“Hidden beauty!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 73 Plettenberg Bay B&B and Inns
Glucksburg, Germany
“Hidden beauty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Although Stone Cottage goes as a backpackers, this is definitly not appliccable to the three suites! Beautiful and lovingly decorated (we stayed in Boetie Pierre), spacious,just a jump to the beach or the city centre, serviced daily +++++. We had the best time of our stay in South Afriva here.
This place has a very special charme,
Furthermore, if you love the deco there as much as we did, most of it is for sale, as the artist is staying in the main house. Just ask!Our suite had to go through a bit of redecorating as we took three pictures home.
THX girls, we had a exquisite time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AnnieLeRoux, Owner at Stone Cottage, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you Thank you THANK you for your kind words - about the House and the ART!! My life is filled with creative energy and I am soooo happy to be able to share with you - and with GERMANY!
Thank you for your visit! And let us know when you come through next time! I'll get VERY CREATIVE!
Much love and APPREICATION!
DANKE!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

"I think I fell in love with Stone Cottage before I even got there. Hearing about it's history, when it was built and the fact that it is still in the same family, it instantly held an old world appeal and beauty for me.

Some say sentiment is expensive, but in Stone Cottages case the past and its treasures are priceless. In this new digital world we live in, Stone Cottage is a rare glimpse into our past and life's simple beauties.

My expectations were well met and exceeded when I first walked through the drift wood front gate, into the indigenous garden full of succulents. I was met by welcoming smiles and a badly needed cup of tea after the long drive from Cape Town.

I instantly felt I was at home and a few days later, over a cup of coffee with Annie, coined the phrase "Home on the Road".

I was the first guest to stay in the new Oupa Jannie Backpackers, a stunning space. The dorm rooms are fresh, clean, crisp and white and I spent many restful nights (and lazy mornings) in my comfy timber bunk bed. My morning shower(which is now sorely missed) was always a highlight of my day, with a gas geyser(so its always hot!) and a large copper shower rose, aaahhhh. The newly extended bathroom area, built from timber and tin with drift wood fittings, was always clean with lots of fresh air and a sea view to brush my teeth to. The fully equipped kitchen was a pleasure to cook in and the dining/sun room a great place to enjoy a meal. Or if the weather is good there is always the outside deck with sweeping views from Robberg Peninsula(a must on your trip!) to the foothills of the Outeniqua Mountains and the Tsisikama Range.

There is always something happening and changing at Stone Cottage,making it a positive, creative space. Its location is majestic and beautiful on a hill overlooking the sea and a 5 minute walk from the beach and Main Street in town, so its convenient too. It is on a main road though, so can get a bit noisy traffic wise, a small price in my opinion.

I truly enjoyed my stay at Stone Cottage and cant wait for my next road trip, so I can get back to my home on the road."

Room Tip: The back packers would be amazing to share with a couple of friends on a road trip. A bit of luxury...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
AnnieLeRoux, Owner at Stone Cottage, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank your for your thoughtful review! It is much appreciated - even months down the line! We hope to inspire and give to others as much as you were able to take from it!
There have been many guests in the Oupa JANNIE since you started the wave last year! SO THANK you for helping us to get kick started! And check out the FACEBOOK Page to see how things have changed!!!!!!
Hope to see you, your friends and family again soon!
MUCH LOOOOOOOVE And appreciation!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Based in a set of old stone cottages which have been wonderfully renovated to give you modern convenience in an antique setting. Our rooms were generously sized with kitchen area. They led out onto a deck with dining area and beach view. Modern Plett is kept at bay by a wall of plants, but restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance. Annie is lovely and contributes to the cosy atmosphere. Warning for children: there is no TV here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I go to Plettenberg Bay 2 or 3 times a year and always stay here. Annie (the owner) is great, the location is superb and the rates are extremely reasonable. It's got a home away from home feeling, it's unpretentious, and if you want to arrange a dinner with friends, as i did last time, Annie is very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed (and I have done my fair share of travelling). The owner is really nice with and the accommodation is quirky, unique and romantic. The views are outstanding and sunsets amazing. So nice, I even proposed to my girlfriend!

Room Tip: If the bigger room upstairs is available, it is definitely worth the money!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

At first, I must say that Annie and thomas(owners) was very kind!
Second point is view of the house to ocean.
Third is their price that was very good.
I suggest this house to everyone that traveled to plettenberg bay.

• Stayed March 2012
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

overall we really loved the stone cottage on our trip. in fact it was our favourite of the garden route! (the view, the fireplace, the whirlpool). what a gem, we thought.
when we woke up one morning though we found out that someone broke into our room whilst we were sleeping in the bedroom next door with our baby! we didn't hear a thing and it was a very damaging experience psychologically. overall our camera, our wallet, clothes, two iphones and an ipad got stolen! we got promised from stone cottage that their insurance will cover for it, but after a couple of emails i just never got a reply from them ever again!
the story in the comments above that people never got their deposit back and stone cottage just ignored their phone calls sadly fits along these lines!!

the incident cost us a huge amount of money a lot of wasted time trying to cover it with insurance somehow (which never happened, even though there was a police report there was not a sign that someone broke in - only an open terrace window and a foot print on a window sill. inside job?) not to mention an emotional dent in an otherwise perfect garden route trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
AnnieLeRoux, Owner at Stone Cottage, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,
I was shocked and saddened to hear about your experience. The previous manager who was my tenant for 2 years has many costly mistakes which i intend to learn from. I am happy to be back in my own home after a 2 year traveling sabbatical and am managing it myself once again. I realize i have hard work ahead of me to regain the trust of my guests. At the moment we are very busy cleaning & renovating and are re-opening as a backpackers & lodge. I warmly invite fellow travelers to come and experience the magic of our 100 year old family home with us once again.
Warm Welcomes & Kind Regards
annie le roux
(owner of Stone Cottage since i inherited it from my grandparents)

Been to Stone Cottage? Share your experiences!