“Not the wedding night I planned” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Summerstrand Hotel

You added Summerstrand Hotel to your Saves list
Summerstrand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marine Drive | Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth 6000, South Africa   |
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Not the wedding night I planned”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Summerstrand Hotel on the 6th April 2013. It was my wedding night so I had arranged earlier that someone ensure that champaign, strawberry's, ice, water, etc were waiting when we got there. It was confirmed. On arriving we stood at the reception desk (tired from the wedding) for around 20 minutes while they "looked" for our reservation. In fact they just stood there and said they couldn't find it. Only after I got the code from my email did we found it was reserved under my first name. Ok not a train smash. We rushed upstairs and went to our room.

On entering I realised that the room did not have ANY campaign nor strawberry's etc as requested. In fact there was NOTHING. So they screwed up my surprise (and after the confirmed it would all be ready it was quite a disappointment). Then I realised there is no mini bar or even a bottle of water. Literally NOTHING to welcome you. So we drank some water out of the tap and ended up going to sleep - pretty sad and depressed.

Breakfast was pretty good as it was a buffet but overall - really poor service and room. Asked for decaf cappuccino - no we don't have that. Well they didn't have water so what did I expect. (I found out you can buy water at R15 per 500ml.)

The view from my "sea facing" room was a dirty grey roof. The room was a combined mess. They had combined two rooms together. There was a low drone throughout the night and you can easily hear next door run a bath or the worst thing was the TV next door stayed on the whole night! And you can hear it clear enough to keep you up. So I slept with a pillow over my head.

Not the wedding night I had envisaged that's for sure. Will never go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think you will find any "good" rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

First, the hotel has no views of the beach, you can look at an ancient pool with it's tiles falling off, or the parking lot...there are no wi-fi extenders in the building, so unless you get a room within 5 meters of the routers, you will not have wi-fi, and even if you do, it certainly is not high speed, unless you are used to a 2600baud modem from 1989. Food in the restaurant is average. The AC in my room did not work, the TV seized to function after my 4th day, and the shower had mold growing on the walls. Morning showers were an adventure as the temperature went from cold to boiling hot constantly. As a business center, the hotel may have been grand during the age of typewriters in 1986; however, the electrical outlets can not support an automated conference. With this said, the staff was friendly, curteous and helpful, in fact the only saving grace for this hotel. I would NOT recommend this hotel!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Northcliff, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

lovely place to just come and chill to after a hot day on the beach. P.E forces to you sow down especially if you're from hectic joburg. Would definitely be back with my family...and take a loooonger holiday :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Port Elizabeth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a 25 years service celebration dinner for one of our drivers on Saturday evening. The restuarant layout is fantastic catering for large numbers or even for an intimate dinner with your partner is still suitable. There is a lounge area so beautifully decorated with a large pool where you could sit and have an intimate conversation. The food was great - buffet style with a variety to choose from and the service excellent. The staff was friendly and served us with smiles, they even offered to wait until we had enough as we were the only ones left. We had so much fun eating, chatting and enjoying our drinks that we decided that we are going to have our Year End Function there in December with our partners.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I recently spent 2 nights at this hotel whilst attending a conference in Port Elizabeth. The check-in process was very slow and laboured. Whilst the staff were friendly, there did not appear to be an plan to deal with guests checking in and checking out. The hotel itself is rather dated. My room was spacious, but the toliet did not work, so I had to be moved to another room. Several of the card keys did not work for the new room, so had to be moved once again. Overall, the hotel was clean and neat although it does perhaps need to be modernised and the look updated. The costs for the stay were reasonable. Room service was quick and efficient and the food was ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Had a conference at Summerstrand, conference rates great, food great, accommodation great. Ask for a Sea facing room on upper levels to enjoy Port Elizabeth.

William at the conference side, again service with a smile. 2nd conference there and will be going back for more!!

Room Tip: Sea Facing on upper level
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Umtentweni
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night in December on our way down the Garden Route. We are 2 adults and 2 children.
The room was fine. It had 2 double beds and had a sliding door which opened out onto the swimming pool. We really liked that. The pool is big which we enjoyed. The room as a whole was quite "old" and in need of a refurb however it was clean. the bathroom was also looking old and in need of a refurb.
The buffet breakfast was very nice with a wide selction to choose from. My favourite thing about this hotel was the coffee at breakfast!! It was the best coffee I had on my whole holiday. It really was very good.
I wouldn't say it was a bad experience at all but I would try somewhere else for my next trip.

Room Tip: In summer, I would choose ground floor as they open onto the swimming pool area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Summerstrand Hotel? Share your experiences!