“Not a good choice in East London” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Osner

You added Hotel Osner to your Saves list
Hotel Osner
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Court Crescent | PO Box 18065, East London 5211, South Africa   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in East London
“Not a good choice in East London”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was very dissapointed by the hotel and the hotel staff.
First of all they were very rude demanding me to pay for the room even when I told them I had already paid for it through an internet site. They woke me up during the night and told me that I had to come down and pay or leave. Nice way to treat a customer.
Another surprise was that the hotel advertised they offer internet. As a matter of fact I chose this hotel for that reason. It turned out that they don't offer internet, but there is an 'Always On' hotspot, which is available all accross South Africa, and they charge 20 US dollars a day to use a limited-transfer-slow-connection.
Last but not least, there are no plugs in the room to charge your devices, not even inside the bathroom.
I would definitely not go there again and not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Middelburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading some of these reviews I was expecting areal hostile hovel of a place. I was booked into the Osner by my client, so the choice was made for me. After reading the reviews I seriously considered booking alternative accommodation. Huge was my surprise when I arrived late on Sunday night. I Thought the place must have had a total revamp! True, nobody falls over their feet to help with luggage and the staf behind the counter do not brim with radiant smiles. As an afterthought I was offered a porter while I struggled past the book in counter with three heavy bags, which I declined as I realised I will be at my room before the porter arrives.

However, the place was clean and modern and the breakfast and dinner buffets in the restaurant had something for everyone, fresh tasty and well served.

Most ( I think all ?)rooms face the ocean and my room on the second floor had a filly opening slide window which I enjoyed.

The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. The bedding is white and crisp and clean.
No fridge in the room but kettel , cups and saucers and tea coffee is available. A Spar Supermarket is just around the corener as well as the Virgin Active Gym and the very classy Grazia restaurant is less than 5 minutes walk down the road.

The rooms are not brand new and modern but the TV works and a limited choice of channels are available. Always-On Internet is available but a little expensive in my opinion , it would be better to buy a local mobile simcard with a data package and use a mobile provider. Cell phone reception in this area is good.

The residential neighbourhood behind the Osner does not have a good reputation and I was cautioned not to walk on the beach after dark. I saw several vagrants and around the bottom of Oxford street about 2 km from the Osner , found several squatter shacks built next to the fence of the harbour where vagrants would be staying. El is an area with economic challenges so do take care.

The area around the hotel is sadly quite littered. Rate at the time I stayed was R580 singel and R330 pp sharing. The location is great , it is certainly not luxury accomodation , but it was clean and comfortabel and the food was great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Staying at the Osner Hotel with the Western Province Trialthon team, was certainly one of the worst hotel stays I have ever experienced. This hotel should in fact be demolished, along with the staff. It is dirty, the windows in the bedrooms have not seen cleaned in decades, along with the carpets, and bathrooms. The bedside lamps could be considered antiques at best, they were so old and dated. No rooms have hairdryers, and I tried repeatedly to get the use of one of the TWO hairdryers they have for the entire hotel, unsuccessfully of course. Then I requested fresh towels to be replaced in our room as my husband needed to shower after his event, only to be told that clean towels would be ready after 2pm. That indicates that they only have ONE set of towels per room. As for the reception staff, never have I had to deal with a more incompetent bunch of individuals, who had such lack of respect, as well as common decency it was astonishing. I was addressed on a few occasions as " Sissie", and told that I should phone house keeping, it was not their job. Checking out of the hotel was the best part of the entire experience, as it meant we were leaving and NEVER have to set foot back into that establishment that really is shameful in terms of what it offers.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

When I booked for ironman 70.3 weekend we were told all the kat leisure hotels were full except for the express apartments. When we got there these apartments were horrible. When we went to the expo we asked the Osner if they happened to have any space available, which they did. Being apart of the same group they also managed to transfer our account, so we didn't lose money. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The breakfast and food at the pasta party was divine. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bathrooms were a bit dated, and the rooms got really hot during the day (aircon didn't work very well) But all in all it was great value for money. Other hotels on the beachfront for same price are much worse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I’m giving Osner Hotel 4/5 because of the convenient location for Ironman70.3 This weekend is notorious for how busy and overbooked the hotels are. The official Ironman expo is in the Osner Hotel. The hotel sits across from the lawn where you collect and drop your bike if you had make use of The Bike Migration bicycle transport company – again very convenient. The hotel rooms are very spacious with a sitting room, which offers enough room for bikes and all the rest of your gear. All the rooms have a sea view with lovely windows which allow you to see the ocean even when lying down on the bed. Do not expect anything fancy, as the hotel rooms are older, but clean, comfortably and very spacious. The food that the hotel offer is great, with the official pasta party the night before the race held there. I recommend staying at the Osner for Ironman70.3.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room with aircon, as it can get very hot and humid in the summer months.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
East London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The hotel entrance and foyer can be misleading! Then you get to the reception for your check-in, then it goes downhill from there! Its a 3-star hotel according to the grading but there is little 3-star in the experience. The front staff are so bored, they really dont have time for you, and are clearly used to dealing with government departments, they dont even want to know your name, they just want to know which department booked you in. I think this is the sad state of most establishments on this East London, they market themselves as business and family tourist oriented, but really are just used to developing standards that are suited for government employees and exclude every other market from enjoying the experience. You walk away feeling that you were not welcome, you were a nuisance and your money is not important. Generally, this hotel is missing on great business in my view, the location is fantastic, but the service is its downfall, the furniture is old and the rooms need upgrading, just even the electrical connections!! I think I was supposed to be in an executive room, it had a sofa, and a bar looking thing, not sure what was executive, but at least the sheets were white and fresh!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

I am suprised at the other negative reviews of this hotel, given the price. At the time of booking (for the 70.3 Ironman) this hotel was exactly half the price of the (very similar) Garden Court across the road.

The hotel is old, and unfortunately the surrounds are not great. There is a lot of litter, and generally the whole area is a bit run down. This actually seems to apply to the whole of East London.

But the reception area, dining room and rooms have all been renovated and were clean and modern looking. My room was spacious, with a separate lounge area and two 3/4 beds, which were very comfortable, with clean linen. The bathroom was a bit cramped, and had a bath/shower combo with one of those nasty shower curtains. Although clean and perfectly adequate, the bathroom could have been spruced up a bit, and some of the furniture (eg draws) in yhe room needs attention.

Had a great sea view, and enjoyed leaving the sliding door open to allow the sea breeze in at night - which was essential, as the room had no air conditioning - only a rather ineffective ceiling fan (which was at least quiet). Had it been any hotter, the lack of air-con would have been a problem.

The reception staff were not overly friendly, but we're helpful, allowing me to check in at 10am, even though check in was only supposed to be from 2pm. The restaurant staff were very friendly, but the food (buffet) was very average at best. Rather eat elsewhere ... Although I'm not sure where...

All in all, considering it cost half the price of similar hotels in the area, I recon this is a good "basic" hotel that offers good value for money. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Hotel Osner? Share your experiences!