“Crowne Plaza - Rosebank Johannesburg” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

You added Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CNR Tyrwhitt & Sturdee Avenues | Rosebank, Johannesburg 2132, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Crowne Plaza - Rosebank Johannesburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very good and hassle free checkin.The room was confortable with a King bed .This hotel is situated close to the Rosebank mall and The Zone of Rosebank.Fitting and furnishing all very modern.
Highly recommended for business and leisure .

Room Tip: Just check that the air con works on the heat setting for the cold nights.We had a faulty aircon so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Abduragiem I,

On behalf of everyone at the Crowne Plaza – The Rosebank, I thank you for your kind words, and wonderful feedback. Your comments are much appreciated.

My team is looking forward to sharing their hospitality with you again soon.

Allan Clingham –General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was shocked at the poor customer service by the desk staff at the Crowne Plaza. Arriving late in the evening the desk clerk was not very friendly. When i asked to cash a traveller's check he informed me they did not have enough cash on hand. Discussion with the maager revealed their policy is to NOT cash traveler checks at all. Upon asking for assistance to get to a bank they said they can't do that either. I guess I expect a little more from a global chain. Room was clean and nice, but with no door or curtain on the shower water was all over the bathroom floor. The shower head was in the ceiling (raining type) and not adjustable with the worse hot/cold consistently; it kept changing during the shower alternately freezing and burning me. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear FUT5,

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor Review.

Please allow me to apologize for the unfortunate and disappointing service experience from our front desk team members. The matter raised by your kind self could have been dealt with in a far more professional and effective manner. It is indeed our hotel's policy not to exchange travelers cheques and simply refer our guests to a nearby bank. Unfortunately, the banks in South Africa where no longer open at the specific time of day, there was no opportunity for you to exchange your cheques. But this message should have been communicated to you with a bit more care and sensitivity. We have discussed this matter during the team briefing and I can assure you we take your feedback seriously.

Lastly, I have passed on your comments on our shower facilities to our maintenance team in order to see if we can potentially offer different types of showers besides the rain showers currently in place. We sincerely hope that the service incident will not deter you from using the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank in the future.

Solingen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

A short walk from Rosebank Gautrain station and the Rosebank shopping center - great location. The Hotel give a great value for money and is my 1st choice when staying in Johannesburg. I stayed there many times over the last couple of years. As in any hotel sometimes something can go wrong but they always react quickly and solve it to the customers satisfaction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Arnd L,

Thank you for providing us with your all-round great feedback. We are proud to have you as one of our valued guests. I have shared all your great comments with my team.
We look forward to welcome you back soon to our stylish hotel very soon.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a lovely stay here up until I checked out of the place. I was running late for my international flight back to the states and had to leave quickly. As with any other international hotel chain, I assumed the front desk would process my payment using the credit card I checked in with. Unfortunately, my card was not going through - the bank had put a fraud hold on my card. The hotel called me 6 times in a row while I was rushing to the airport and trying to get through security. When I spoke to them, they were beyond rude and threatening. I told them they needed to call the bank and they said they could not and that I needed to call the bank. I was not able to resolve it before getting on the plane. When I landed in New York, I had 8 voicemails from the hotel - one from a supervisor and 8 others - and two beyond inappropriate text messages. The text messages were begging me "in the name of God" to resolve my account and that I must contact the hotel because everyone thinks I am "running" now. It was absolutely the most inappropriate, rude and abusive customer service I've ever experienced. When I contacted the bank, they lifted the fraud hold and guess what -- the charges went through. Surprise, surprise.

It was the most aggressive, abusive and simply rude conduct I've ever experienced from a hotel and it is beyond unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear "Gregory Z",

On behalf of the General Manager of the Crown Plaza, Johannesburg – The Rosebank and his team, we would like to thank you for your TripAdvisor review. Even though we are happy to hear you actually enjoyed your stay with us, we regret to hear your comments on the payment issues experienced upon check in and check out.

The Rooms Division Manager and Front Office Manager brought the incident described in your review to my attention. As per our internal protocol, we require payment or credit card authorization upon check in, which is a common practice in our industry. As mentioned by your kind self, your credit card declined upon check in, caused by the fraud hold activated by your bank. Considering the fact you are a valued IHG Priority Club member, our receptionist offered for you to proceed to your room in order for you to contact your bank and resolve the matter. You indicted you would get back to the front desk with an update accordingly. Regrettably, our front desk had not been contacted with a resolution after check in nor were they notified upon check out on the status and method of payment, which lead to the front desk team urgently trying to get in contact with you.

The fact that you did not return to the front desk the day of check in and left the hotel without approaching the front desk to resolve the matter, let to the perception that you did not have the intention to pay for your stay, hence the urgent follow up from the front desk team. We do sincerely hope you can understand the position the front desk team had been put in, without any further information or clarity available to them, which lead to the unfortunate situation. Clearly, we do apologize if the follow up approach has been to aggressive and I can assure you this will most certainly be discussed and evaluated with the team members involved. Its never been our intention to damage or disrupt your guest experience in such a negative manner. We checked our records today, but have not yet received the payment for your stay as you had mentioned in your review. We will verify our account again tomorrow and confirm once it has been received.

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused and I would happily assist you if you require any further clarity on the matter or would like to bring any other details to my attention.

We sincerely hope that this incident will not deter you from using the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel because all other hotels is Sandston were overbooked . This hotel is near to Rosebank Gautrain station .... cross the Rosebank mall and walk 2 blocks.. u=you reach the hotel. The hotel lobby is magnificent... The rooms are small as compared to other priority club hotels nearby... The service is good and staff is courteous. I will definitely recommend this hotel for staying in Rosebank

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear yogeshgarg2k,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your great comments with the Tripadvisor folks.

I am delighted to receive your commendations on your experience at our hotel and to hear that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality.

We hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Kathleen Hedges- Guest Relations Manager
Toulouse, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed here again on business for 5 nights. Rooms are good and I slept okay most nights. The room had a decent desk/work area but the choice of 'universal' sockets didn't suit my European 2-pin charger. Was okay for other stuff though. Got a turndown 1 night but not the others - no idea why. Breakfast was included in my rate. Great selection of cold and hot options with fresh coffee, justice etc. Very helpful and friendly staff who definitely make this place welcoming.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Ukstupes,
Thank you for your frank comments and general positive feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am however disappointed to hear that you did not receive consistent turndown during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have asked our executive housekeeper to investigate this and ensure that it does not happen again.

Glad to hear you enjoyed staying in the Rosebank area while being hosted by the Crowne Plaza team. We are looking forward to welcoming you and our business associates back again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at Crowne Plaza The Rosebank for 5 days on a business trip. The hotel has done so much to give guests a comfortable business stay. The staff are friendly and the settings are clean, modern and designed for utmost guest enjoyment. I will certainly use them again and recommend business travellers.

• Stayed May 2013
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Agrippa M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable thoughts with us. We really appreciate your constructive feedback and all the great compliments. We are thrilled that our team was able to provide you with seamless service during your stay at our hotel. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank? Share your experiences!