“Value for Money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre

You added Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   912 Nelson Mandela Drive | Southernwood, Mthatha 5100, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mthatha
Centurion, South Africa
“Value for Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I find the Hotel Savoy situated close to restaurant facilities, my work and is secure. Rooms are comfortable and reasonable priced. Reception staff are very helpful and cheerful. Breakfast served in the local Mikes Kitchen was good

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pretoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

It would be nice to have a single sofa in the room for sitting purposes if one does not want to sit on the bed.
The service and cooperation of staff was good.
I will come back to the hotel.
………………,,,,,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Did my booking via Internet. Had a very prompt response and when I enquired about special rates the GM Joanne was very helpful and it was a pleasure dealing with her and the staff who were efficient, friendly and courteous. Well done Joanne to you and your staff. The room was great , very clean and very spacious. Our dinner at Mikes Kitchen was mediocre and expensive for what you got but breakfast was great. I would recommend the Savoy to anybody staying in Umtata. Keep it up Joanne

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Leighmy, Director of Sales at Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Mike

Thank you for your time taken to review Hotel Savoy. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. And hope that we will see you again soon.

Thank you for your compliments to Joanne Macdonald our GM I will pass them on.

We aim to do our best at all times
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had to come through to Mthatha for business over easter weekend. I usually stay in a B&B, but in a weak moment I made a booking at Hotel Savoy Mthatha.
The room and bathroom was neat enough, but that was the least of our problems.

Our problem was the fact that the other guest staying there, had ZERO respect or consideration for other people staying over. And apparently Savoy Mthatha didn't care either. It felt like we had managed to get ourselves a bed in the middle of a concrete jungle.

We needed to get up early the next morning to do our work so we got to bed early. Instead of getting a good night's rest, we spend most of the night - until about 2h30 am, listening to our extremely noisy and drunk neighbours. It wasn't just one room, but it seemed like the entire floor level was having a party outside in the parking lot and inside their rooms. People were talking loudly and laughing and screaming and the tv was full volume. There was also loud music being played from cars outside in the parking lot. If it had not been late, I would have asked for a refund and found myself another place to stay.

This type of rowdy and completely selfish behaviour of guests is 100 % unacceptable. We called front desk to ask if we could please be moved, but we were told that security would quiet our neighbours. I ended up having to call 3 more times - the last call was at 2am before the noise started to quiet down.

What type of a business is Savoy Mthata running? A local pub and / or gathering place for visitors and locals? Because I'm convinced it is NOT a rest stop for business people or visitors. If any business people or out of towners are looking for a nice quiet place to stay - DO NOT GO TO SAVOY MTHATHA!

Find a way to control your guest and who they invite to visit them at YOUR facility Savoy Mthatha! Dont tell me you have no control over guest, because you should have and you do!

How you manage to stay in business is beyond me. You will never see me again and I will tell all my associates the same.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed one night in this hotel as a stop over between Durban and Balitto. The facilities are basic and the service average but its perfectly acceptable for one night. Breakfast/dinner is supplied by nearby Mikes Kitchen - this to was ok.

Room Tip: Get in and get out....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I made a booking through bookings.com and it wasn't found due to a technical fault on Hotel Savoy's side. One of the reception ladies couldn't remember my even after correcting her 5 times. Dstv wasn't working and when it did the picture was hazy. The room was comfortable, clean and modern. I hope the next time I visit the above will have improved

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

East London, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Booked a smoking room days in advance, when I arrived I was informed they have no smoking rooms available, and didn't attempt to assist me. If you offer a smoking room option then make sure you have a smoking room available! Also very expensive.. complete rip off.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Leighmy, Director of Sales at Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am very concerned where you read that we had smoking rooms. We make use of a number of sites and I need to rectify this immediately - please would you be so kind and contact me on leigh@jhgroup.co.za with the site that you booked on and read this. I look forward to hearing from you

Been to Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!