“The new kid on the block amongst Johannesburg's hotels” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CNR Tyrwhitt & Sturdee Avenues | Rosebank, Johannesburg 2132, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #29 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Gennes, France
“The new kid on the block amongst Johannesburg's hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was my second stay at this property. On the first occasion, my reservation could not be found and I had to argue for 30 minutes to get a room as thehotel was fully booked. This time, the king size non-smoking room i had reserved was given to me as a twin-bedded smoking accomodation. Again, some argueing was required and I ended up getting what I had reserved. The hotel lobby is rather spectacular and looks more like a fancy, trendy and hip night club located in Miami or Marbella rather than a business hotel in boring Johannesburg. The modern and designer look and feel can be found across the hotel and into the rooms. The rooms are compact but well appointed with great quality beds and linen. The bathrooms are more of a question of taste, also compact with standing wet room only and no bath tub. The soundproofing is OK and the air conditionning rather on the intense side but after a while, you can get your way at operating the temperature control. Breakfast is an horrendous affair when the hotel is full as the staff is very friendly but totally inefficient. But i have to admit that the food on offer is of very good quality and appealiing. Good cocktails and drinks are offered in the evening when the whole place seems to be getting alive. The transportation desk is very much a hit and miss affair and some of the clercks on attendance clearly do not know what they are doing. So be carefull and double check your trip request before you embark on a journey. Plenty of nice shopping and restaurants is avaiable in the large shopping mall nearby which is a safe walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Management at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg.

Our sincere apologies for the confusion around your room requirements on arrival. We will investigate from our side why the King Size Non Smoking room was not made available to you on arrival.

Furthermore, we appreciate your constructive feedback on the service provided during your stay with us and will certainly discuss this with the relevant departments. Your input will most definitely be used in our ongoing training and service improvement programs at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon at our hotel during your next visit to Johannesburg.

At your service,

Josef Schmid - General Manager
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lancs, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

After checking in then checking straight out of a truly dreadful hotel in Sandton we were relieved to be able to make a quick online booking with opodo for this hotel. Although I handed over my opodo booking which clearly stated I had pre paid for the room she asked for full payment. I explained it had been paid for and gave her the benefit of the douibt as we had literally just made the booking so I guessed that any paperwork showing payment details must not have come through yet at their side of the reception desk. We were allowed to go to our room then at 22.30 I received a call asking me to go downstairs and pay?? My partner & I went down and repeated all this again & were introduced to the reservations manager Candice who tried to make me pay again and said the exchange rate would mean that it would cost more than the GBP price I'd been quoted. I told her this was not a quote & that I had paid. We left it at that & 2 days later I was asked again to pay. At this stage I was beginning to feel harrassed & dreaded walking past reception. I had to phone overseas to opodo and get them to explain to a member of staff that I had already paid for my room in full. Would you believe that when we checked out they asked me again to pay??!! When I complained the excuse given was that they had never used Opodo before. That's not a good enough reason for me as surely my booking invoice and a call from the agent should have given them sufficient information. There is clearly a training need here so I hope the hotel manager is reading this as I am not the only person who has been asked to pay twice.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, Management at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the feedback provided on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused around your booking and payment status upon arrival at our hotel.

It clearly showed our reception team was not familiar with the terms and conditions of your booking through Opodo. Of course, we realise that this is unacceptable and have therefore addressed this issue with all relevant stakeholders within the hotel and initiated training for the team to avoid these embarrassing situations in the future.

Thank you for assisting us improving our core processes at our hotel. Your input is much appreciated.

We sincerely hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Josef Schmid • General Manager • Crowne Plaza Johannesburg – The Roseba
johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

I won 2 accommodation vouchers at this hotel in august 2009 and I recently booked to use them. When I arrived the duty manager Thabi Mabille told me that the GM Joseph Schmid will NOT accept the vouchers. I was basically kicked out in a manner of speaking. Who would want to stay at a place that treats you like that, I had to drive back a 100km....

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Hotel_Management2010, Management at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Dear sir,

Thank you for your frank and direct feedback.

This unfortunate incident is most regrettable and the fault is indeed entirely mine: The vouchers were erroneously printed without validity dates and without applicable terms & conditions and in addition I had been misinformed about the validity of the voucher.

These grave oversights lead to the inexcusable experience you and your family encounter at our fine hotel.

I appreciate that you have accepted our apology when we spoke over the phone and have chosen to give our fine hotel another chance to welcome you and your family – Crowne Plaza Style.

I am well aware that our humble apologies does in no way undo the embarrassing experience you and your family were exposed to - but we sincerely hope that we will be able redeem our good name.

At your service,

Josef Schmid • General Manager • Crowne Plaza Johannesburg – The Rosebank
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

I stayed in the newly rennovated Crown Plaza THE ROSEBANK. It is quite stylish and has a good location. Rooms are cool and nice. Great gym with top equipment.
But this is just not a good hotel for business travelers. Check-in took ages because the staff always handled other business in between. Also at day of departure big issues with getting the right invoice made check out a 20 minute adventure
Internet connection is only accessible on a per minute basis and not by data volume which makes it very expensive (about 1 Rand = 0,10 Euro per minute)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Your feedback on your experience upon check in and check out is certainly not reflective of the levels of service and product standards we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel. I would therefore like to confirm that your comments have been passed on to the appropriate department and corrective action has been taken to ensure that this is not a repeating occurrence. Additionally, a new Crowne Plaza training initiative called "I arrive" will be implemented in order to readdress our core front office processes.

Guest feedback forms a vital part of our business and the input we receive from our guests is imperative for us to ensure that your expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know whether you leave our establishment completely satisfied, but more importantly, leave disappointed and dissatisfied!

Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Josef Schmid • General Manager • Crowne Plaza Johannesburg – The Rosebank
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Expensive for what it was. Room we stayed in wasnt cleaned too often. Items went missing from our luggage that was left closed in room. Bar was expensive but snazzy. Wireless internet was near impossible to set up. Staff urged folks accessing internet to have drinks--and didnt mention these were menu items [as in "would you care for something to drink? Tea or water?" and then whammo! bill] Good lcoation though. and they had only recently opened when we visited so perhaps it has improved.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

I booked this hotel through hotels.com and prepaid for it but they had no record of my booking. Despite showing them confirmation from the booking agent, the hotel demanded I pay again for the accomadation and claimed it was not their problem. After some argument they resolved the problem. Unecessary stress when one is travelling on business.
Room clean but average - light came through the room door from the passage so it was never dark. Clock alarm went off at midnight.
On a positive note, the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
TheDazzle001, Director Sales and Marketing at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, December 1, 2009
We would like to thank you for giving your feedback regarding the recent use of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for any discomfort caused. We would like to assure you that the neccessary investigation and corrective action has been taken to ensure that this does not recur. We make use of all our guest feedback constructively and value all feedback received.

On a positive note, we are pleased that our beds are providing the expected comfort standards to our guests.
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

The good:
Excellent location in Rosebank, newly renovated rooms with nice decoration (some are better than others), small but nice bathrooms. Very quiet rooms. Good and quiet A/C. Friendly service. Good breakfast buffet and dinner.

The not so good:
Internet access is very slow (less than 500 kbs dowload), and the options available are pricey. There's no 24 h option. They were still under renovation in the South Tower (as of Oct 2009) and the hallways on some of the floors looked tired. (Ask for a room in the North Tower, or in a fully renovated floor in the South Tower)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank? Share your experiences!