“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Northcliff Manor Guest House

Save Saved
You added Northcliff Manor Guest House to your Saves list
Northcliff Manor Guest House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7 Hearn Drive | Northcliff, Johannesburg 2195, South Africa   |
Ranked #18 of 232 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the guest house for 3 days and it was wonderful! The room was big, a nice bed and a great breakfast, including fruits, toasts, etc.
All the staff was very kind and pretty helpful with tours and tips about Johannesburg.
The "animal" staff (four lovely dogs) added a special touch to the hotel, being all very sociable and available for petting.
Overall, I strongly recommend it and when I go back to Johannesburg I would most likely stay there again

• Stayed February 2013

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were received by an extremely friendly Ilse. The room we occupied is brilliantly furnished with superb decor. The Manor itself is out of this world with an extremely relaxing ambience. All facilities are accessible with an extremely tranquil garden and pool. There is a well stocked mini bar and plenty of information wrt places to eat and visit. The breakfast is excellent. We were treated like royalty for the duration of our stay. This is a remarkable and professionally run venue and we will certainly be back. Ilse even packed in some padkos for us!! Bravo zulu to Ilse and Johnny.

Room Tip: See if the matress is of your liking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberwil, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Having just come back from a 1 month trip to South Africa, I rush to tell about this wonderful nobel place. This was our first place to stay in SA and it was a very warm welcome to the country. Ilse received us as houseguests and took care of us in all ways. Since we had not rented a car, she took us to Cresta where she showed us the best places to eat. She even offered to fetch us at the restaurant after dinner.
We stayed in Room 3, which was beautifully decorated with antic furnitures and Ilse's paintings.
The ensuite bathroom was spacious with a shower for at least two people to share..... and flowers and leaves from their beautiful garden decorated the room. The breakfast was delicious with lots of fruits and other goodies.
But it is essential to have a car, when staying at Northcliff Manor. The taxis are unreliable (you waste a lot of time waiting for them to come) and the guesthouse is located in a residential area with no public transportation. I cannot think of one single negativ point. Everything was perfect. We warmly recommend this lovely guesthouse

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This happened a year ago in 2011, but I still feel so angry about it that I wanted to write this review.

My husband and I wanted to spend the evening of our wedding at a beautiful guest house as we got married in our local church on an extremely tight budget. Everything was fine at first, we got upgraded to the honeymoon suite, received good service and the guest house is beautiful with a great view.

After a quick breakfast the next morning when we checked out and wanted to pay for the mini bar, I realised that all the cash and vouchers we received as wedding gifts (that was given generously by friends and family very specifically to help finance our short honeymoon) were missing from my handbag, as well as cash from my wallet - (about R9,000 in total) and it was taken from our bedroom during the half-hour we had breakfast.

We were the only guests there that night, apart from the three staff members on the property - the owner wasn't there during our stay. We asked the owners' daughter to come investigate the theft; but she refused to search the staff members for the money, saying she's known them all her life and it won't be them. We ended up having to leave without time to phone the police, in order not to miss our flights. Even a year later, I have been too embarrassed to tell my friends that their generous gifts were stolen and we had to go on honeymoon with very little money.

This experience tainted a beautiful memory of our wedding day, and resulted in an extremely great loss for us financially. I was also very disappointed in how the situation was handled. Don't stay there if you value your belongings.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
northcliffmanor, Daughter of owners. at Northcliff Manor Guest House, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
As a guesthouse, Northcliff Manor takes great pride in providing guests with a serene and most especially safe environment. I as daughter of the owners, was standing in for them as they were out of town that weekend of 26 August 2011. While I regret that the incident you refer to has left you with a disagreeable memory of your honeymoon, I’d like to respond to your review with my account of the events as they occurred.

During your stay we tried our very best to accommodate you and your wedding party and make the occasion a pleasant one for you. We upgraded you ( to the value of R400.00 ) free of charge to our honeymoon suite with complementary champagne and additional extras to ensure that you had a romantic stay for the night of your wedding.

The morning of 27 August 2011, I was called in by our housekeeper who stated that you had rudely accused her of theft. I, along with my husband, arrived as soon as I could to see whether we could assist. Your husband was very ill and unable/unwilling to be involved with the discussion or assist in ascertaining the whereabouts of your misplaced belongings. During the discussion, you were uncertain regarding the amount of money and vouchers and where you believed it was last stored. I assisted you personally in a search of the rooms, the grounds, and your car.

Your request that I conduct a body search of my staff in your presence was declined. Not, as you write in your review, because they are long-standing staff members who I insisted are beyond reproach, but rather because it is unlawful and because a search should only be conducted by the police. Incidentally, the staff did indicate their willingness for the police to be called to conduct a search of themselves and the premises. There were only two members of housekeeping staff employed on the morning you refer to. Our housekeeper, who cooked the breakfast for you, and her assistant, who was serving you. Therefore all members of the housekeeping staff were attending to you during the breakfast when you allege that your belongings went missing.

As per your review, my suggestion that we involve the police in order to conduct a search of the persons present and the premises was declined. In no way did I try to prevent you reporting the matter or persuade you otherwise. You did not call the police which perhaps indicates a level of doubt in your own mind as to where or how the money went missing. After all, weddings are frenzied affairs and your belongings may have gone missing elsewhere.

Additionally, there are safes in every room specifically to ensure the safe keeping of valuable items.The key of the room-safe is on the same bunch as your Room key and Remote. We also have a large safe in the office which guests are allowed to use by request for items too large for the room safes. Neither of these was used by you.

There have been no other such allegations before or after your stay. It is difficult to face an unsubstantiated accusation a year and three months after the event, with little that can be done to remedy it. Again, while I regret that the incident sits disagreeably with you, I believe that it was handled as well as could be given the circumstances.
Yours sincerely,
Jana Morgan.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Wished this was my home away from home as this glorious house with seemingly a zillion art pieces and paintings to induldge in whilst the fantastic service and rooms are enjoyed, is truly a remarkable place to stay. Ilse and Johnny are the quintessential hosts with a brilliant team working behind the scenes. Loved it a year ago, and loved it now. Attention to detail in this exquisitely restored grand old home is remarkable and happy memories will remain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

That was my first trip in SA and I did not know what to expect. I have cosed spending 3 three days just by curiosity, coming from family visit in Burundi. I was so much surprised by the beauty of the country, how people are nice, the guest house was so beautiful, origina, a quiet place as I was searching for on line not knowing that quality of service...i wish I had few more days. Next time, I will not hesitate to go back at the same place. I was satisfaide by the whole thing, from airport at my arrival, how the Gust House owner accomadated me in my needs, the breakfast, to my going back at the airport. Thank you very much team, my pleasure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hinterdorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Everything was really perfect, nice room, wonderful breakfast and beautiful placed in a quiet environment. The owners are very helpful and friendly people. Next time in Johannesburg I will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Northcliff Manor Guest House? Share your experiences!