“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kaibab Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacob Lake
Kaibab Lodge
You added Kaibab Lodge to your Saves list
Az 67, Hc 64, Box 30, Jacob Lake, AZ 86022   |
Westminster, Maryland
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Two of us had booked a cabin here for 2 nights, but ended up staying only one. While the cabin we had was new and quite nice, the older units looked run-down. The lodge building itself looked in need of care - the window frames needed paint, for example. Sitting in the lodge using the internet (which was painfully slow, as I had been warned) I heard the staff discussing who would be cooking the next day, who would be waiting tables, and how upset the housekeeper would be to know that a unit had to be cleaned because the folks had decided to leave early. To me, this is unprofessional behavior. We decided to have breakfast in the restaurant and were told that things would be a bit slow since the cook was new. I have to say though, when we told them we were not staying the second night, they did refund all our money since we told them before check-out time.
All in all, though the cabin was nice, the whole experience did not merit the $199 a night price tag.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed 2 nights the first week in June. We stayed in one of the four unit cabins at the far end, which the reviews are rather negative about. I read the reviews after making the reservation, and made up my mind that We were going to be positive about this place. We had a very nice stay, and it was just as the person I made the reservation with, had advised. The first night, I was expecting to hear noises from animals or guests. However, it was so quiet, I could hardly sleep. I made up for that the second night, which was equally quiet. Our trips back and forth to the North RIm were exciting, as we saw Buffalo (or Beef-a-lo) and deer, and throughly enjoyed the short trips. The North RIm is beautiful and not near the visitors of the South Rim We're told. The staff at Kaibar were welcoming and responded to friendliness very well. On the last morning I asked if the owner was there as I wanted to meet the cheerful person I had initially made the reservation with. She was in the lounge talking with other guests, and just as friendly and cheerful in person as on the phone. She apologized for not being around the last couple days, as she had been taking guests on ATV trips into the Canyon. That's what we want for our next visit to Kaibar Lodge. In spite of all the negative things we've read about this place, we are unable to substantiate them. Because of reading the reviews, we did bring extra pillows, towels, a sleeping bag, and lawn chairs. We only used the lawn chairs. Where else can one find lodging in near proximity to the Grand Canyon in such a beautiful setting. One night, we sat and counted deer in the meadow (24 at one time) and later watched the stars in darkness that most have never dreamed about. We only had breakfast in the restaurant our last morning, and it was good. Servings were sufficient, and the staff pleasant.

Room Tip: Go with a good attitude and enjoy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Cost of 119.00 per night was way overpriced for room quality
I have stayed in much better places for less than half that amount
Would not recommend this place to anyone especially when they tell you when making a reservation that it is not cancellable

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Jacob Lake hotels

London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on Memorial Day weekend. We loved the scenery with over 60 deer just outside our cabin door. Like other reviewers I wanted a little cabin near the North Rim. Unfortunately it wasn't very clean - not sure if it was dust or mold. The bathroom smelled. The blinds didn't go all the way to the bottom of the window. To add insult to injury the cook couldn't even cook scrambled eggs properly for breakfast and the toast was warmed bread. When I asked on the second day about their oatmeal I was told it was instant from a bag. I settled on French toast which was fine. Our one dinner was rather unusual. Mine seemed to be leftover turkey that was steamed and fried and serve up as turkey dinner. My husband had wings which he was advised would be very hot and were not. The ranch sauce accompanying the wings looked and tasted terrible. This was our most disappointing and most expensive accommodation. From my research there wasn't a lot more to offer. We did stop at Jacob's Lake when we were leaving and the accommodation there seemed pretty busy.

Room Tip: Perhaps their newer units which are more expensive might be better. Don't waste your money on t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sun City, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

During our 9 days touring Utah's National Parks, my wife wanted to stay in a cute nice cabin. We found many in Utah but always full. When we go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon we saw Kaibab Lodge which did have some what appeared to be cute cabins. We took one of the right at a $100 a night cabins they had and what a dump. Small hard bed, couldn't get around it without bumping your knees into the end of the bed. The bathroom if you want to call it that was so small you had to step away from the sink to brush your teeth or your arms would hit the wall. The shower was so small that when you turned around you turned off in our case the hot water. To get one of the nicer cabins be prepared to pay close to $200.00 and I am not sure they are any nicer, just larger.
Motel 6 towels are in better shape. I think they get the towels motel 6 throws away. Old and raggity.
Would have rather slept in my car.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you rent it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Elko, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was told by the owner that the cabin we rented was FANCY. It wasn't. It was funky. No attention to detail, what so ever. The bottom sheet on my bed had a 2 foot square ripped out of it. The blankets were old and weird. The curtains were miserable and the shades had been ripped down and were thrown in the closet.

The food was HIDEOUS! $26.95 for a steak dinner that was the only meal I have ever sent back.

The natural setting of the lodge is remarkable, but the place needs management that cares and employees who don't just saunter around smoking - instead of doing the simplest of duties - like sweeping the walkway into the front desk area.

Room Tip: Go ahead and stay here but be advised, the place is FUNKY! And take your own food!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Littleton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at the Kaibab Lodge May 24-26, 2013 and had a very positive experience. The cabins were neat, clean & comfortable. It was remote, peaceful & quiet, and a great place to get a good nights sleep! The lodge gift shop is very quaint, with unique jewelry and other items hand-crafted by locals. The scenery at the Lodge is beautiful. It was wonderful to watch the deer from the restaurant window as we ate dinner. They put on quite a show, playing & frolicking in the fields! The next day we saw a herd of buffalo right down the road.

We really enjoyed the restaurant. The food was great, especially the ravioli. The bartender (Beau) was very friendly and provided great service. It was great way to unwind after a long day of hiking.

After we hiked the canyon in the morning, we took an ATV tour in the afternoon. It was an excellent way to further explore the property. We stopped for a break at a spot with breathtaking views of the canyon, and were provided with snacks/drinks & homemade baked goods. Ellen, the tour guide was very knowledgeable & hospitable. She was a wonderful host during our stay.

Overall I would highly recommend the Lodge for a stay at the North rim. It is conveniently located, the staff is very friendly & helpful, the scenery is beautiful and the accommodations are quite comfortable. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kaibab Lodge? Share your experiences!