“I liked the old trucks, but otherwise this place is a dump.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 13 Attractions in Jerome
Type: Ghost Towns, History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: A quirky collection of mining artifacts, old cars and collectibles, housed in over 15 buildings.
Ohio, USA
131 attraction reviews
“I liked the old trucks, but otherwise this place is a dump.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

After spending the morning and early afternoon investigating the town of Jerome (a fascinating little berg, by the way), we headed out a dirt road past an old mine to the ghost town. Well, that’s what it is called anyway. It is really more of a junkyard. As far as attractions with and admission price go, this one is pretty weak.

While it is advertised as a ghost town, but it is really a collection of derelict buildings and a collection of old trucks and mining equipment in various states of disrepair. Granted there are several vehicles that have been fully restored and are in gorgeous condition, but for everyone one of those, there are probably ten that are just heaps of rusted iron. For someone who is really into old trucks and equipment, this would be a great draw. The old vehicles also provide some interesting photographic opportunities as well, so it was not a total loss. But the place was dirty; there were thick layers of rodent droppings covering several exposed surfaces. I would also have to say that this was a pretty unsafe place. Lots of rusty edges and moving parts that kids could run right into. Hey, I’m a National Parks guy, and I would rather deal with the risk of an exposed cliff rather than put up fences around the Grand Canyon, but this place is really over the top. I did not see any warning signs (they might have been there, camouflaged by the junk) or barricades around any of the operating equipment. To be fair, I did see a warning sign about snakes and there was a fence around the old gold mine. My wife did enjoy feeding the critters, a donkey, a couple goats and some chickens, and I got some interesting shots of the old wrecks, so I guess it was worth the $5 per person, but it is not a place to which I would return.

Grand Haven, Michigan
23 attraction reviews
“Fun and friendly people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

A great way to spend an hour or two exploring all the old machines on the property. Look closely. You never know what you'll find!

Wilmslow
15 attraction reviews
“Fantastic collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Firstly in truth this is not a museum nor a mine but one mans collection of the relics of the past hundred years or so. For those interested in construction, machinery and engineering it is a must see. There are some classic items to be found if you look closely. This site is where the owner Don lives and works. I can understand why some people don't get, but for me it was unique and worth my time and six dollars.

Manchester, United Kingdom
103 attraction reviews
“Great old classic vechicles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Not really a museum but a very large collection of well everything old. It has piles & piles of old gadgets, like blacksmiths tools, old shops and their contents. There is so much machinery a mechanic would have a field day. The collection of cars is amazing I would like to know if some still work as they look great after being out in the air.It is very interesting and worth a visit to be amazes at what people collect.

Visited September 2013
Seekonk, MA
“TOTAL JOKE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of the locals told us to take a trip to the Gold mine and Museum on our Jerome visit. As we entered the place we kept driving up the hill, you could obviously see this was a huge sham. We took pictures of the junk cars, trucks and other junk oddities on the way to the parking lot entrance.

My wife and I quickly looked at the building and the few movable parts in the rear and quickly turned around. Might be something nice if some real entrepreneurs took it over and made something belter out if it. Whoever runs it now is just buying time.

If you see the sign on Rt 89A..keep going, do not stop.

Visited September 2013