“What a lovely place” 5 of 5 stars

P.O. Box 1936, Plettenberg Bay 6600, South Africa   |
London, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed at Emily Moon River Lodge last December and had a great time. The view over the river is lovely and the staff terrific. It was a highlight of our stay in the Cape. I would highly recommend it if you are going down to Plettenberg Bay and wanting to stay in a delightful Lodge. The hosts Di and Simon Valentine couldn't have been kinder to our every whim .
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Woodford Green, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The heading of the review says it all, I will try and say why it was disappointing, because there was good bits to it as well.

Rooms
Very spaciaous with beautiful views, outside shower, comfortable bed, room for suitcases, clean with essentials such as shower gels etc, good towels. No wifi in rooms
Only communal areas. However there did appear to be a lot of scuttling beneath the high ceiling which defiantly was home to some creatures that kept us awake all night. Bats had been a problem previously in a pass review.

Communal areas for guests.

Here is the most frustrating part of it, there are none, Emily Moon is also part of a very successful restaurant within the hotel, but the restaurant is where the hotel guest have there breakfast, so as soon as you have finished you feel you need to leave as lunch time tables are being prepared, by 11.30 customers start coming in for lunch.

The evenings are the worse, as by they time we wanted to come down to have a drink all the communal area which really was two small sofas were packed with restaurant customers from outside, parking also became a problem, so unless you were eating in the restaurant there was no where to go, there is no lounge, there is no private area for guest only to relax

You only have your room and no where else to go.

Small pool area only two chairs, canoes available walks nearby, so location and position is excellent, the dramatic look from the dining area is great.i would love to be able to sit and look out on the view after breakfast but you felt you were unable to due to the staff all in a hurry to get the Restrurant ready for outside guest.

Host

The every day management of the hotel is run by Simon And Diane , who I understand are the parents of the owner Mark.
They appeared to be helpful but I found they were coming across as a bit over bearing, Simon can come across a loud character bit army Major.

I experienced this when one evening at 9.15pm when the Restrurant was fully open, I went over to the reception and found out no one is there after 8pm. So I asked one of the managers running the restaurant if I could have some bread and jam as I had not eaten all day and felt unwell,, I was made to wait 20 mins the excuses given was the bread was in another kitchen there was no jam, after 20 mins I was told they would send some to the room. By 11pm I gave up and no one came.

I was very upset because I felt that the hotel guest are not a priority , it is all about the restaurant. Next morning when I went to reception Simon came in and I told him I was not happy, he starting saying why didn't you come to see me I am the managing Director etc, I told him that there is no way I was going to walk into a Restrurant area whilst he is going round table to table introducing himself, I was going to go and ask him the MD for a piece of bread and butter, I thought that by asking a member of his staff quietly,they would resolve it.

He said I could of called a number and I would get through to someone.

Well, the first things is when we checked in none of this was explained,there was no number given to us, we had no idea reception closed at 8pm.

To me Emily Moon needs to decide is it a hotel or is it a restaurant, as one previous review put it
She felt they were in the way and I must admit I felt the same.

Simon and Diane playing host made me feel they were at times over bearing but not in the friendly way other hosts have done it.

Having mentioned my experiance to a couple of guest they said good on you. I got the impression that due to the big Character Simon is within Emily Moon people are not happy about putting across there problems.

He did apologise, but did not offer to put anything right and stated that the Restrurant was two entities run from the same complex and yes it was priority.

Would I return to stay No

Would I recommend it for others to stay. No

Location great, rooms very good, but something needs to change, I think know what that may be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed with our 3 children (16, 13 and 12) at the Emily Moon over Christmas and had an amazing time. The rooms are very comfortable with amazing views over the river (we had a go at kayaking down it) and the hills in the distance. The hotel obviously has a reputation for its food - we were there for Christmas lunch and they had automatically booked us in, which was just fantastic as we had no idea where else we could go. Amazingly 150 guests from outside the hotel were going to join us! Breakfast and all the meals we had there were superb - we had a bit of a panic one night with a sudden insect infestation, but it was handled brilliantly and our meals were cooked once again without a fuss. I agree that what really makes this place stand out are the owners - Simon and Diane really made us feel part of their family in their own home. They were knowledgeable, helpful and extremely friendly, as indeed were all their wonderful staff. We cannot recommend Emily Moon highly enough and we will definitely be going back.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We arrived with horrid weather but soon forgot all about it! The rooms were amazing, african trincets all round the room combined with the view is a real treat. Combined with a log fire and warm hospitality we fell in love with Emily Moon. Sadly we were only staying one night, but next time we would definately spoil ourselves and stay longer as it was just heaven. Unfortuantely the restaurant was closed due to a private function but Emily moon booked us in elsewhere and organised pick up and drop off, if breakfast was anything to go by dinner would have been fab too!

Definately worth spoiling yourself with a trip here!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at the Emily Moon (husband and 2 children 11 & 9) for 6 days over Christmas. The setting is stunning. Just off the main N2 highway nestling in the hills over looking a lovely winding river. The room, which had recently been renovated was amazing. The two huge interconnecting rooms were beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The bathrooms are well stocked and imaginatively designed. The atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxed, informal but incredibly well run. The staff are knowledgable and helpful. The food, both at breakfast - which are extensive and were included in our package and dinner was imaginative and presented with flair. However the the real plus which makes this place stand out are the owners, Diane and Simon. They make you feel like you are guests in their home and for that the experience is priceless. We will be going back!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with children opt for rooms 9 and 10.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed for one night at Emily Moons for my birthday and we just loved it!

We arrived in the middle of a rain shower and they provided umbrellas etc...

The room was perfect - log fire, comfortable bed - a bathroom with a door to outside with outdoor shower. The toiletries were so nice that we stopped in George on the way back to buy some!

We had been warned about the rain spiders in the guestbook - at dinner a huge spider decided to make an appearance - luckily Simon was there to get rid of it! The staff were really friendly and our waiter was fun to talk to. The food was really good.

There were torches, insect repellent back at the rooms - everything had been thought of.

At breakfast the next day, the owners were on hand to help with our onward journey - don't miss the shop before you leave - lovely jewelry, souvenirs etc..

We haven't got a bad thing to say about Emily's - we would stay there again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed at Emily Moon on 14th & 15th November. Originally we were meant to stay in Knysna, but Emily Moon came recommended so we decided to change our plans and stay in Plett for two nights. I'm glad we changed our plans! As a party of 6, we were very well looked after. The ambiance of the place is amazing and just promotes a chill out factor. The restaurant food was excellent, so instead of venturing out into Plett to try something different, we ate at the Lodge both nights. I can't recommend Emily Moon highly enough. Beautiful rooms, good location on the Garden Route and tasty food. Well done Emily Moon!! We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Emily Moon River Lodge? Share your experiences!