“Unimpressive, Needs a Serious Facelift” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Court East London

You added Garden Court East London to your Saves list
Garden Court East London
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. John Baillie & Moore Streets | Quigney, East London 5201, South Africa   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in East London
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Unimpressive, Needs a Serious Facelift”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The breakfast spread is mediocre at best, with poor service and not enough attention to detail. The bathroom is rather disappointing as the duo functionality bath & shower needs to be seriously upgraded, while using the shower the space is so narrow that its so easy to injure oneself. The bed feels likes sleeping in a water bed and should be serously upgraded.The finer details of in-room service is generally poor, with the basic availablity of anemeties not up to standard. Its disappointing for the Tsogo Sun Group Hotel as the standard is rather poor. The pool was green and is so disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ianmackay1, General Manager at Garden Court East London, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear GeetaD

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on TripAdvisor and appreciate you bringing to our attention your comments that you experienced during your stay at the Garden Court East London. Please accept my sincere apology and I will be addressing all the points that you raised and assure you that this is not our usual standard.
In response to your point raised, Tsogo Sun has a 5 year refurbishment program where a number of hotels have been done to date, I happy to say we we are in this plan as it stands we will start with a full refurbishment of our bathrooms and hotel rooms in 2nd half of this year 2013. We have also completed the replacement of 130 new air conditioners and new LCD televisions in all our rooms during 2012.

We appreciate you bringing these comments to our attention, as we need to see the service from our guest point of view, as we strive to meet our guest’s expectations.

Thank you for deciding to stay with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Warm Regards
Ian Mackay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I reviewed this hotel during May 2009 and had problems mostly with the dinner offering in the restaurant and the poor service. Since 2010 I had to stay many nights at this Hotel because of a work situation. The restaurant offerings have improved a lot since my review in 2009 and the dinner buffet can now be considered as average. The chicken is very nice. Breakfast has also improved but is still average or just below average. I have also seen a huge improvement regarding service levels and I find the staff very attentive and friendly now that they know me. There are however still problems. The sea facing rooms are spacious but the furniture is tired. I have complained several times that the rooms are not properly cleaned. During my recent stay there was a bad smell in the bathroom, the toilet seat was broken and mold was forming in the air vents in the bathroom. Cleanliness should not be an issue. This is just bad management. The Hotel is expensive for what it has to offfer but with continuous government business I do not think they will drop their prices. I have seen some improvements but there is still a lot that management can do to improve and to provide a proper Tsogo Sun experience.

Room Tip: Request a corner room in the newer section!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend & myself we check in on the 15th dec, upon our arrival we went to reception where we found out that the room that we have booked in september has been taken. We wanted a sea facing room. Meaning that there is no point making reservations here in this hotel. Because on the 14th I did phoned to comfirm my booking. The room was clean,food was excellent especially the breakfast. I found the hotel staff not friendly enough. Management must deal with this, since I'm working in the hospitality industry I know what I'm talking about. For future the hotel need to have due date for paying deposit for stay, this will prevent any miss understanding. Non other the less we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Lekoma

Thank you for comments and feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will address the points you raised with my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Compliments for the New Year and all the best for 2013

Warm Regards
Ian Mackay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel left me unimpressed. The feeling I got is that it gets a lot of government business and this drives the standard down - not up. The spread at the buffet table is unimpressive, so is the breakfast service. And then there is the price which can only be termed expensive!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
south africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am attending meetings and workshops in East London quarterly . I was looking for a quiet and quality type of environment. It took me some time to find the right place . I was using different hotels at the beach front until i sort of discovered the garden court.
Their rooms are clean and up class. On arrival there is a plate of fruits on the table, and that is always welcome after a long trip from Port Elizabeth 300 km away. tea bags, coffee bags and milk are available.
The bathroom is very inviting and a shower on arrival is just irresistible.
There is a large swimming pool in the back of the hotel that i have never used personally but it makes for great viewing.
Being situated not far from the sea that one can see from the very convenient balcony means that sea waves assist you during your readings/ meditations times. It also helps for the sleep.
Prices are breakfast inclusive and that is really a good idea. Their breakfast consists of a buffet full of variety. Croissants and coffee are my favourites.
My personal beef would be with the staff that i find not very helpful in many instances. i think that management has to train them more in customer service.

Room Tip: Higher up and facing the sea
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
south africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Spent a weekend at this hotel during April 2012. A rather decent establishment with great sea facing rooms. The staff are friendly and made our stay an enjoyable one. The breakfast was truly grand. A clean neat serving area, a variety of foods and drinks. Free parking is available on the premises. Rooms are lovely, very spacious and very neat. Bathrooms are old but well maintained and spacious. Room service was excellent! The hotel is situated on the main Beach front area, close to shops and restaurants. Will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: value for money
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
port elizabeth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I would rate our whole weekend at the garden court quite pleasant, a few little things that they could improve aswell !!! breakfast has to be the main attraction and was really good and catered for many different people....the pool area is also well kept and very pretty !!
our room was o.k, 4 of us in 1 room was quite a challenge but we managed, we had to ask for more towels and tea cups as they had only catered for 2 people but we sorted that. there is no ventiliation at all in the bathroom so it got very smelly in there and musty, air ducts have to be put in to solve that problem.
we also unfortunately had very loud guests on both sides of our room which bugged us a lot, doors banging and music etc etc so i feel there should be more monitoring of noise by hotel staff!!!
probably my biggest gripe whilst there was we decided to have 1 drink at the bar ( thankfully it was only 1) when we went to sign i saw my wine cost R45 for a small glass....i nearly fell over, i am sorry but that is daylight robbery....i have been to many lovely hotels, bras and restaurants and never paid that much for a glass of mediocre/plain wine....if they brought their prices down little you would probably find more people socialising at the bar and making the stay a lot more fun. i complained to the manager and he sais he could do nothing about it, i am in the entertainment industry and i know if someone haas a gripe you try and solve it, offer another small glass of wine ot half the price maybe??? but i was told sorry, nothing we can do??? that is not client service in my eyes !!!
the beachfront area looks a bit dodgy and wenever felt safe enough to walk down there but it was pretty to see the sea from the hotel !!
all in all i woild stay there again but not more than 2 nights and definetly not drink at the bar!!!

Room Tip: try get a sea view room or a room overlooking the pool !!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Garden Court East London? Share your experiences!