“Great food and very reasonable!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Arkansas
“Great food and very reasonable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed this place. I had Navajo mini taco which was very good and more than I could eat. My husband had a large chimi with just chicken meat which he enjoyed. Salsa was very very spicy but good. Friendly service. Glad we stopped on our way to Monument Valley because not many places to eat in the area. Would stop here again if in area.

Visited October 2013

77% Recommend
Sapulpa
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Food was delicious. We had the chimichanga. The employees were friendly but the atmosphere was lacking and the waitress forgot chips and salsa but she was sweet and apologetic.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Good service and nice people cannot save the food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The previous reviews led me to think this place served good food, but I think they were reviewing the nice people who work here.

I am not sure what this place is trying to be, and do not really care. They seemed to have a bit of Tex Mex on the menu, and some other unrelated items, but we figured Tex Mex is a bit hard to screw up and we had a good chance of getting a freshly cooked meal. Wrong.

When you look at the menu, you might notice the phrase "no substitutions" in a number of places. That was a warning I ignored. There is a reason for that phrase, and that reason is because the Mexican food is all premade. What is not premade comes straight from a jar or can. If the food is already made then obviously there cannot be any substitutions.

Basically, they have bins of enchiladas, tamales...whatever, mass made and then put in the fridge/freezer until someone orders them. When are they made? Who knows, but basically you are eating reheated leftovers. They take old rice - frankly, our rice was rock solid and inedible, so it might have been a week or two old, refried beans straight from a can, and whatever combination of items you ordered on a plate, cover it with the sauce you choose, and it does not matter which one you choose, neither taste home made, and pop it in an oven. The laziest of lazy cooking. Wonder why your place comes to your table at about 400 degrees? Wonder no more.

The people working front of house are sweet, probably the owners, who knows. I wish them all the best, AFTER they fire the lazy cooks and start cooking food to order. And if the rice does not sell the day you make it - you throw it out and make more the next day. It is not complicated and it is not time consuming to make good tasting Tex Mex. Especially since they are charging mid-sized city prices for their lousy plates of food.

Why two stars then? The fry bread. Made to order and totally fresh, hot and tasty. If you have to stop here, order this and be happy. It is a bit like funnel cake, but much better. It comes with powdered sugar and honey and is great with either.

The place is a dump, and we know first hand how the best places are usually well hidden by an understated interior. Sadly, in this case the decor matched the food.

The positive reviews for this place are unfathomable. Yes, the people are friendly, and I wanted to love this place, but the food was just too poor for me to lie about.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Don't understand the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love Mexican food. The day we were there I was really hungry and would have settled for a Sonic burger but when I saw came up on the this place I had to stop. Wish I hadn't. Maybe it was just an off day, but the food was really mediocre and bland. My travel partner couldn't eat what she ordered so we had to stop at the nearby gas station for a chicken salad sandwich.

I ordered a slice of apple pie but I think it was a Mrs. Smith's. It was ok.

The server was very nice and friendly so that kind of saved the day.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“Looks are deceiving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We read about Amigo's on TripAdvisor and thought we'd give it a try. We did sit outside for a while wondering if we should risk it. It looks like a run down shed from the outside. We did go in and were greeted by a friendly waitress who told us to sit any where. We were the only ones in at the time. The menu isn't huge but there's enough variety. I had a burrito and my husband and daughter had chimichanga. They were all very tasty. My husband had apple pie (the only desert they have) & said it was the best he had ever had! There's no alcohol served on Navajo land so if you can't live without buy some before you get there for consumption in your hotel.

• Visited August 2013