“Nice location, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

You added Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CNR Tyrwhitt & Sturdee Avenues | Rosebank, Johannesburg 2132, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice location, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I stay at this hotel, this year. The hotel is good, well located, very close to the Rosebank mall (02 blocks). The food at the hotel's restaurants are good and breakfast is very nice. The staff is quite friendly, you may notice that they need some training. However, I have the impression they are there really trying to do their best. A few comments related to fail in towels and amenities replacements. But ok. The spa located by the swimming pool is very good and if you have the time, don't miss their massage. Is really worth it! Internet is free for guests in the first hour. You may consider buying one of their daily packages for this service. As I said, this was my second time here at this hotel. I would certainly return for the third time.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear "liafl",

Greetings from Rosebank!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow trip advisor users. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the hospitality on offer at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg as well as its surroundings. And thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement when it comes to the replenishment of towels and bathroom amenities. I will discuss this with the housekeeping team.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Allan Clingham - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hi, stayed in Crown plaza rosebank for last week of October. Was fine but a couple of things could have been better. I was a business traveler on the same weekend that. Barcelona played Real Madrid, naturally for a football fan I wanted to watch it in the bar. Sadly there was a birthday party on at the same time which meant I was unable to concentrate fully on the match due to the noise. There was no residents bar available. This party also meant that the level of customer service displayed towards regular non party customers was very poor. Bizarre that you had to wait so long whilst sitting at the bar for a drink, to me it felt like sheer ignorance and happened more than once during my stay. (Too long to be served at the bar for drink) Rooms were nice, beds were comfortable mad housekeeping very good. At the gym there was a note up to report to business centre' which I did, and asked for a towel as there were none in the gym. It never arrived which was frustrating and poor again seeing as it was not a busy time. I stayed for 9 nights all together, I'm back again in a weeks time and will try the Hyatt which is nearby. I found the fact that you had to pay for parking also pretty disappointing considering the room rate wasn't exactly cheap. Overall I would stay again, perhaps, but the poor customer service at the bar and the gym did make me slightly disappointed overall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear "Homersimpson33",

Thank you for your honest and detailed review! Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate you in the Circle Bar during the broadcast of your preferred Champions league game. The bar was indeed very busy due to a birthday party which lead to this unfortunate experience. I will discuss this with the team to see if we can find an alternative solution in case there will be a similar clash of calendars in future.

The service lapse experienced in our gym is unacceptable and having fresh towels available at all times is a minimum expectation we should meet at all times. I will ensure we address this issue accordingly.

We do hope you will visit us again in future and welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was there for the conference and stayed a full week. Location is great, close to the mall and plenty of restaurants if you get tired of hotel food. Speaking of which, food was great and I had room service every other day. Rooms are clean, bright, beds are comfy. Highly recommed for business stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear "KK_traveler2013",

The team and I are very pleased to hear we have been able to make your business visit to Johannesburg a comfortable one. Thank you for the detailed comments and recommendations. I will celebrate this with the team at the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was my worst business travel ever!!I move around due to the nature of my job.my stay at this hotel was horrible with open discrimination and poor customer service!! my room supplies were only replenished on the first day and I never saw any other supply again. had to reuse the same shower cap twice and when it was taken away it never got replaced!dont ask how my hair looked like :-(...shower gel and bathing soap were never replenished and I dreaded for the day my tissue rolls will run out!! :-( the towels that were replaced for my room from day two were old and torn and I have this in picture!!the ones that replaced this were also in the same condition!!!I the staff were impolite and didn't have a solution to any problem that you had including the ones caused by their laxity!! will never recommend this hotel

Room Tip: nothing good to write about..i don't know how you will choose a room that will be replenished wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear "406Jackie",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with further feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued.

Please accept my and my team's sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during the night of your event. Your detailed comments on the lack of replenishment of in room amenities is unacceptable and not of the standard you can expect. I have discussed your comments in detail with our Housekeeping team and evaluated this extensively.

