“returned and will do so again.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Northcliff Manor Guest House

Save Saved
You added Northcliff Manor Guest House to your Saves list
Northcliff Manor Guest House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7 Hearn Drive | Northcliff, Johannesburg 2195, South Africa   |
Ranked #16 of 234 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“returned and will do so again.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Wished this was my home away from home as this glorious house with seemingly a zillion art pieces and paintings to induldge in whilst the fantastic service and rooms are enjoyed, is truly a remarkable place to stay. Ilse and Johnny are the quintessential hosts with a brilliant team working behind the scenes. Loved it a year ago, and loved it now. Attention to detail in this exquisitely restored grand old home is remarkable and happy memories will remain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

That was my first trip in SA and I did not know what to expect. I have cosed spending 3 three days just by curiosity, coming from family visit in Burundi. I was so much surprised by the beauty of the country, how people are nice, the guest house was so beautiful, origina, a quiet place as I was searching for on line not knowing that quality of service...i wish I had few more days. Next time, I will not hesitate to go back at the same place. I was satisfaide by the whole thing, from airport at my arrival, how the Gust House owner accomadated me in my needs, the breakfast, to my going back at the airport. Thank you very much team, my pleasure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hinterdorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Everything was really perfect, nice room, wonderful breakfast and beautiful placed in a quiet environment. The owners are very helpful and friendly people. Next time in Johannesburg I will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

We had a one night stopover in Johannesburg for the last night of our honeymoon before our flight home and a friend suggested Northcliff Manor.

The house itself is really interesting (as detailed in previous reviews), with a fine selection of artwork, and the grounds are lovely. We were in the honeymoon suite which was enormous, with a separate living room with spectacular views across Johannesburg - we thought this was very good value. Some of the bathroom fittings were slightly worn, but this in no way detracted from the charm of the place. We found Johnny and Ilse (and their dogs!) to be very warm, friendly hosts.

Breakfast was incredible - we couldn't believe that the vast selection of cereals, bread, muffins, yoghurt and fruit etc had been laid on just for us. This was then followed by a superb full English (with Thai basil in the mushrooms which I loved).

We enjoyed our time at Northcliff Manor and would not hesitate to stay again when next in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
Tbilisi, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I spent several days here on either end of our honeymoon trip and enjoyed it thoroughly. The house itself is reason enough to stay - absolutely stunning decor inside, vibrant and full of history (a home built for an anti-apartheid legend), and lush and tropical gardens outside. Johnny was a charming host and kind enough to write and offer to make arrangements for a coat we left behind. The guest house is in an extremely elegant part of Jo'burg and we felt safe and comfortable. We will be recommending it to our friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bedroom 1 in the tower, which was fabulous. We enjoyed the lounge overlooking the gard...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Gaborone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the guest house. It not only provide comfortable surroundings but the view and the scenary is excellent. What is more pleasing is the personal attention that Ilze and her husband Jonnie give to their guests. My wife had gone for an eye review at a nearby Eye Clinic and we also needed to do a bit of shopping. We were given VIP treatment as we were shuttled for free between the Guest House, the clinic and the shopping centre for both days and that was done with a smile. Add to that the breakfast treat - you feel like you are in paradise. I have stayed in many other places in the Johannesburg area but this is my hotel of choice.
Rodgers

Room Tip: Go for Gold
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Thank you Johnny and Ilze for the warm welcome and accomm odation at North Cliff Guest House!
We were treated like in a 5* Hotel! Your house, rooms, decor is out of this world. Definitely something to experience.

You are a wonderful couple, and will see you again.

Thank you for your hospitality!

Karel and Elize Jankowitz (ecj@telkomsa.net )

Room Tip: Gold room great in winter time.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Northcliff Manor Guest House? Share your experiences!