) xx

Room Tip: All of the rooms are always clean and the people their are friendly. Just learn how to work the show...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed here for the last two days of our trip to Southern Africa and even though it is a little bit out of town (but very close to the airport) the Lakeview Backpackers is a lovely and familial place. The owner is a friendly and very helpful young lady who even drove us to the nearby supermarket. In the living room you find a big and comfortable sofa, a big TV...a great place to relax! Internet is also free. Absolutely recommandable!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lakeview Backpackers? Share your experiences!