“Clean, cute and cheap with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Hippo Backpackers to your Saves list
The Hippo Backpackers
14 Glen Street, Richmond Hill, Port Elizabeth 6001, South Africa   |
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Clean, cute and cheap with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night between travelling but would have been happy to stay longer. We chose it as it was a collection point for the Baz Bus.
We booked a twin room which was clean and secure, with a small bathroom opposite. The kitchen area was large and clean, there was free wifi and a computer available for use, tv, pool, lots of info for travellers.
The lady who works there, Patricia, was very friendly and happy to help. She gave us directions to the local Spar shop and was quite worried we would get lost, and seemed genuinely relieved when we arrived back safely!
There is a resident dog too, a very old boxer called Tyson, who was lovely, really friendly and very comfortable around strangers.
Overall it was a very nice play to stop, we only wished we could have stayed longer as we arrived around 5pm and left at 6.45am the next day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We were only in town for one night, but i think it would have been fine for 2--there were only four guests in the whole place so it was very quiet; great pool and poolside area, modest kitchen but it works, small indoor common area, braai area outside, decent sized dorms with worn but clean sheets, basic bathrooms but clean, tea and toast for breakfast; nice manager, very safe with a locked gate to the outside; they have laundry (30 rand for wash/dry/fold but it was out of order); they are close to a street with nice restaurants and bars which are open late (11 pm is when kitchens close) so it's safe enough to walk to and from the hostel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Munster, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

On my trip to South Africa, the Hippo Backpackers has been one of my favorite places to stay so far! I really enjoyed the helpful and very friendly staff! Since I haven't been to PE before, they did a good job showing me around and explaining the directions to me on the map. In gerneral one can say that the Backpackers is basically quiet, and a really nice place to relax (especially with the pool ;)). But even if you don't feel like sitting at the pool or at the bar in the backpackers and would rather go out, Hippo is a good choice. You live just 2 mins away from a lot of good restaurants and cool bars.
To sum up my experiences i would say: one of the cleanest backpackers so far, save and fun area around, nice staff, good for relaxing and going out at the same time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

what a punch of unproffesional people!!!! I called to make a booking for one week, which was confirmed. Asked if I should make a deposit and/or confirm antything via e-mail. i was assured that the twin room was available and they don't even have bookings in the dorm during this week...today - check in date - I received a call, telling me that they don't have a room available after all..I actually did send a confirmation e-mail yesterday to make sure all is in order. Apparently they have a large group coming in - very obvilous, that if they did not have any bookings yesterday, only us - one room - they received a booking for all beds and decided that it was the better option for them and cancelled us - talk about greedy!!!! Now I have to look for a new accommodation....I do not advise you to book there - as maybe this will happen to you too - money talks....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed 3nights in double room, the shover was very small and night time was very cold and there is no heater, maybe summer is better for comming here. Othervise the place is nice,staff is very friendly and helpfull. We went to lion park and 1day to Jeffrey's bay. Tmrw going to Kruger for safari. If you planning to come here don't go to center sooo bad I mean the people , it is not safe at all and there is no much to do eather. You can go for coffe to dunkin reserve and that's it. Just do the safari here and get out. I was expecting more from Port Elizabeth . There is one guy he runs a taxi compani between port Elizabeth and Jeffrey's bay also take you anywhere he is very nice and cheap as well 0027824495735 it's 24 hours taxi

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Heilbronn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We had a short visit to P.E. Stayed only one night over and had a nice double room.
There is also a nice small swimming pool, kitchen and spot outside to sit.
close to the backpackers are nice restaurants (superstar charlie - very good pizza and pasta), bars and very good bakery. only 5 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Traveling in low season I found myself to be the only one staying there one of my two nights and one of three people the other. The place was kept clean and the staff was laid back and friendly. Location seemed good as I was able to walk everywhere I felt like going.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Hippo Backpackers? Share your experiences!