“Enjoyed my 1 night here with helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Windermere Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Humewood Rd, Port Elizabeth 6001, South Africa   |
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Enjoyed my 1 night here with helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I agree with others, that this is a true gem on the inside. I stayed here 1night on my own and the staff were delightful. Sadly no evening meals available and, as I was travelling on my own, I did not manage to find somewhere suitable in walking distance where I felt safe walking around the area at night. Huge rooms, up-today's magazines in the rooms and an outside area to sit and relax. They could do with updating their material in the rooms as it is out of date and include restaurant reviews please.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My travel agent booked this boutique hotel for me. I stayed there one night, though I could easily have stayed longer. I loved the location near the waterfront. I enjoyed the intimate feel of the hotel, which has only eight guest rooms. The hotel is formed of three houses joined together. My room was spacious with a king-size bed and elegant bathroom. The carpet was a bit worn, but clean. I arrived in Port Elizabeth on a late flight from Jo-burg, so I did not feel like going out for dinner even though there were numerous restaurants within walking distance. Still, I was dismayed to find that there was no dining room/restaurant in the hotel. The attendant offered to make me a pot of tea. The room had a minibar with bags of chips and chocolate bars. Nothing substantial. My stay included a full breakfast, which was delicious. I had a tasty vegetarian omelet--served hot. After a walk along the waterfront and sightseeing, I relaxed in the courtyard--a very pleasant garden area. Staff brought me a pot of tea. The manager was friendly and helpful. She came out to introduce herself and inquire if I needed anything. I felt safe and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent one night in the Windermere. We drove in from St. Francis Bay and spent the night before an early flight out to JNB. The staff were so lovely upon arrival, made coffee and tea for us, booked a table at the wonderful restaurant and took great care of us. We did have a rental car and were able to park in the garage behind the hotel. The room was huge, so huge the kids were afraid to sleep that far from us so we split parents and kids. Bathroom was the size of small house! Shower was actually too big so I used the lovely tub. We recommend King cab had a great ride home from Ginger restaurant. Enjoyed it and would recommend to folks traveling with kids!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Cold and unpersersonnal. Eg No music in the lounge....because they have been wating 6 months for someone to come and fix it....
no dstv channels other than what u get at a 2star hotel. Half eaten packages of chips in minibar. Carpets dirty. Couches dirty. Primitive tv set. No parking other than in the street....because it is full while we were here since morning. Truelly dissapointing. Could have had much more for much less...

• Stayed August 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were abit sceptical from the outside and the 'area' but were pleasantly surprised once we stepped in. We were warmly greeted by the host who made us hot chocolates and coffee and lit the fire just to warm us from the cold outside. Our room was a lovely, spacious suite that the kids really enjoyed! Breakfast is not a spread but nevertheless quite delicious. The one thing that stands out is that you can order tea, coffee, hot choc anytime and it comes to you wonderfully laid out with biscuits at no extra cost!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Wow - this place was total surprise. Not at all what we expected when we looked at it from the street. It's difficult to find and I would suggest getting landmarks from the management before you head to the Windermere. But it was a fabulous retreat in Port Elizabeth. The room was huge and the bath area fantastic. The property is lovely and welcoming as are the staff. It's a very short drive to the airport and a short walk to the waterfront area. This place is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was one of the nicest places ive stayed in my life. The staff were very kind and friendly and did everything they could for us. Rooms were fab. Spacious and comforting. Bathrooms were massive and very clean. Breakfast was so nice, fruit salad was very fresh. My family and I didnt do much while in Port Elizabeth so that gave us more time to sit on the relaxing couches. Brilliant recommend it to everyone. Staff were just amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Windermere Hotel? Share your experiences!