“No glitz, no glamour just a clean and peaceful place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kayenta Monument Valley Inn

Save Saved
You added Kayenta Monument Valley Inn to your Saves list
Kayenta Monument Valley Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Junction US Highways 160 & 163, P.O. Box 307, Kayenta, AZ 86033 (Formerly Holiday Inn Kayenta)   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Kayenta
London, England
“No glitz, no glamour just a clean and peaceful place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

As with so many others, we stayed during a trip to Monument Valley. Our two nights were restful and without incident. Upon our arrival, we were told that the king rooms that we had booked were changed to doubles. The reason for this, which we were grateful for, was that those rooms were being recarpeted and they did not want us to be disturbed by the workman. After that, check-in was a breeze.

In general, the room was very clean--probably the most important thing--and the furnishings in good condition. The bathroom could do with some updating. The free wi-fi was a delight. Overall, I think that when one considers that this hotel was probably built in the 1970s (the buidlings are a bit dreary) it has held up quite well.

On our view of the value, I put it at three because we had a corporate discount. From what I have seen on the Holiday Inn website without the discount the rooms are a little pricey. But, having looked at other hotels in the area the rack rate seems to be average.

Others have pointed out that there are a lot of stray dogs in the area. Whilst this is not false we only saw a couple.

In short, I would not discourge a traveller from staying at this hotel. It does or is what it says on the tin, and what one should expect from a hotel in such a small town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

We were on a roadtrip and booked the hotel a day before we went to Kayenta. Because of this we didn't have a voucher printed out. We hadn't had any problems with other hotels so we thought it wouldn't be. Well coming to the hotel the lady behind the desk was not verry welkoming and kinda complaint we didn't have a vouchure. But we got our rooms. The rooms it self were oke, nothing wrong with it. For diner we went to the hotel restaurant cause there wasn't much ells in the neighborhood. The service was oke, but the food was really bad! The next day we wanted to check out and we got a bill. While we had already payed online. Which we were sure of! The lady didn't do anything to check it out againd. And she was just plain rude. In the end we had payed twice! Not a good thing and the service and people were just plain rude!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

I stayed here with my family a couples summers ago but never got around to writing a review. I'm taking the time now to warn fellow travelers NOT to stay here. In the course of a week, we drove from Phoenix, to Sedona, to Monument Valley, to Zion National Park, to Las Vegas, needless to say, we were tired. The first thing you'll notice is all the stray dogs roaming around. It absolutely broke my heart, so much so, we stopped at a local store to pick up dog food to feed the animals. I was unaware when we first arrived at the Holiday Inn that the dogs were stray so I asked the woman in the gift store whose dogs they were. She snapped my head off and told me in a condescending voice that they were strays when I merely wanted permission to give them a bowl of water.

The room they gave us reeked of cigarette smoke so we changed rooms. The next one wasn't any better. The sheets were dirty and felt like I was sleeping in a hospital bed. The staff is as cordial as they have to be but definitely are not warm and friendly. That being said, I understand how many tourists are probably inconsiderate to those in the Navajo community, especially when towns like Kayenta suffer from poverty. It's a really unfortunate predicament but our trip was definitely soured by our stay here.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010 via mobile

Stood in line for 20 minutes to check in with a reservation reserved a non-smoking king room. Upon check in found out no more king only 2 beds smoking. My confirmation did NOT mean crap. Evening manager was totally clueless of his duty. GM next morning rude as ever could care less to my complaints. The only one to acknowledge my disappionts was the nice front desk girl "Tilda" who took it upon herself to buy us breakfast. This made up for the 2 rude encounters.

• Stayed August 2008
Great Britain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Most people on here complain about the price of this hotel. Yes it is expensive, but in a part of the world where there is minimal competition I'm not sure what people expect. The price is well worth it when you consider that Monument Valley is 25 mins away and you would probably only spend 1/2 nights here anyway.

Good points:
Good location for getting to Monument Valley.
The rooms were really good, very clean, large and comfortable.
Free internet in lobby.

Bad points:
Waiters/waitresses are hopeless in the restaurant
No alcohol (suggest you stock up the boot of your car before you come here)

• Stayed July 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I rested well and enjoyed the serenity of the area. The food was good in the hotel and I thought the rates were very good. Free wifi in my room helped my work since I was there on business.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

The family room was a good size and the pool was clean. Disappointing evening meal though.

Easy to get to Monument valley.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Been to Kayenta Monument Valley Inn? Share your experiences!