“Loved it and THANK YOU” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 738 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Best Steakhouse in South Africa awarded by The Wolftrap steakhouse championships. Offering kitchen tours and beef courses. Beef all aged on the premises and cut to order.
“Loved it and THANK YOU”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

There are very few restaurants that can do a steak so well. The predinner beef tour was a definite wow factor for us, and every dish ordered was cooked superbly. We had for starters the local salad, the Karoo sampler, the bone marrow and the calamari. Total silence around the table as we just devoured the food, eyes closed. Next we ordered the beef sampler, with the trio of sauces, and this time, we couldn't stop moaning with the sheer pleasure of the wonderfully cooked beef. Fillet was the favorite, followed closely by the sirloin, and rump came a close third. The peppercorn sauce was the favorite.
In spite of no room for dessert, we shared a chocolate brownie with ice cream in the car on the way home (with a generously supplied spoon from the restaurant and the charming host) and this did not disappoint either. All in all, a must for anyone who appreciates beef.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Slow decent to disaster...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We've been loyal visitors to The Local for the past 5 years and sadly this restaurant has descended into disappointment. Their oyster are always frozen, I have been served frozen solid oysters on 2 occasions and their previously incredible steaks are now never served anything but lukewarm. The only reason we bother is for their onion rings and the really friendly service. At the price, you're better off at Wombles or Turn n Tender across the road.

Johannesburg
“Just above average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try the local grill for the first time since we've heard so much about them. On arrival, we waited at least 10 mins before being seen to. The two barmen just stood there looking at us like idiots. When staff eventually came to welcome us, they couldn't find our reservation which was made the day before. The waiter was super friendly and responded well, suggesting things here and there. The food wasn't the absolute best but is still pretty good. I loved the atmosphere and will be coming again dispite the bad welcome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Worst prego ever, terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Whereas we are regulars here, Iast night I made the mistake of ordering the beef prego, and not the usual steak, which is normally excellent. The prego arrived without any sauce or chilli flavour (I ordered it hot!), a tiny roll with a miserable piece of meat! My wife's prawns were average.

The service was also pathetic: whereas the prego is served with chips, I ordered the beer battered onion rings, clearly as a side order. When the food came, the onion rings had replaced the chips.

We will give this place a miss for a while,.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town
“Nothing special - very surprised it is number 3 in Joburg!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went to the Local Grill (Parktown) with a large group and most people (apart from me) ordered steaks which looked good. I ordered a halloumi salad which was nothing special. The halloumi was very thick and looked like it had been deep fried. Wasn't very tasty at all. I also had some fries and onion rings. These were fine but very very greasy. I found the food extremely hard to digest, despite going for the lighter option of a salad. I also had a little taste of someone's sausage meal which was extremely greasy and the sausage also seemed a little undercooked. Perhaps this is the kind of place you have to order a steak to enjoy it. However I would have thought as the number 3 best restaurant in Johannesburg (as voted on tripadviser) that on average the whole menu would be at least good and above. The Local Grill for me doesn't even begin to compare to the top 2, The Cube and Cafe Del Sol which seem to be in a league of their own. Overall I found the place to be a bit of a 'greasy spoon' which, unless you enjoy greasy fried food, I wouldn't choose to go to again.

• Visited January 2013