“Warm & cosy in Johannesburg” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MoAfrika Lodge

You added MoAfrika Lodge to your Saves list
MoAfrika Lodge
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   120 Sandham Road | Norton Home Estate, Benoni 1619, South Africa   |
Ranked #7 of 34 Benoni B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Warm & cosy in Johannesburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Thumbs up to Anthony & his team for running this nice cozy lodge in Joburg. We stayed here for 2 nights en route to Kruger, and the place lives up to the expectations. From reservation to sent off to airport we received excellent customer service and attention. Anthony's friendly and very helpful, and we simply have to mention Andrew and the staff as well - that's what we call service with a smile. Will definitely return if we have opportunity to travel to South Africa in future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I found MoAfrika through tripadvisor, and based on the positive reviews, affordability, free airport pick up and drop off, and the fact that I could go on a day trip to Johannesburg and Soweto through MoAfrika, I decided to book it.

MoAfrika was my last accommodation on my 4-and-a-half week long trip in Southern Africa. After living in a volunteer house my first week, camping for 20 days and being in a hostel for 2 nights, MoAfrika was like paradise. I booked a standard single room. The bed sheets were like brand new (but unfortunately I got a sore back from the soft mattress). The moment I saw my room and the living room I was wishing I could stay there for more than one night. Love the African décor of the place. It has a nice homey feel to it. I also liked that it was in a quiet area, away from the noisy city. The owner, Anthony, was very friendly, as well as Andrew and the drivers I had. The other travelers I met there were also nice. And if you like dogs, they have three. There was free wi-fi as well.

Unfortunately I threw up at night and in the morning what I ate for dinner so I wasn’t well to enjoy the breakfast included. I wanted to take a shower in the morning but didn’t get hot water (I wasn’t told until I asked later that I had to turn the knob a certain way). Luckily I was well enough to still go on the day trip. The trip was alright (I was really tired), and we could have spent our whole morning at Constitution Hill if we hadn’t told our driver/guide that we wanted to see other parts of Johannesburg. We got back from the day trip later than we were supposed to but with enough time for me to take a nice warm shower.

I would have given MoAfrika 5-stars if I was picked up on time at the airport (I waited an hour), if I didn’t throw up my dinner (although it might not be the dinner’s fault), if I had a hot shower when I wanted it, and if the day trip was a bit more organized. I would definitely recommend MoAfrika to others and consider booking it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Wonderful Place. This place is the only option! Great rooms. good people. the food is lekker. they pick u up at airport. Humn... what else, there is nothing i can say negative. really feel like a friend there

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Mo-afrika – what an awesome place! I have stayed there twice now and use it as a base for ortambo and kruger etc. It’s like a five star boutique hotel at back packer prices. The mattresses are very comfortable and the beds are kitted out with modern and comfortable linen. It’s the closest thing to the bed I sleep on at home. Lovely home cooked food. Genuinely friendly staff and there is always a nice chatty and interesting crowd.
Whilst there I was picked up for an awesome tour at Kruger Park and spent considerable time at two great malls near by.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice, I have slept in three of them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My parner and I stayed at MoAfrika before and after a 4 day Kruger safari, at the end of a busy 3 week trip througout South Africa. Anthony and his team run a great place...a very special and loud shout out to Andrew, who was always helpful and friendly!

A special bonus for my fellow dog lovers out there - Anthony has 3 great big, lovable dogs who love hanging out with you on the porch. These big ol' dogs are nothing but heart, but if dogs aren't your thing....

Anthony picked us us promptly from the airport, which was greatly appreciated as that we learned that very little happens on-time in South Africa (all the more time to look at the amazing surroundings and breathe that wonderful South African air!). While we were there we had some trouble with our mobile phone service, which made talking to our kids in the US really difficult. Anthony to the rescue....he drove us to a nearby store, had us purchase international minutes for his phone, and then handed his phone over so we could call the kids. Greatly appreciated!

One glitch while we were there - because of an over-booking we had to move rooms, which was annoying (at this point in time we had three weeks of less than clean clothes shoved into our suitcases). Anthony appeared genuinely sorry for the hassle, and gave us a discount on our bill. Well played, sir!

All in all, MoAfrika is a great place to stay. It's a bit removed from the city, which made for great sleeping and beautiful sunrises.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

iwent to Africa and istayed many places one of the place was MOAFRIKA LODGE but was very supper number one and the people were herlpfull

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My teenage son and I stayed at MoAfrika Lodge for four days late May/early June before leaving for an overland safari. Everyone was so very nice and helped with every little need we had including tours throughout the city, going to the Lion Park and getting our visas for Mozambique. (Check out MoAfrika Tours.) It was so convenient to have the tours originate right from the lodge. The driver/guides Nic and Mdu were super competent and made getting around so easy. Anthony the owner, Andrew and the kitchen ladies were all so helpful and really made my son and myself feel at home. After three weeks on the road we returned to MoAfrika for one last day before our big flight back to the US - It was like coming home and visiting with relatives. Can't wait to return again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to MoAfrika Lodge? Share your experiences!