We can fully understand your frustration and disappointment when experiencing service lapses and we sincerely regret that we have not been able to live up to our good name in making your function a splendid memorable event. I do believe the above compensation offered is significant in value and reiterates our commitment to resolving the matter.

However - I am unpleasantly surprised to read your comments around "open discrimination" and I feel this part of your review is very much out of place. The team and the Crowne Plaza is a true reflection of South African society and has got a diverse team of managers and operational team members. I can assure you that - not in any way - are they exposing our guests to discrimination of any kind or treat guests differently based on their race, gender or religion.

I can assure you, should you find the opportunity to return to South Africa and stay over at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy our very best care and attention.

Assuring you of my best intentions,

Yours sincerely

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Crowne Plaza in Johannesburg (Rosebank) is exactly what you expect from a Crowne Plaza. Rooms are a bit small by comparison to some Crowne Plazas but still comfortable and reasonably appointed. Actually, have you noticed that hotel rooms are always dark these days? One of the good points of this hotel is you can read a book in bed without a torch.
Another good point is the hotel has a good restaurant on the premises. The Butcher’s Block restaurant in the Crowne Plaza does good meat! If you want a large steak, cooked exactly as you ordered along with the standard assortment of veg, then look no further.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Paul B",

Thank you for the kind recommendations of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Glad to hear you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities at the hotel. Especially your kind comments on the Butcher Block will be shared with the team at the restaurant. I must admit our rooms are not the largest Crowne Plaza rooms you have every stayed in but are of a reasonable size for a inner city business hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Randburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Good facilities, friendly staff.

The team added some nice touches to make our stay special.

Close to Rosebank Mall.

Downstairs bar provides the option to change lighting color of your private booth.

Bathrooms a tad small.

Stayed October 2013
Dear "zhenn z",

Just a quick note to thank you for the great review! We appreciate the fact you have taken the time to share your recommendations with your fellow TripAdvisor readers.

Do make sure you come back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg soon!

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had to go to South Africa for visa business and it was 2 adults and 2 children. The hotel was very accommodating with the rooms and sleeping arrangements as well as making sure we had sufficient space for my husband to continue to work and my children to not feel trapped in a small room. The staff are extremely friendly and very trustworthy, and lets face it in South Africa this is something to be happy about. One morning I was one the phone walking out the breakfast restaurant and left my bag on the seat. Before I realized and got back downstairs the staff had locked it away and were on the phone to our room. The rooms are clean and quiet. The night we arrived was the end of their fashion week and although the reception area and circle bar was a hive of activity we could rest easily in peace and quiet in our room two floor directly above. It is located across the road from a police station but again not noisy and we were able to have some documents certified without getting a car. a block away is Netcare hospital and although we didn't need them it was great to know it was right there. a few blocks away is the Rosebank mall and The Zone but is currently under construction for a remodel so a little dusty. The hotel has a pool but we didnt use this facility. We did avail of the business centre and although its pricey for use of their pc, everything else was done for a small fee. It is clean and quiet as well. The hotel has a spa that needs a few day pre booking especially in summer which I found hard when you don't know what you are doing each day.

My only two suggestions for this hotel would be to have a after hours spa facility for those coming back from a busy day shopping in Sandton or Rosebank :-) and the second would be to have at least one children's channel for kids to watch while parents are getting ready each day and before bed at night. We resolved the second issue with ipads and youtube player but that gets old fast.

Room Tip: if you are travelling with children and need 2 rooms phone the hotel directly to ensure interleading...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear "Milkmonkey",

Greetings from the Crowne Plaza team!

It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at our hotel. And we are extremely pleased to hear that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Your detailed comments of the service received by the various team members is much appreciated and will be shared and celebrated. Thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement as well, which will be discussed with the management team.

Lastly, its great to hear you enjoyed the Rosebank area so much as we are convinced that many travellers to Johannesburg start to discover this exciting but centrally located area within our beloved city.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Allan Clingham - General Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank? Share your experiences!