“Good value accomodations especially if you have a car” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bob's Bunk House to your Saves list
Bob's Bunk House
40 St Anne Road | Hurlyvale Edenvale, Johannesburg 1610, South Africa   |
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good value accomodations especially if you have a car”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was looking for a private room at a reasonable price and this fit the bill. Very nice, hospitable owners, safe and ample parking, located very close to all major highways leading into and around Johannesburg. I would not stay here without a car as you are a bit far from the more interesting parts of town like Melville, Parktown or Sandton, but as I had wheels it was no problem. I shared a very clean bathroom with only one other room. Bed was comfortable, room clean, and fellow travellers friendly. I also appreciated the fact that it was no problem to come in and out as I wished (as I did go out Saturday night and came back late). I would definitely recommend this for those seeking clean, friendly budget accomodations in greater Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
lon dres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My friends and me stayed here twice, it was very good. Bob and Joan are extremely helpful; pickup at airport, but also drove us to a supermarket when all others were closed to buy some meat to join them in the bry they were having, and Joane even helped remove some weird stains from my jacket. There is a pool and a bar so what more could you want. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

We have just stayed here and found it excellent value. We stayed in the double room and found it very clean and comfortable. The area itself is about 20ks away from Johannesburg city and is extremely safe, we took a walk upto the restaurants/ bars a couple of times including after dark and had no issues. Also a special mention to Bob and Joan who are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed November 2011
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed here for one night during a business trip, to allow me to go on safari to Kruger over the weekend. I booked via the internet, and Bob collected me from the airport - a great help. Yes, the location of the hostel is a little far out from the centre, but it is close to the airport and tour operators will collect you. I arrived at around 9am in the morning and i was allowed to check in straightaway and use the facilities - a great touch.

I stayed in the larger dorm, but only 3 of us were in there. Had to walk through the other dorm to get to the (spotless) bathrooms which was OK for me (maybe not so for the others, but i tried to keep as quiet as possible when leaving at 5:15!). Beds very comfortable, clean sheets and warm blankets. Due to being in the end of winter, nights are freezing and as dorms are tiled made for wearing socks to walk around.

Hostel is very secure, spotless, and welcoming. Bob and Joan are excellent hosts with fantastic knowledge. Obvious that they put a large effort into running the place. A basic, clean place to stay - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Take slippers or socks - tiled floors which can be cold at 5am!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I would recommend Bob's Bunkhouse and would stay again if I needed to be near Johannesburg airport on a trip. The location is convenient if you want to be near the airport as it is very close. If you wanted more time closer to the centre then the location may not be so convenient - depends what you need. There is a shopping centre nearby, with a good supermarket if you want to self-cater and the house has a kitchen for the backpackers. I did not find the walk on the busy road all that pleasant, but it is only about 3 blocks.

I have read the other reviews here and I would disagree with the one which says it was dirty. It was one of the cleanest backpackers I have seen and I am fussy. In fact most backpacker places I saw in S Africa were far cleaner than in other parts of the world anyway. I think they deserve their award for cleanliness.

It is true that there is smoking there but it is not allowed in bedrooms or the separate lounge for backpackers. If you are allergic to smoke this may be an issue, I guess, but it is not in any way dirty. It is their home after all and this must be accepted.

I mainly talked to Bob and found him to be chatty, friendly and willing to help out wherever he could. I could not fault the service. I liked the atmosphere and the garden is nice and there is a nice pool for summer months. You can use the internet for R10 for half an hour too.

I had both a single room and a dorm on two nights and slept well in single room. The dorms are 8 bed and 4 bed. Since the bathroom is at the end of the 4-bed dorm, there is some movement through that room to use bathroom and I found this a bit disturbing. Since it is near airport there were also those leaving early. The beds were clean and comfortable.

The pick up service from 7-7 is a great help and although you pay for the drop off, the pick up is free so this is fair enough for the convenience and safety.

I enjoyed my stay here and would stay again and would certainly recommend it to others - one of the nicest backpackers I have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Campinas, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Actually we stayed at Bob's Bunkhouse during the World Cup in June 2010.
This was our first place in S.Africa. We arrived 15 minutes before the kick-off game.
Bob's and his wife were friendly and tried to make us feel at home.
The room was OK. It was clean, but very cold. Should have a heater during winter time.
The region were it is located has no restaurants close to his place. If you have a car, no problem, you are fine.
We stayed 3 nights. I can not complain because we were treated very well. John even gave the gate doors and remote control so we could gate home late at night and enjoy the World Cup better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here before and after our safari, bob and Joan were excellent hosts!! They collected us from the airport (no extra charge) and quickly settled us into the hostel! We were made to feel welcome and they even allowed us to leave 2 small bags with them whilst we went off on safari! On arrival back at the hostel they were very accommodating by allowing us to use the phone to call various places in order to sort out issues with our flights, such a lovely couple, you really couldn't ask for more!! I would highly recommend this as a place to stay and we can't wait to go back and visit again.

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Bob's Bunk House? Share your experiences!