“Our National Arts Festival Home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sundial Inn Bed & Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grahamstown
Sundial Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added Sundial Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
4 Lawrence St | Corner of Lawrence and George Str, Grahamstown 6139, South Africa   |
Ranked #15 of 33 Grahamstown B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Our National Arts Festival Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Finding good accommodation for the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown is a very hit and miss affair and took us 4 attempts. Now Anna and Brian know we come each year and The Lavender Room is ours! If we don't make it, other friends will snap up the room, on the understanding we will be back. Anna and Brian are delightful hosts, for whom nothing is too much trouble. The room is always as warm and welcoming as they are and the little extras in the room such as speciality teabags, home baked biscuits and fruit show they really get to know their regulars. Breakfasts are delicious and as ample as you wish. Anna varies the offerings, particularly when for the NAF we stay for 11 nights. A packed breakfast is more food than we can eat in a whole day of driving back to Jo'burg. We have met people from all over on our stays and business people and academics are catered for as helpfully as tourists and Arts Festival visitors.

Room Tip: The lavender room is the biggest of the rooms but all are roomy and well equipped. Anna and Brian wi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I was going to a conference at Rhodes University and the organizers reserved a room for me at the Sundial Inn. Not knowing what to expect, I emailed the owners before I got there and received a friendly and helpful reply. But that did not prepare me for the incredible hospitality of the Clark family. Without being intrusive, they provided wonderful service and went out of their way to look after me. Brian Clark and his daughter gave me restaurant advice and took me out for a delicious Italian dinner one night. Since there is not much local transport, and I didn’t have a car, they also dropped me off in the morning at my conference and picked me up every evening after the conference dinner ended. On the last day they insisted on taking me to the airport in Port Elizabeth (cq) and visiting a game park on the way. Since then we’ve emailed each other a few times. Getting to know a local family added a lot to my visit as they’ve lived in the area for many years and were happy to answer my questions.

There were other guests in the b&b at the same time and we were all content. The breakfasts were fine and included cooked eggs. There was plenty of hot water and the wi-fi worked. The Sundial is about a 10 minute walk from the University and a five minute walk from downtown Grahamstown which is a classic university town with various cafes and restaurants on the main street. There are not many hotel rooms in Grahamstown so many people stay at B&Bs. Given the high level of service, I was very glad that I was put up at the Sundial Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sundial Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!