“Do not stay here!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Premier Hotel King David

You added Premier Hotel King David to your Saves list
Premier Hotel King David
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Inverleith Terrace, Quigney, East London 5211, South Africa (Formerly Protea Hotel)   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in East London
Tzaneen, South Africa
“Do not stay here!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

What a disaster! Some experiences...
Room was not ready for us at 15h00, had to wait and wait..
When asked about the safety of my vehicle based on the vagrants hanging around the area I was casually informed that my vehicle is not safe. I would have expected that reception would consider it their duty to warn guests of this... not wait to be asked!
Seriously noisy guests throughout the night. We approached the night manager and his response was "what must he do?"
We were part of a 500 plus delegation attending a national conference in East London and the informal discussions around tea by delegates unlucky enough to have booked into this hotel was every the plethora of 'disaster' stories of the King David hotel. Some delegates were so disgusted with the hotel they actually moved out after just one night and sought alternative accommodation. I could relate many more bad experiences but I think the message is clear... "Do not, ever, stay at this hotel!!!"

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Clean bedding.. unsafe parking. Noisy area. Ladies of the night advertising their wares outside. Man upstairs noisily enjoying their service. Good breakfast. Good service. But overall, the place made me feel uneasy...

• Stayed March 2013
Hyderabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Rooms though spacious but are are not very well built. NO LCDs. booked in this hotel by mistake thinking its Protea . Food was OK. Needs to renovate . Service is Quick though . The location too is a bit scary as in the evening you wont feel safe here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PremierHotelsSocial, Group Operations Manager at Premier Hotel King David, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and please accept my personal regrets should we have not met your expectation.

I am pleased to advise that the hotel is current in the throes of an extensive refurbishment programme which will realise a vastly improved product.

Furthermore, the relevant authorities are constantly being engaged by hotel management to ensure that the immediate surrounds is clean, well maintained and safe for all patrons. Our onsite security personnel are also very diligent in assisting in this regard.

Your positive comment pertaining to the speed of service delivery is appreciated and will be shared with all Associates.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and indeed, should you be travelling to East London, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally oversee your requirements.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Like my subject line says. !!!Not!!!Again!!!

I felt so unsafe!
So it started when I parked my car! I was surrounded by 4 guys wearing reflective jackets telling me they will look after my car, I opened my boot to remove my laptop bag and suitcase when the one was not making it a secret that he was trying to see what else is in the boot.

I checked in and while waiting for my room key I get looked up and down by 2 guys that looked like West African pimps and Drug lords standing in the foyer!! I race to get to the elevator--- 1910 style!! 1 man and 2 bags -- I was actually happy because that meant Laurel and Hardy from West Africa could not join me!!

I open the door to my room it smells like mould.
I have2 choices: 1. Go down and complain, with a risk of meeting Laurel and Hardy or 2. Man up! remember the military days and tell myself "this is not that bad"

I choose option 2 : only out of fear for Laurel and Hardy (military barracks were better and cleaner than this)

During the night 9 pm to 2am the passage outside my room is busier than London Heathrow in December!! I fear to check or confront!

5am I want to go to GYM-- NO GYM
5:30am decide to shower (July is middle of winter and Cold) NO HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The allow me to go and shower 5 rooms down!

Breakfast is served in the dinningroom, but before you get there you walk through a few rooms that looks like the sheriff just repossessed all the furniture!

I am glad
a) I'm alive
b) my client moved their offices to PE so I will never have to stay here again!!

Note to self : inform lady at Travel agent to NEVER book any of her clients there ever again!!

• Stayed July 2013
PremierHotelsSocial, Group Operations Manager at Premier Hotel King David, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and please accept my sincerest regrets for the challenges faced.
I am pleased to advise that the hotel is undergoing an extensive refurbishment programme of all public areas, conference facilities and guest bedrooms.
Furthermore, the management of the hotel is constantly engaging with the local authorities to assist in maintaining the area and keeping it clean and secure, and positive inroads in this regard have been witnessed.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts (Pty) Ltd.
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot and I have seen budget hotels bit this one is just one step above a cartel hangout!!

You get harassed by informal carguards (parking in The street is not the safe option and they have limited underground parking.)

Rooms does not smell fresh and you wonder what John was there for an hour booking with his Jane/Sue/Mary.

This is surely the last time I stay over here!!

Lesson learnt!! Should have told my p.a 'to check Tripadvisor before she booked here!

• Stayed July 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Why did I not check Tripadvisor first?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Their website is misleading!
It is the most horrible hotel in an unsafe and bad neighbourhood. There was noise all night long fron\m the streets. They have a "doorman" but Im not sure what his purpose is, he does not assist with luggage even though i was alone with a suitcase, handbag and laptop bag.
I requested a 2 pin plug i was told they do not have! No effort was made by the staff.
The hotel staff was unfriendly and unhelpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had the unfortunate experience to stay at this hotel when we visited East London for a conference. Unfriendly staff, dirty carpets, hairdryers not working, dated decor, Wi-Fi advertised, but not free, terrible neighborhood.... I could go on, but it will be a waste of valuable time. Just make sure that you check in at another hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.