“Easily the worst place I have ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre

Save Saved
You added Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre to your Saves list
Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blue Bend Place | P.O. Box 2177, East London 5205, South Africa   |
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in East London
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Easily the worst place I have ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Having used tripadvisor for a few years now I have very rarely had to write a review of somewhere that I thought was truly terrible as I tend to avoid places which get those reviews. However as this hotel had very few reviews I took a bit of a risk and booked it anyway, I'm sorry to say that I really wish that I had not.

Rather than indulge in too much of a rambling and emotive narrative about what I felt was so very poor about this hotel I thought I would do a "pro's and con's" comparison to let other travellers make up their own minds about whether it deserves my 1 star rating:

Pro's

- Good location down on the riverside, with really excellent sunsets
- Friendly bar and restaurant staff

Con's

- Upon arrival I sat out on the terrace to enjoy the sunset only to fall backward and crack my head on the wall because the chair had only 3 legs. It was only luck that prevented me falling through the plate glass window. I took the chair to reception and explained what happened, they simply laughed. There was no apology, no conern for the guest, nothing, just laughter.

- We were told that the little grey electronic key would give us access to the beach by the river (one of the attractions of staying there). However when we went to use it we discovered that the path to the beach was cordoned off and had been entirely dug up - the beach was inaccessible. How the reception staff did NOT know this, I have no idea.

- Upon arrival I noticed that there was considerable construction work going on at the hotel - I asked whether our room was near it, "oh no" I was told. However, it was, of course, facing the construction site. Banging starts at 7.30am by the way - what a nightmare.

- Other trivial points would be that there were cockroaches in our room (nowhere else in our tour did we encounter this) and that the food is expensive for what it is.

My main concern would be that the reception staff were just so plain rude - not even a "did you enjoy your stay" on check out. Chairs can be fixed, constuction completed but if the same uncaring, incompetant staff remain then nothing really changes.

Oh...they then had the cheek to charge me for the room twice!!! (In fairness I did get the second amount refunded).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
BlueLagoonHotel, General Manager at Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear Vedev,
Thank you for your honest feedback about your stay at the Blue Lagoon Hotel, it is only through honest feedback like what we recieved from you that we can rectify our short comings. We sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations and rendering poor service to you.

At the time of your stay the hotel was nearing a completion of a major refurbishment, which I am delighted to say has been completed, this has included a new walkway to the beach and new patio furniture for the rooms amongst other improvements.

All feedback wether positive or negative is invaluable to us to set standards and benchmarks in order for us to improve or make improvements to our product.

Once again our sincere apologies for the poor service and facilities that you recieved.

Kind Regards
Peter

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

My daughters (12 and 8) and I travelled to East London, South Africa in June/ July to meet my husband while he was working overseas.We stayed for the better part of 2 weeks and were treated royally. It is situated on the Indian Ocean and the Nahoon River. Although it was winter there, the pool was lovely and the beaches fantastic for shelling and walking. Our 2 bedroom suite was comfortable and overlooked the Nahoon River as it emptied into the Indian Ocean. We could watch surfers at the famous Nahoon Reef from our spacious balcony/patio. Wonderful warm friendly staff! Clean facilities! Great bar and bartenders! Ideal location! Safe and secure! I would recommend this to anyone travelling to or through the East London area on business or vacation. It has everything you need, and if not Ian, the manager will get it for you! Fantastic experience!

• Liked — Location, view and warmth of staff
  • Disliked — matress comfort
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre

Address: Blue Bend Place | P.O. Box 2177, East London 5205, South Africa
Location: South Africa > Eastern Cape > East London
Bar / Lounge Beach Free Breakfast Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in East London
Hotel Class:4 star — Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Agoda, Despegar.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.