“Way Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jacob Lake Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacob Lake
Jacob Lake Inn
You added Jacob Lake Inn to your Saves list
US 89A & AZ Hwy 67, at State Route 67, Jacob Lake, AZ 86022   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Jacob Lake B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Way Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Having only passed Jacob Lake Inn before, I was intrigued but knew nothing about it. The rates were so reasonable, and it wasn't rated by AAA, that I began to think, well, maybe it's not as great as it appears. I could NOT have been more wrong! I entered a beautiful and inviting encampment, nestled in the woods, with many delightful surprises: not only a dining room but a large counter space for more informal eating or snacking, a full gift shop with many bargains, comfy sitting lounge, a bakery counter and grocery store, and such nice and friendly staff people. The two-room cabin my friend and I shared was comfortable and charming and fun! And we loved our deck with an open view of the woods.

All in all, an incredible experience. I will love to come back and will heartily recommend it to all.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
manassas, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

This little inn was a lot of fun. The food in the dining area was very good and reasonably priced. Cookies are fantastic. I liked the gingersnaps and bought a few for the trail. People who stay here are very nice and diverse. I met a teacher and his wife. I also met a retired guy who was a biker. I stayed in a cabin and was very comfortable without air conditioning in July. Does this place show its age? Yes, but gracefully. The bed in the cabin was not old. The mattress was quite firm and the linens cool and smooth. The bathroom was small but very clean. The owners of this inn keep the place up but, hold on to the charm of the old time motels.

• Liked — clean and the bed was good
  • Disliked — lighting could be brighter
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Pickerington, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

This was the second leg of our Grand Canyon trip. My family and I (2 adults+14-y-o) arrived here close to midnight on July 5, after driving straight over after watching the sunset at Hopi Point on the South Rim. (The drive was not bad at all; 65-70 mph most of the way and somewhat adventurous, but safe). We were only supposed to stay at the JLI until the 7th, but we were so impressed by our room and what we could see on the drive, that we changed our plans and stayed an extra night. The JLI is a small complex of buildings; the main building with lodge/restaurant/store/gift shop, 2 small hotel/motels, various-size cabins and a full-service gas station, all surrounded by beautiful Ponderosa pines. There are other places to stay on the North Rim, but they are right off the highway and out in the open. The JLI is in the beautiful (and cooler) Kaibab National Forest. It is right at the junction of route 89A and the road to the North Rim entrance station (which is 44 scenic miles away). We stayed in the newer part of the Inn (cable TV, phone, elevator). Our room (#108), located on the first floor of the 2-story building, had an interior entrance door on one end and a small rail-enclosed patio at the other. The second-floor rooms have balconies. The rooms on the front of the building had the patios/balconies facing the parking lot, while the rooms at the back had the patios/balconies facing the woods. As we didn't know this when we booked, we got a nice bonus - our room faced the woods. If you book here, ask for one of woods-facing rooms (you have to request this over the phone as you can't do it online). But don't worry, even if you don't get a woods-facing room, the entire place is very quiet and peaceful, and the rooms are so nice and comfortable, you won't be disappointed. Our room had two very comfortable queen beds, a roomy bathroom (although places to set toiletries was limited) with a shower stall only. The room was spacious and eclectically decorated ( a mix of antique/new furniture, but it was nice). Average amount of drawer space with
an armoire, but no big deal; my wife and daughter usually get the dressers and I live out of my suitcase, anyway. The satellite TV reception was great, with lots of channels. It had an elevator and an ice machine. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and accommodating when we needed something extra. There is a good-sized area with play equipment for kids on the premises. It takes 2 minutes to walk (or you can drive) to the main building where the restaurant is located. In addition to a dining room, the restaurant has a large counter which seats around 20 people. The dining room looked nice, but we always ate at the counter (I like talking to people and counters are a good way to dine with and meet other people). Service was prompt and the food was good (try the Kaibab Pancakes - they are delicious!) We only ate breakfast there as we were out all day, but other guest told me the lunch and dinner meals they ate were good, also. The gift shop is big and well stocked with plenty of items to browse and choose from, with something for everyone. We saw the Grand Canyon lodge when we went to the North Rim and actually ate dinner there one night, but we were glad we stayed at the JLI; it was quieter, with fewer people. The only negative I comment I have pertains to the restaurant hours; last seating is at 8 p.m., 8:30 at the counter and it closes at 9. We stayed to watch the sunset at Cape Royal, but that meant we couldn't make it back in time to have dinner, so we ate at the GC lodge, which is open til 10, but a little pricier. TIP: You can get food to go and take it with you or get sandwiches/pizza at the GC lodge deli before it closes and keep it in a cooler until dinnertime. With its different and pleasant atmosphere, our stay at the JLI enhanced our whole North Rim experience. It reminded me of a modernized-summer camp, and I totally mean that as a compliment. It has a rustic, eclectic charm that evokes a nostalgic, peaceful and relaxed feeling; a nice fit for its environment. As this was the only place we stayed at when we went to the North Rim, I can't comment on the other places that are there, but our experience at the JLI was EXCELLENT and this would definitely be our choice if we come this way again!

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

We could not have been happier. Our room was perfect, the food was delicious and we have never before experienced such a total friendliness on the part of the entire staff withoust exception.
The Inn's website failed to impress me, however.It does not do justice to the product it is selling. I would suggest more photos of the rooms being offered.

Stayed July 2008
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We reserved three rooms one of which was to be handicap and when we got there they didn't give us a handicap room (I was told one was handicap but didn't check it until my father arrived after the desk had closed). My father couldn't shower or bath, he had to have help (two people) to get on and off the toilet and his wheel chair could not navigate the room. When I addressed the situation the next morning the girl said "what do you want me to do about it now". When we asked for a manager we were told there were several and also several owners so good luck.
This was the only property in two weeks of travel that gave us a problem with a handicap room.
We will report them to the ADA.

Stayed July 2008
poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I'd recommend this place for people traveling to the north rim. When there's no room available in the motels or campgrounds at the rim, that's the best place to stay the night or few. The cabins are modest but clean. The standard and amenities were just as described on the jacob lake inn website.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Desert Hills
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

we loved the cabin...but our shower drain was backing up very bad as we showered...we loved the gift shop the lobby...the food was great.. thanks janet and michael

• Liked — the bed was great.
  • Disliked — shower drain
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Jacob Lake Inn? Share your experiences!