“South African Hospitality plus!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bob's Bunk House to your Saves list
Bob's Bunk House
40 St Anne Road | Hurlyvale Edenvale, Johannesburg 1610, South Africa   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“South African Hospitality plus!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Bob & Joan Beggs host their guests as if they are a favorite Uncle and Aunt. The accommodation itself is comfortable, nicely appointed, clean and attractive. The breakfast/dining room is open to the court yard with a beautiful in-ground pool landscaped with Joan's lovely rose bushes and other blossoming beauties. Bob offers a small bar on the premises and his company for a chat every evening. Since they are located relatively close to the airport, they offer pick-up and delivery service to and from the airport for guests. There is a car park behind the iron-grate fence for safe parking for guest's cars. Joan provides a breakfast every morning of toast, butter, jam and a fresh fruit -- and coffee and tea are available 24/7 for the making. There is an adquate kitchen and fridge space for those wishing to cook their own for dinners or lunch. Bob can arrange all sorts of reasonable tour days for guests looking for such services. We personally took the day tour of Joburg, Soweto, and the Aparthied Museum with Jabu as our driver and narrator/host; it was a most enjoyable day and reasonably priced. Bob's also features free wifi and television is available in the comfy living room. Our son and his friend, Abbie had stayed at Bob's just the year before and had been so impressed that he booked it for all of us as we joined him for his second trip to South Africa. So the three of us ( a Mom, a Dad, an Adult Son) stayed in three of the bunk beds in one of the dorm rooms. During our stay, we had that dorm room to ourselves even though there was one other bunk available in the dorm. Our dorm was closest to the bathroom and showers. We totally enjoyed the other guests during our stay, despite the fact that my husband and I were undoubtedly the oldest of the guests staying there. I believe we stayed at Bob's for a total of five nights as we explored all the surrounding areas of interest including visiting Pretoria.

Room Tip: Pros and Cons of the two bunk rooms we know of: Ours was closest to the bathrooms, which is conveni...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place is comfortable, clean, inexpensive, friendly, laid-back and basically everything you could want in a hostel. However, it's not a party place at all and can be quite quiet but the owners are always around for a good chat and it's very close to the airport (just about a 10 minute drive - and the owners will pick you up if your flight arrives between 7am - 7pm). There are some places to eat about 5 minutes walk down the road and the owners can call a reliable taxi to take you anywhere you want to go.

There's not much to do in the immediate area but I chose the place for its convenient location near the airport and it didn't disappoint. I would stay here any time I'm in Joburg.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wellesley, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was shocked and dismayed at our experience at this backpackers. I made a booking for my boyfriend and I to share a double room, and for our colleage to stay in the dorm. No questions were asked, but when we drove in, the owner immediately said we couldn't stay there because our colleague was black and the other people staying in the dorm were white females. It was not an issue of gender, as their dorms are mixed, or of nationality because she didn't know where he was from, but of race. I am disgusted that a backpackers, which should encourage diversity, would be so racist.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
39Design, Owner at Bob's Bunk House, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
All of us at Bob’s Bunk House are quite shocked to be called racist and feel disappointed that in 14 years of being in business and having hosted thousands of guests of every colour and religion from all corners of the world we are being labelled as racist when we are far from it.

This girl has NOT told the truth, because she said she had booked her boyfriend & herself in the twin room & a dorm bed for her colleague & no questions were asked. She had booked just for herself and her boyfriend. If that was true, then her colleague would have been booked in the dorm, Bob’s Bunk House do not ask people what colour they are. Bob’s Bunk House does, however, along with many South African hostels not take people off the street. This is in the interest of security and safety for all our guests.

On this occasion we were full in the dorm except for one bed left in the 4 sleeper & the en-suite was available. When I mentioned the en-suite for her friend, she said they were not paying that price.

That’s when I said there was only one bed left in the 4 sleeper & there were 3 females & I thought he would be uncomfortable as I could see he was a local guy.

They never gave me a chance to make another arrangement like her sharing the dorm with the other girls & her boyfriend & friend share the twin room, or the friend stay in the en-suite. We would have charged them half price as we have done many times before when we are over booked & need one extra bed rather than turn a guest away. He was sitting in the car & when she spoke to him, he started the engine & sped away.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was looking for a private room at a reasonable price and this fit the bill. Very nice, hospitable owners, safe and ample parking, located very close to all major highways leading into and around Johannesburg. I would not stay here without a car as you are a bit far from the more interesting parts of town like Melville, Parktown or Sandton, but as I had wheels it was no problem. I shared a very clean bathroom with only one other room. Bed was comfortable, room clean, and fellow travellers friendly. I also appreciated the fact that it was no problem to come in and out as I wished (as I did go out Saturday night and came back late). I would definitely recommend this for those seeking clean, friendly budget accomodations in greater Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
lon dres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My friends and me stayed here twice, it was very good. Bob and Joan are extremely helpful; pickup at airport, but also drove us to a supermarket when all others were closed to buy some meat to join them in the bry they were having, and Joane even helped remove some weird stains from my jacket. There is a pool and a bar so what more could you want. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

We have just stayed here and found it excellent value. We stayed in the double room and found it very clean and comfortable. The area itself is about 20ks away from Johannesburg city and is extremely safe, we took a walk upto the restaurants/ bars a couple of times including after dark and had no issues. Also a special mention to Bob and Joan who are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed November 2011
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed here for one night during a business trip, to allow me to go on safari to Kruger over the weekend. I booked via the internet, and Bob collected me from the airport - a great help. Yes, the location of the hostel is a little far out from the centre, but it is close to the airport and tour operators will collect you. I arrived at around 9am in the morning and i was allowed to check in straightaway and use the facilities - a great touch.

I stayed in the larger dorm, but only 3 of us were in there. Had to walk through the other dorm to get to the (spotless) bathrooms which was OK for me (maybe not so for the others, but i tried to keep as quiet as possible when leaving at 5:15!). Beds very comfortable, clean sheets and warm blankets. Due to being in the end of winter, nights are freezing and as dorms are tiled made for wearing socks to walk around.

Hostel is very secure, spotless, and welcoming. Bob and Joan are excellent hosts with fantastic knowledge. Obvious that they put a large effort into running the place. A basic, clean place to stay - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Take slippers or socks - tiled floors which can be cold at 5am!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Bob's Bunk House? Share your experiences!